3dprintforums logo

View Poll Results: Which brand 3 axis kit is the best allrounder - Protronix, Hobby CNC or Xylotex

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Protronix

18 47.37%
  • HobbyCNC

14 36.84%
  • Xylotex

6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Probotix or HobbyCNC or Xylotex kits ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am on my second CNC machine now, both home built. I went for HobbyCNC in the first instance based on price & "completeness" of the kit. With HobbyCNC you DO have to assemble it all yourself, but it was easy, in my opinion, and it just "worked". I am using 305 oz-in steppers, and have a 2kg (4pound-ish?) router to lift on the Z axis. I for one am happy with HobbyCNC boards. The Gecko oned do look nice, and are pre-built, so if electronic assembly is not your thing, go for them. However if you're handy with a soldering iron & want to save some dolleiros - go for the HobbyCNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my two cents for what its worth. My Sieg X2 conversion using the Xylotex complete system and the CNC fusion kit.

It worked for 3 plus years until I blew up the Xylotex board just a month ago. Then I found out the hard way I was stuck with a dead board and no way to get it fixed. The 90 day warranty should have been a clue as to after sale support they provide. The motors were OK and enough to do what I needed at the time. The inside of the the box was a mess as everything was glued down to the plastic. I had to drill holes in the box to remove the PS board cover just to check the fuse.

The Xylotex board is really way too expensive these days (at the time there was not much to choose from) as there are so many other choices these days.

I wound up going with a Gecko Board and complete Gecko Drive G540 system from Cantronics.com and Dan Mauch. I cheaped out on the plastic box and now regret it as it has no relays (flood coolant and spindle control) and is too Small to add any to the box. Plus a set of 385oz steppers. The G540 is great except for the connectors, wish it was a screw on and I didn't have to splice on 3 feet to get the DB9 out side of my flood coolant box (the reason I toasted the Xylotex).

First the difference in the performance compared to the Xylotex board and Z steppers was off the charts. Like a new machine and I was moving at almost twice the speed I was before without feeling I was pushing the machine too far past its limits. That is from 12ipm to 24ipm. A similar Z axis access acceleration. I was under the impression my X2 moor was the limiting factor, it was the driver board.

The bottom line for what you get with the G540, A warranty, Board repair (after the fact possibly), Blowup protection on the board for people like me and an isolated breakout board. It is really cheap. Plus 10 steps per rotation and you are putting out 48V to the motors and not 24V. Probably the biggest performance improvement. Again you can directly control a sieg X2 motor speed and a flood coolant with this board (which I have not done yet)

If I looked at the two complete systems I bought Xylotex Vs Cantronics it was only $100 more for the G540 system but you get so much more.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the well-spoken report Woodenspoke. Glad it all worked out for you.

I now recommend the Keling KL23H2100-35-4B381 motors as the current best match for G540 on all axes:

http://kelinginc.net/NEMA23Motor.html

For very large routers and heavy heads like X3 or G0704, I recommend the KL34H295-43-8B Keling N34 906s with G540:

http://kelinginc.net/NEMA34Motor.html

CR.

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probotix offers $200 for 3 axis kit. Best price out there. Just need to assemble it. Got it working with a Sherline 5000 bought on ebay. Excellent Customer service as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probotix gets my vote. I'm a newbe with stepper motors and drives. I had some questions and was walked through each process I had questions about. They were very polite and very willing to help. Great support and service.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by embguru View Post
    Probotix offers $200 for 3 axis kit. Best price out there. Just need to assemble it. Got it working with a Sherline 5000 bought on ebay. Excellent Customer service as well.
    I went with the same kit for my sherline 5410. There isn't much mention of Probotix on here aside from this thread. The unipolar drive seems well matched to the fine pitch leadscrews. Probotix quickly answered emails and their website is clean/modern while offering all the cables/buttons/plugs etc on their webstore. One stop shopping at its best.

A fellow hobbyist suggested i get whatever is affordable and start making chips. Spending big money on other equipment is only going to offer minimal gains.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi:

I would like to buy a 5 or 6 axil breakboard, but i dot know which are the better provider please can you give me your recomendation.

Thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by timcsc View Post
    Hi:

I would like to buy a 5 or 6 axil breakboard, but i dot know which are the better provider please can you give me your recomendation.

Thank you

There are many 6 axis board from automation Technology Inc

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

If you don't want to put out the money for a Geckodrive (and they ARE the best, by far) and you aren't scared of a soldering iron, check out our open source TB6064AH kit. It will get you most of the performace of a Geckdrive at about half the price.

James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234