Probotix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probotix

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Probotix

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the probotix systems.

I'm looking at getting there 4 axis kit to use with a Metal mill and use the 4th axis with a turn table.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I am looking at the same set up up for one of my students. Did you have at luck with the probotix steppers?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have just purchased a new Protobix system. I am very new to all this and honestly the people at Probotix have made it a lot easier for me to learn the programs and to understand the capabilities of their machines, motors, etc.

I would recommend them for sure. If anything, they are very helpful on the phone and very knowledgeable.

Hope that helps-MC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got the Fireball V90 from Probotix. This is all new to me, took about 2 hrs to assemble it and it looks great. Im going to hook up the computer and see if I can make things work. Meshcam was supposed to com with it, but I only got a EMC2 disk. WEIll see what happens here, soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I, too, have a V90 with the Probotix electronics and steppers. No complaints. I found their documentation clear and accurate, and their support was great when I had questions about how things worked.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    I, too, have a V90 with the Probotix electronics and steppers. No complaints. I found their documentation clear and accurate, and their support was great when I had questions about how things worked.
    ditto

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have it all put together, hooked up to computer. Only got the EMC2 disk, no meshcam bundle like was supposed to get. Its sitting and I have no I dea where to start to even try to see if it all is going to work. VERY frustrating. I got nothing in the form of documentation or assembly instructions, or help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not getting the software you ordered is a valid complaint, and I am sure a phone call will get that straightened out (it may come in a separate shipment?).

If you put the machine together, and don't know how to use it, that is not Probotix's fault. CNC is a complicated system of software and hardware, and is not a "turnkey" kind of project. YOU are going to have to fill in a lot of the missing pieces.

Have you gone to the DOCS section on the Fireball page? Have you gone to the EMC2 forum and read or asked questions on how to get started? Are you fully aware of MACH and how it compares to EMC2? I know that MACH comes with some sample GCode files to test things out and get started. I can't believe that EMC2 does not. FWIW, I have tried to run EMC2 3 times and never got it to work correctly, where MACH has worked on every system I have tried.

Anyway, you are at the start of a long journey. If you are really frustrated now, you need to take a step back and relax, 'cause you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Not getting the software you ordered is a valid complaint, and I am sure a phone call will get that straightened out (it may come in a separate shipment?).

If you put the machine together, and don't know how to use it, that is not Probotix's fault. CNC is a complicated system of software and hardware, and is not a "turnkey" kind of project. YOU are going to have to fill in a lot of the missing pieces.

Have you gone to the DOCS section on the Fireball page? Have you gone to the EMC2 forum and read or asked questions on how to get started? Are you fully aware of MACH and how it compares to EMC2? I know that MACH comes with some sample GCode files to test things out and get started. I can't believe that EMC2 does not. FWIW, I have tried to run EMC2 3 times and never got it to work correctly, where MACH has worked on every system I have tried.

Anyway, you are at the start of a long journey. If you are really frustrated now, you need to take a step back and relax, 'cause you ain't seen nuthin' yet!
    TY,mcphill, I sent an e-mail about the other software, and will call tomorrow. Len, who e-mailed me answers to questions I had recommended what I got. I understand this is just the start, and not as frustrated as I sounded. And to answer your questions, I read the docs section and went to EMC2 forum for help. It will all come together, Im sure. Yes, I know the journey, did this at work when we got a Biesse Rover CNC , took awile to get all settled there too. Thanks again

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by woody53 View Post
    TY,mcphill, I sent an e-mail about the other software, and will call tomorrow. Len, who e-mailed me answers to questions I had recommended what I got. I understand this is just the start, and not as frustrated as I sounded. And to answer your questions, I read the docs section and went to EMC2 forum for help. It will all come together, Im sure. Yes, I know the journey, did this at work when we got a Biesse Rover CNC , took awile to get all settled there too. Thanks again
    I downloaded the Meshcam software from their site. There is a link on the probotix site. I got the license code via email.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NWW View Post
    I downloaded the Meshcam software from their site. There is a link on the probotix site. I got the license code via email.
    Ty, yes I downloaded the meshcam software, and Len sent me an e-mail with the license, so that was taken care of very easily. Also turns out I didnt need the EMC2 , because I got the PBX-USB controller. Is there anyone using the USB controller to run a V90 ? Seems to be a few fixes there I need to do also. I did let it run a file from the USB files, and it run like a champ, so I am moving along slowly but surely.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's good to hear, Woody

