Can there be a "starting point for those who know nothing" forum?

Thread: Can there be a "starting point for those who know nothing" forum?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can there be a "starting point for those who know nothing" forum?

I'm here and signed up because literally, I know nothing about CNC except what the concept is. Yet, I am having a hard time finding any clear "cnc for dummies" kind of forum, or other collection of information here (or anywhere).

Is something along that line a possibility here?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can there be a "starting point for those who know nothing" forum?

Try Goggle, "getting started in CNC"
    OsD

Downloads
    Uploads

Did a search seam to find a lot of info- http://www.cnczone.com/forums/google...ref=&ss=8j64j2

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The "getting started" google search found me this forum (and some other places) and a lot of advertising

As for searching here, I did that, and have been through some threads (well, quite a few) and that's what's brought me to this question, actually.

I'm spending more time trying to find out what I don't know than finding answers to what I want to know, because I don't even know what to look for.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem is it is a wide subject that covers a few disciplines, Electrical, electronic, mechanics, pneumatics etc.
    And then you have so many types of machines for all the various functions, lathe, mill, plasma, punch etc.
    There are books out there such as Computer Numerical Control by Warren S Seames and others that give an overall concept and programming.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

First of all what you Want to achieve ? School ? A Job ? Hobby ? Fixing something ? Building a machine ? Retrofit ? Inventing ? ,...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Just check out one of the numerous build logs here and from the questions and answers posted you'll learn a lot about cnc.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    First of all what you Want to achieve ? School ? A Job ? Hobby ? Fixing something ? Building a machine ? Retrofit ? Inventing ? ,...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
    I want to make parts out of aluminum and steel.

I am quite well versed in electrical, electronics, computers and programming and scripting and digital communication, be it serial, parallel, or networking. I've been working with things like that since the 80's.

I know nothing about cnc machines, what kinds there are (I comprehend the difference between a lathe and fixed arbor, moving bed or fixed bed, moving arbor, etc) and what I want to know is what kind of machine can do what of things. I don't understand the terminology for things, either.

Further, I don't see much reference material for what tools cut what. I realize it's "out there" somewhere, I was just hoping that someone, somewhere, had a nice compilation of things you need to know, from the ground up.

Downloads
    Uploads

No, the info is pretty much a smattering of bits and pieces all over the place with some sites having more detailed info on partial specifics, such as gantry design, calculating load, etc.

Building a machine to do aluminium is no problem, but as soon as you start talking steel, your in a whole different ball game.

Suddenly the commonly available and cheap spindles you would use for wood, plastic or aluminium aren't suitable at all for steel, and you instead need a milling head designed specifically to cope for that.

Machining steel also exerts tremendous forces on the machine, and unless your very handy with a MIG welder, and plan to build a substantial and reasonably heavy machine to cope with the stresses, you'll find your cutters will blunt extremely fast, and the machine will eventually vibrate itself to death in the worst case. Not to mention the unholy noise you and everyone else within 1/2 km will be subject to during machining.

Then of course you have the issue that normal linear rails may not be suitable in this role.

The very basic rule of thumb, is:

Speed, torque, and accuracy (repeatability) are directly proportional to the quality of drivers, power supply, drivescrews, and linear rails used.
    The harder the material to machine, the more mass and rigidity a machine needs to machine it comfortably. A cheap machine made of MDF can machine aluminium after a fashion, by taking numerous shallow cuts, but it's not really practical.

Below steel you can almost get away with anything by sacrificing speed, depth of cut, accuracy, etc. Steel is a complete game changer, and is why you see many hobbyists with a 700kg vertical mill in their basement.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    No, the info is pretty much a smattering of bits and pieces all over the place with some sites having more detailed info on partial specifics, such as gantry design, calculating load, etc.

Building a machine to do aluminium is no problem, but as soon as you start talking steel, your in a whole different ball game.

Suddenly the commonly available and cheap spindles you would use for wood, plastic or aluminium aren't suitable at all for steel, and you instead need a milling head designed specifically to cope for that.

Machining steel also exerts tremendous forces on the machine, and unless your very handy with a MIG welder, and plan to build a substantial and reasonably heavy machine to cope with the stresses, you'll find your cutters will blunt extremely fast, and the machine will eventually vibrate itself to death in the worst case. Not to mention the unholy noise you and everyone else within 1/2 km will be subject to during machining.

Then of course you have the issue that normal linear rails may not be suitable in this role.

The very basic rule of thumb, is:

Speed, torque, and accuracy (repeatability) are directly proportional to the quality of drivers, power supply, drivescrews, and linear rails used.
    The harder the material to machine, the more mass and rigidity a machine needs to machine it comfortably. A cheap machine made of MDF can machine aluminium after a fashion, by taking numerous shallow cuts, but it's not really practical.

Below steel you can almost get away with anything by sacrificing speed, depth of cut, accuracy, etc. Steel is a complete game changer, and is why you see many hobbyists with a 700kg vertical mill in their basement.

cheers, Ian
    Well, I'm not all that interested in building said machine, for the reasons you gave.

But, as you said, things are scattered badly. That's why I asked if there was a chance there'd be either some static pages, or a forum for the "hopelessly newb" people like me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You,
    Paul G

Check out-
    [URL="http://www.signs101.com"]www.signs101.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncadmin View Post
    I did look it over, but it all seemed to be for building your own CNC machine, which is dramatically more difficult if you want to work with steel, rather than softer, non-ferrous metals.

I had more of an idea of buying a smaller used machine in mind for said purposes. It's the rest (and how to pick said machine) that I'm not doing so well on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ian your post was well reasoned & well written. OP I feel your pain: I spent 3 years detailing cabinets in CabinetVision even running the machine on occasion, and now that I am going deeper, I have been frustrated that there is no spoonfeeding available. Until reading Ian's post I'd never thought about why. I think he nailed it.
    I am in the optimistic stage of rebuilding a 4'x8' wood cutting machine that was setting fallow for several years. I have untold hours reading forums, reading product reviews (I am completely replacing the motors & electronics), and watching YouTube.
    If you live near an urban area (I don't), google "Makers Fair" and the city name. Its a huge movement of mechanical nerdism that might provide more knowledge than you can cope with.
    -Bruce

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I clomped onto this video to share with friends that have enough interest for a 9 minute overview of the entire process. Maybe it will fit some pieces together in your understanding.