eBay TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver Boards - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: eBay TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver Boards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face Another tb fried at 36v

Sorry for the misfortune you had. They need to rerate the board to a lower voltage. Maybe you can run 36v but with only a certain size or design. Can a motor design or size affect the amps/volt combo or is it my lack of understanding electric properties. It sounds like they did work fine at lower voltage. Thanks for the good advice.

It sounds like maybe my nema17's at 18v aren't as big a joke as I thought. I was looking for a 4axis at a good price. Even hobby circut were more. Hopefully it will work fine for me. I planed on using four of them for hot wire machine. I wonder what motor/volt work best with these. I thought I could upgrade to a bigger motors later. Maybe not. At least not too much bigger

The board that Tony promotes has a different looking design. Anyone using his? Anyone using his. it looks different than this hyu board. They make commercial cnc machines so it would be nice to find out what they rate the machine they go into.

Downloads
    Uploads

My chip remained in tact. I only heard a small pop and the distinct odor of burning electronics. After powering down the board, further inspection by smell pinpointed that it indeed was the driver chip that failed.

At the time of failure, the motor was just holding, not turning. I had just finished testing at 30VDC. My plan was to slowly turn it up to 36VDC, since I had already purchased a 36V power supply for the board. I never made it past 32VDC.

I have a board on order as shown in the pictures posted by Tony, except that I had ordered it through Ebay before Tony added to this blog. I e-mailed Tony and he confirmed that his board can be run at 36VDC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There seems to be no protection from spikes on the power rails.

I am looking at ways to try and clamp any voltage spikes, using somthing like MOV and or Zener Diode.

The other thing I noted wile testing is how hot the 5volt and 12volt reg's get once you pass 20ish volts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rchacich View Post
    The motor ran the smoothest on the slow decay mode.
    I hadn't fiddled with this setting until you mentioned this Ron thanks! I tried the setting and found with my smaller motors that the fast decay setting was smoothest.

Also I have found that with an increase in voltage there doesn't seem to be much to gain and the motors are drawing less current. With my 249oz-in stepper motors at 16v with no load they are drawing an extra 190ma, my system ready but sitting idle draws 440ma for a total of 630ma. But at 27.5v the motors draw only 110ma extra with a system idle draw of 340ma with only very slight improvements in speed and torque.

From what I have seen there seems very little benefit to pushing the limits with this board. One thing is for sure they are definitely not a 36v driver! This info may be of help to those considering purchasing the board and PSU.
    Lachlan

Downloads
    Uploads

I am no expert on stepper motors and drivers, but I have done some testing in the past. Power is current X voltage. It makes sense that when you turn up the voltage, the current will decrease at a certain load. The higher voltage should allow you to maintain torque at a higher rpm. Testing the motor at no load would be very different than when it is actually running a machine. Unfortunately, I didn't get that far so I won't be able to share that information. I will do some more testing once I receive my next board (red PCB from Ebay, I believe it is Tony's board). I will run the new board at 24VDC and see its performance on a new portable cnc plasma table that I am developing. Based on all of my experience with stepper drivers, if you can afford $299 for a Geckodrive G540, you will be extremely happy with the performance. If you can only afford $80, you may have something that works, but it is not in the same league as a Geckodrive. I wasn't happy with the performance of the Toshiba TB6560 when it was running due to the noise, smoothness, and maximum rpm during my twenty minutes of testing. The question is, how will it perform in the actual application? TBD
    Ron

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rchacich View Post
    At the time of failure, the motor was just holding, not turning. I had just finished testing at 30VDC. My plan was to slowly turn it up to 36VDC, since I had already purchased a 36V power supply for the board. I never made it past 32VDC.

I have a board on order as shown in the pictures posted by Tony, except that I had ordered it through Ebay before Tony added to this blog. I e-mailed Tony and he confirmed that his board can be run at 36VDC.
    Sorry for bringing you back on earth but the chip is limited to 40V ABSOLUTE maximum.
    Steppers are inductive load, so inductive spikes are unavoidable. Clipping spikes does only damp the spikes. With the relativ low savety distance of 36 vs 40V you will likely cross the point of no return again.

A save H-bridge design for inductive load uses components with about twice the breakdown voltage of the actual supply voltage.
    With TB6560 I fear going beyound 24V is stretching your lack. May be we get it savely running at 30V if the board design is good, wiring of the motors optimal and the motors don't give to much glitches.

If you want to run with higher voltage better spend more on discrete stepper driver modules.

Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys,
    I'm having very similar issues to other when using these chinese boards. I'm get a voltage that locks up my motors but doesn't achieve much else!

I link the itmes that i'm using in the hope that someone can offer me some advice or a manual that they have found useful as the board that i'm using seems different to evryone elses.
    PSU
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...s&form=KEYWORD
    Board
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...s&form=KEYWORD
    Motors
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

I'm starting to think that my power supply is underpowered. Can anyone help?

Cheers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's the board that should have been in the previous post.
    Board
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230397418334

Thaks,
    Evo.

Last edited by evo5422; 12-06-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by evo5422 View Post
    Here's the board that should have been in the previous post.
    Board
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230397418334

This board it's built around a3977 (and I say that it's a good choice) , in this case maximum supply it's 35V. However choosing 24V supply I think that it's apropiate.
    When you say that you don't achieve much else it means that motors doesn't have enough strength ? Maybe choosing some motors Nema 23 ?

Anyway thread it's about TB6560...

Regards,
    Daniel

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by evo5422 View Post
    2.5Amps is realy to weak.
    I'm using a 6A PSU, but that's no hard 6A limit but the power disipation limit at 50°C. The PSU can deliver 8A at 20°C, I'm shure the current limit is a little higher.
    But I only use 3 channels of a 5-channel board with 1.5A current setting (TA8435).
    The A3977 can be set to 2A on those boards. That is for one channel, one phase. If you use full step one channel alone has a draw of 4A when both phases are powered.

regards Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default TB6560 connected motors very noisy at rest.

Hi all...

I have a 4 axis TB6560 board from Ebay (Mega Supply) running two 1.5A 100oz-in motors and a 3A 425oz-in motor. I am using a PC PSU to supply 12V. to the card.

My issue is that the motors are EXTREMELY noisy when at idle (whine/hiss). The TA8435 drivers I have used with these 1.5A motors in the past were absolutely silent. I have tried 2 different PSUs and fiddled with the decay mode (tried Fast and 50%), however the noise remains.

Could this problem be related to my use of a 12V PC PSU? I was intending to go to 24V soon to increase rpm (max is about 120 right now) anyway. From other posts here I think 24V is the absolute maximum I will be trying with this card.

From my limited knowledge, the increase in voltage should allow the current limit to be reached sooner. If the 12V supply is not driving the motors hard enough I guess that the motors might not be reaching their current limit within the PWM period, thus causing the noise... But I could be COMPLETELY wrong - any feedback would be most gratefully received.

AFAIC The noise is more disconcerting than anything, however as I ran these motors (except the 425oz-in) silently with the TA8435 driver I would really like to quieten them down somehow.

Cheers,

Robo...

Downloads
    Uploads

Robohobby,
    I had the same problem with noise (whine/hiss) when I was testing my board with 2.7 amp 276 in-oz motors and a benchtop regulated power supply. I tested at 24V and 30V and no improvement with the noise. Vibration was also much more prevalent than with other drivers. I believe your problem is the driver itself.
    Best Regards,
    Ron Chacich

Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Robo & Ron,

Are the current set resistors on the driver board composition or wire-wound?

Wire-wound current set resistors will cause the motor to make lots of noise.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by robohobby View Post
    My issue is that the motors are EXTREMELY noisy when at idle (whine/hiss). The TA8435 drivers I have used with these 1.5A motors in the past were absolutely silent. I have tried 2 different PSUs and fiddled with the decay mode (tried Fast and 50%), however the noise remains.
    Didn't have the TB6560 an adjustment for the current decay time ?
    As I understand it this for making a compromise of keeping the current constant during the step width and decay fast enought for the next step.

In one setting (100% decay) the current starts decaying once it triggers the max current threshold. This effectivly means you get a saw tooth current shape that might be more noisy than the level one.
    I guess the fast mode (both switches off) is called 100% decay in the spec.
    Try the other two settings also as they reduce the current ripple more.

Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Folks

I have just re-read the data sheet on the Toshiba chip TB6560. There are as is often the case some weasel words. In particular the switch on and switch off proceedure is given in detail with much emphasis on the order of shutting down as well as starting up. So much so that it is very probable that this is a very important. Power to the chip logic has to have been applied and stabilised befor the motor power. The chip has to be reset and then enabled and the instructions are written in such a manner that this appears to be very important. If I am understanding this correctly some of these cards have an onboard stabiliser for the logic of the chip deriving its power from the motor supply line. If this is so then it is highly probable that the first condition specified on the chip data sheet is not being complied with. Secondly the enable and reset sequence appears to be necessary to ensure the chip starts in the correct mode. Also that when shutting down the motor current is zero so there is no back emf generated to damage the chip?

I also note that the application circuit is for a 24 volt application and that the maximum specified chip voltage is 40 volts (V_MBA) is a voltage maximum at 25 degrees centigrade. (Yes the chip has over temperature protection to shut down the drive but this is not the same as the derating of the over voltage parameters.) No V_MBA derating is quoted for a warm chip. In addition the decoupling of the board is indicated although I would have expected the decoupling to have been chip side of the fuse. i.e. the capacitors fitted directly accross the chip and this may be what is meant by placing the power capacitor close to the chip.

A further point made on the data sheet is that the motor when being slowed down acts as a generator and tries to pump power back into the power supply. With long leads this could generate overvoltage transients even with a mamouth capacitor in the supply as the currents will be very peaky and of quite a magnitude compared to the controlled 'on' currents. This would be further evidence that the voltage should be restricted. Driving a heavy table / head with a ballscrew that can back driving the motor during braking.

