problem with stock

Thread: problem with stock

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default problem with stock

Hello all,

New guy here with a need for help with surfcam. Can not find an answer after searching through lots of forum posts and all.

I am trying to program a part in surfcam for a 3 axis mill and having trouble with the stock set up.

I create a circle at the depth that material is left from the lathe work and am having trouble with an error that says tool 1 is skipped, because nothing to cut.
    If I change the diameter of the circle a little bit smaller maybe 1/4 inch it works fine... but that wont work right when trying to cut it on the mill.

Thanks in advance!
    AB

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: problem with stock

here is what is happening . with truemill 3 axis

if I create a circle (stock diameter) 4.2 diameter I can get the tool path to work but unfortunately the stock is 4.5. cant seem to get it to work. It also skips a few surfaces that I need to machine.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails problem with stock-img_5973-jpg   problem with stock-img_5972-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been using Surfcam for 10 years and never gotten 3axis Trumill to work correctly. Admittedly I quit trying after getting the same error the first few times.

Try using 2axis Trumill at each Z lvl or use Adaptive Rough.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

for anyone that may have the same problem/ is interested..I figured out how to not get that error message. I created a circle at Z0.0 dia 4.5. I then went to create-surface-trim ( I think) and cap the circle. Then when I went to 3 axis trumill I choose the surface I made for material type (not top profile as before) and changed a few parameters and the tool path was what I wanted and it worked. Now if only the machine will read it corrrectly LOL

I did try the adaptive rough but took too long thank you tho for replying!

AB

Downloads
    Uploads

Mind = Blown

Downloads
    Uploads

Truemill has been unsupported since around 2010. I guess when the law suit with VoluMil was settled the owners of SurfCam (back then) lost interest in Truemill and for some strange reason, they didn't sell Truemill to Vero when Vero bought SurfCam. Truemill is a separate product that you can still get with SurfCam traditional but it is totally unsupported and you can't get any help for it, if you have kept it going you are basically paying support fees for something that you get no support for. I officially reported some major issues to SurfCam back around 2011 and have never heard a word back.

Truemill had some great potential, far as I know (which ain't much), many of its mutli-tool step reduction roughing strategies using STL stock models are still locked up under patents and the patent holders are known to be very tenacious at tracking down and dragging patent infringers into long drawn out expensive court battles.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with machinister. We stop paying maintenance because they stopped supporting what they were selling. It's as simple as that. I'm sure we were not alone.

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW... If you had full 5 axis Surfcam (traditional) and added the new Surfcam 2016 R1 (EVO) at that same level for free. Say Hello to your new maintenance bill of $6,300...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinster View Post
    BTW... If you had full 5 axis Surfcam (traditional) and added the new Surfcam 2016 R1 (EVO) at that same level for free. Say Hello to your new maintenance bill of $6,300...
    lol! You fell for it!

For what its worth. Ours maintenace was gonna be $7000 for 2 seats of advanced milling, standard turning and wire. And about $8100 for 2 seats of ultimate milling, standard turning and wire. All that on top of paying for the upgrades.

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL....

Yes I did... Yeah, its steep but its not so bad, they told me that I can go back to just traditional and pay the same amount as in years past, so it's not like I'm not stuck with paying for it forever.

However, I am seriously thinking about keeping EVO, I really think that it's the wave of the future... I've spent some time working with it, and there really is a lot to like about it, but as usual, some stuff there, not so much...

So I guess the jury is still out...