I've seen on some threads, question if it's possible to connect l298 straight to parallel port, without using l297. I couldn't find an answer so I decided to check it out. Yes it's possible and pretty easy, as long as you can accept it being driven in phase, not step/dir.

Here are the connections. I tested this using the multiwatt 15 version, pin numbers are different on the powerso version.

Pin 1 -> Ground through resistor <1 ohm. Current limiting.
Pin 2 -> Winding 1a on bipolar stepper motor. Power output 1
Pin 3 -> Winding 1b on bipolar stepper motor. Power output 2
Pin 4 -> I had 24 volt stepper so I connected it to 24 volts. Supply voltage.
Pin 5 -> Parallel port (usually output pin 1, depends on axis and software). Input 1
Pin 6 -> 5 volts through switch. Enable A.
Pin 7 -> Parallel port (usually output pin 2, depends on axis and software). Input 2
Pin 8 -> Ground. Power, use thick wire.
Pin 9 -> 5 volts. Logic power.
Pin 10 -> Parallel port (usually output pin 3, depends on axis and software). Input 3
Pin 11 -> 5 volts through switch. Enable B
Pin 12 -> Parallel port (usually output pin 4, depends on axis and software). Input 4
Pin 13 -> Winding 2a on bipolar stepper motor. Power output 3
Pin 14 -> Winding 2b on bipolar stepper motor. Power output 4
Pin 15 -> Ground through resistor <1 ohm. Current limiting.

Optional but recommended. Connect (8) fast switching diodes from all outputs to pin 4 (cathode to power input) and from all outputs to ground (Anode to ground). Connect (2) 100uf capacitor from pin 9 and pin 4 (voltage inputs) to ground.

Now start the software, set it up for phase driving of steppers, choose the parallel port pins you connected the L298 to and start stepping.

If you wish to use unipolar stepper motor, instead of bipolar, you need to leave the center taps disconnected.

Hope someone finds this useful and I didn't do any typing errors . Vaya con dios.

Edit. It's always possible that connecting things to your parallel port will damage it. If you're not ready to take that risk, please do not attempt to follow these instructions.