These are just observations as I have opted for modular drivers as I need the acceleration from much higher motor voltages.

Good luck - regrards

Pat

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,
    thought I'd add to this forum as I've also got the TB6560 from Mega-supply. I haven't as yet got a proper power supply, so I've been using 2 x 7ah 12v sli batteries. I got the 4 axis board as I am using it with a mini milling machine that I built myself and thought maybe I will make a rotary table for it? The machine currently has 3 x 1.8amp 4volt motors fitted to the lead screws. I have found the board to work quite well considering the price.
    I have done some basic tests with the different options available on the board eg current, half step etc. It is using about 3.7amps with the 3 motors stationary on 1:1 step full current. It seems to operate the motors quite smooth at 1:8 step with full current, they don't get very warm also and only use about 2 amps stationary.
    I have also noticed the 5 and 12 voltage regulators getting fairly hot, I hope this isn't going to cause a problem? perhaps they need their own fan? the rest of the board remains quite cool including the resistors and main chips.
    The motors also seem a little noisy at park and slow speed, kind of like an old 56k modem. Adjusting the decay to fast seems to help a bit.
    Hope this helps, Cheers

Last edited by MadMachines; 12-21-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default TB6560 Card not picking up estop/limit inputs

Well I guess I must be getting used to the hiss noise - after a couple of hours I am already desensitised... That and the massive mains fan I am using to cool the driver enclosure - I would rather not fry any more diodes...

I upgraded my power supply from a PC PSU to a 150W switchmode 24V one and am quite happy with the increase in speed. Had to play around with the acceleration though as everything was going fine in the Mach motor tuning screen, but when other motors were also running I was occasionally stalling the motor. Does this suggest my power supply is deficient? At least the overkill on airflow should mean the regulators do not get a chance to get too hot. Wish I had gone to 24V with my TA8435 based machine from the start.

I finally got round to hooking up my limit switches and have found the card does not pass any of these signals back to the parallel port. Damn... I have a big job to cut and cant afford to babysit the machine.

I have kludged up a short DB25 extension cable that allows me to connect the limit switches direct and that is keeping me out of trouble for the time being, however I would much rather use the opto isolation built into the card.

Does anyone know what I could look at to diagnose this issue? I don't really have the time or patience to send the card back right now, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,

Robo.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default TB6560 Card Spindle Control Circuit

Hi again.

I just thought I would post how I connected my spindle to the TB6560 card as there was nothing in the instructions detailing this, and I'm sure someone will find it handy, even though it is quite basic.

My card has a 4 pin connector for the spindle. This is labeled MIN GND GND MOU. I will refer to the two ground terminals as GND(1) and GND(2). When you enable the spindle motor MIN and MOU conduct - this is very different to my TA8435 cards where you got 12V out of this connector.

It might be possible to run the mains connection to your spindle through this connector, but I wouldn't - tried this with a TA8435 card (based on a schematic from CNCZONE forum) and BANG! Lesson learnt. I already had an outlet set up with a 12V relay in it, so I simply ran 12V from my PSU into the MIN/GND(1) spindle connector terminals, and connected my 12V relay to MOU/GND(2). Works perfectly...

So in text format here is what I have:
    PSU +12V -> MIN
    PSU 0V -> GND(1)
    GND(2) -> Relay Coil -
    MOU -> Relay Coil +
    Relay NO contact -> mains plug (active)
    Relay COM contact -> mains socket (active)

The Relay contacts are connected to a 240V mains socket into which I plug the router/drill etc. The relay switches the active line of the mains wiring.

My card is a MegaSupply 4 axis one, but there seems to be various revisions of these chinese driver boards around, and certainly with the TA8435 boards the spindle relay was wired differently from one release to another. You need to be CAREFUL with this stuff if using a mains spindle - and I would never put the mains through the card - relays are cheap and easy... Test everything thoroughly before plugging in the mains.

Regards,

Robo.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default tb6560

I to bought the tb6560 on ebay. It is not shipped from the US as stated in the listing but came from China. I contacted the seller and he refuses to change his listing.

I ran the board at 36V, 3.0 amps and within 30 minutes the board exploded. About a 1/2 inch piece of one of the driver chips shot out of the board and over my right shoulder.

Ok... I'm human, I didn't listen to those wiser than I on this site, the next day I bought a Gecko. What an amazing driver. Don't waste your $$$ on this ebay Chinese garbage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bcourson View Post
    I ran the board at 36V, 3.0 amps and within 30 minutes the board exploded.
    Wow that was unlucky!! I don't think these boards go well over 24v, I think if I want to run some more voltage I might make a small Mosfet breakout board with a good heat sink. I have operated this board for over 20hrs without problems <yet> perhaps I got lucky.
    Also wondering what size motors you guys are running and is it the blue board? mine has genuine Toshiba TB6560's fitted.

cheers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast