For example, you shouldn't, in my opinion, order a power supply until you know what motors you are getting. You shouldn't order a stepper controller until you know what motor size (power) you are buying. One decision affects the other.
This I understand, that's why I'm here. I know what I want to do with the machine, I know the weights of things.
What I don't know is how to do the calculations. And I know from reading the threads on this site that NEMA 34 motors are what I need (However, Nema 23 will work, but not idea).
I've seen that site you linked, and many others, but it's all greek to me. I'm not very good in math and have no idea what information the formulas are requesting.
I've even tried using the nice worksheet they have on Oriental Motor site. I don't understand what is being asked.
These are what they ask for:
It also asks for:
- Weight of Load (W1) = ____ lb
- Friction Coeffeicient of the Guide (”) = ____ (0.5, 1, 3, 5)
- Rack Weight Rack Mass (W2) = ____ lb/pc
- Pinion Pitch Diameter (DP) = _____ in
- Pinion Pitch Weight (WP) = ____ lb/pc
- System Efficiency (ƞ) = ____ %
- External Force (FA) = ____ lb
- Primary Gear Pulley (Gear) Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) or Diameter (Dp1) = ____ in
- Primary Pulley (Gear) Weight (WP1) = ____ lb
- Secondary Pulley (Gear) Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) or Diameter (DP2) = ____ in
- Secondary Pulley (Gear) Weight (WP2) = ____ lb
- Mechanism Angle (α) = ____ °
- Stopping Accuracy (Δ|) = ±____ in
- Safety Factor ____ (1.5, 1.75, or 2)
Fixed speed operation: Operating Speed (V1) = ____ in/sec
Variable Speed Operation : Operating Speed (V1) = ____ in/sec ~ (V2) = ____ in/sec
Positioning Operation: Rotor Inertia (JO) = ____ oz-inČ
Gear Ratio (i) = ____
Where do I find these values?