They didn't have the USB interface at the time I bought my machine and I haven't seen much comment about it ... what do you think? Good value?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's good to hear, Woody

They didn't have the USB interface at the time I bought my machine and I haven't seen much comment about it ... what do you think? Good value?
    Well, Ron, this is all new to me like I said before, but it seems like it will work fine. I talked to support at Probotix this afternoon, and they are great. I couldnt see how to set the depth of cut on a line of text I imported, and got the answer in a minute. Len had told me earlier to set the tool on the work piece where I wanted to start, and set all the axes to zero, and go from there. First time I tried it it just touched the piece. The support guy ( didnt really catch his name), showed me how to edit the G code. I set the new G code to -0.1000 on the Z axes, selected all of those codes, and it cut exactly .100 deep. So, Im happy to say TY Probotix.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of spindle you using, Ron ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woody, I bought a Dremel 300 to use with the V90, but after burning through two of them in a short space of time I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

I've now bought a Proxxon LB/E ... VERY low runout and much quieter than the Dremel.

There were no commercial mounts for the Proxxon LB/E, so I made my own. If you decide to go down the same path and have VCarve Pro I'll gladly send you the files.

I've only been using the Proxxon for a couple of days, so I have nothing to say about its reliability at this stage. Keeping my fingers crossed

Ron.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woody, I bought a Dremel 300 to use with the V90, but after burning through two of them in a short space of time I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

I've now bought a Proxxon LB/E ... VERY low runout and much quieter than the Dremel.

There were no commercial mounts for the Proxxon LB/E, so I made my own. If you decide to go down the same path and have VCarve Pro I'll gladly send you the files.

I've only been using the Proxxon for a couple of days, so I have nothing to say about its reliability at this stage. Keeping my fingers crossed

Ron.
    Im on my second Dewalt trim router is why I asked the question, Ron. I will look at the Proxxon LB/E and see what I can find. Yes I have Vcarve Pro too. Appreciate your input.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woody, one thing to beware is that the Proxxon is a LIGHT tool, and I doubt it will cut as fast or deep as the Dewalt. I have no experience of them, but if you want a trim router it seems that most guys in the V90 forum use a Bosch Colt.

As an example of "light", the Proxxon only takes 1/8" bits. I get good cutting performance with four flute bits in MDF and two flute in wood. I typically use 1mm DOC and 600-700mm/min feed rate.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woody, one thing to beware is that the Proxxon is a LIGHT tool, and I doubt it will cut as fast or deep as the Dewalt. I have no experience of them, but if you want a trim router it seems that most guys in the V90 forum use a Bosch Colt.

As an example of "light", the Proxxon only takes 1/8" bits. I get good cutting performance with four flute bits in MDF and two flute in wood. I typically use 1mm DOC and 600-700mm/min feed rate.
    Yes, I looked up the Proxxon and it seemed light to me. Like I said I have a Dewalt and it worked great till the bearing locked up. So, I got another one, already have the holder, so, as money isnt that plentiful, I have what I have. [I] saw a real nice spindle online, but 1200 bucks was almost as much as my V90, so I'll pass on that. Im going to try a speed controller on the new Dewalt and see if a slower speed will extend its life. Time will tell. Have a good rest of the weekend , Ron.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by woody53 View Post
    Im on my second Dewalt trim router is why I asked the question, Ron. I will look at the Proxxon LB/E and see what I can find. Yes I have Vcarve Pro too. Appreciate your input.
    Dave
    Ron, Well I had another Dewalt burn up, and I dont overload it at all. I replaced it with the Bosch Colt VS. I also got some ER collets from Precisebits.com, because they are supposed to be very reliable, with little runout. I checked both the 1/8 and 1/4 inch collets and found they both to have less than .0006. Close enough for what I do. Now I can use both 1/8 and 1/4 shank bits, seemed logical to get both.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Woody, do you find any trouble with your gantry sagging forward when you add a trim router instead of a Dremel? My gantry is really easy to move - just placing your hand on it makes it move visibly - so I've avoided heavier cutting machines until now.

Interested in your experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast