TB6560 shorting out.

Thread: TB6560 shorting out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default TB6560 shorting out.

Just hooked up everything and as soon as I turn power on to board it blows fuse.. New PS putting out 24.1`volt...TB6560 board 5 axis. With NOTHING pluged in to board.. soon as i Apply power it shorts out. Anyone know where i should look first ?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The middle chip that has the heat sink on.. there are 5 .. middle one gets hot as soon as i plug in power.. bad chip ? something shorted out going to this chip or from this chip ?
    The row of Diodes. counting from right to left starting from the end of board PS plugs in. 1 - 26 diodes.. # 12-13-15 don't read the same readings as all the rest on multimeter diode test mode. they read like 588 or so.. those 3 read 001 or so.. Yank them and plug in PS see if it stays on. ? if so replace diodes and pray the middle chip did not fry ? If it did.. anyone know how much they are and if mouser carrys them ? i dont see shiping this back to china and waiting ..we are talking 4 weeks.. i want this thing working now.. I read bad things about these.. but damn this sucks..

Last edited by Hommersimpson; 05-24-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well this board is toast...doubt they will even take back now after took out two of the TB6560 chips that smoked up.. So anyone know what causes this on these boards? I have looked around and found this is not uncommon to have the chips just go up in smoke..

Downloads
    Uploads

Mouser does sell TB6560 chips for about $4.00 each (less if you buy 10 or more):

TB6560AHQ(O) Toshiba Motor / Motion / Ignition Controllers & Drivers

While I can not verify it from direct experience, some people have reported burning out their TB6560s by applying power to the board without having motors connected.

Do you have some motors available? Since you have clipped the leads of the smoked TB6560s to get them off of the board, you might try hooking up your motors to the remaining TB6560 axes and giving it another shot. Make sure that you do not connect or disconnect the motors while the power is applied to the board (because that can cause the TB6560s to burn up too).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks... Yea its toast... another chip went up so thats 2 or 3 chips burnt up.. I contacted vender on ebay...took 2 weeks to get it here.. i dont have a month to wait..Scared to buy another one.. but they are the cheapest way out .. any sugestions on 5 axis controller & driver besides 6560 ?

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a problem with the all-in-one approach - if one axis goes belly up, the whole board may be toast.

The gecko g540 is attractive, but it's a lot more expensive and it only handles 4 axes, but you can get an additional single axis driver from gecko to bring it up to 5 albeit not in the same case (I forget the model number, maybe it is g250).

There may be other vendors who have "motherboards" that mount multiple single axis gecko drivers, but again that's not going to be inexpensive.

There are some relatively inexpensive individual axis drivers from China (via eBay or Keling) that may not be as prone to smoke as the TB6560.

But I don't know of another 5-axis one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.. Yea thats the issue.. Money. lol hard to try to get things done RIGHT when you are poor. I kinda thought the all in one would not be as robust as single drivers for every motor.. Do you know of any Kits ? that come with all the parts and printed circuit boards you build yourself ?

Downloads
    Uploads

There is the hobbycnc 3-axis driver which comes as a kit.

It's relatively inexpensive at $67 plus shipping, but since it is set up for unipolar drive you need to use it with 5, 6, or 8-wire motors, but not 4-wire motors (not sure what you have for motors).

HobbyCNC | CNC for the desktop machinist and hobbyist.

HobbyCNC EZ Driver Board Kit | HobbyCNC

If you wanted to use two of those kits to get your 5 axis support, you would have to either patch together the DB-25 wiring from one board to another, or else add another PCI printer port card to your PC to drive the other board.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have 6 stp58D 4 wire motors.. I have some 6 wire motors too. smaller nema 17 size.. Thanks. I might have to go that rout.. I will look into it. I am trying to build 2 machines. I want to build a 5 axis CNC mill to do light alloys and wood. And then I want to build a 3d printer.. but have not researched much on what i Need for the 3d Printer.. just gathering parts for it for now. Thanks again doorknob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Those boards are also junk. I bought their 5 axis off of Ebay. First one went up in smoke (one of the legs burnt up). 2nd board was DOA (sent them the board and they never sent me the replacement). The other three boards rotated motors but hissed like hell. You can buy bipolar drivers from Keling for around $40/each.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

is there a decent diy board that i can strip a lot of parts off this TB6560 and use and just get better chips or something ? I would not mind making my own..and maybe just buy a controller ? or even make that maybe.. got most of the parts just dont know of a decent DIY schematic to start from.. Any idea on that ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down TB6560-v2

Hi we got a TB6560-v2 driver board off eBay it was £17.69 i have tried to get some info of the seller for dip switch setting but he is not responding, All the motors work but on some settings the motors whistle and it doesn't mater what settings i use the motors get so hot it starts to melt the solder on the motor connections. From what i have seen they are junk, you get what you pay for. Lessen Learnt. Now to save up for a quality driver board.The other option is to put a shunt resistor on the motors to reduce the current on the motors.some times when you go for a cheaper option it can cost you more.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TB6560 shorting out.-tb6560-3-axis-pcb-red-jpg  
    We don't have problems, We only have challenges.
    [URL="http://youtu.be/gvSVGFYmJHY"]CNC Milling Machine Build ( time-laps)[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Got Another board in mail today

Ok so no Idea why.. but the vender on Ebay.. I had talked to him in email and told him I would eat half the cost if he would and refund me 31 bucks.. well anyway today he emailed me said he refunded me 30 bucks. Ok good enough.. Live and learn.. So i go to store. get back home and there is another board in mail from him. ? LOL no idea why he refunded me 30 bucks AND sent me another board. But i have it and would like to Use it if at all possible. OR I have been practicing making my own PCB's and im getting close to getting it down. Would i be better off striping the new TB6560 and make 6 sep boards ? 5 drivers and 1 controller ? Anyone live near New Smyran Beach FL i can bring board to and pay to look at ? I dont want to fry another one..

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hommersimpson View Post
    Ok so no Idea why.. but the vender on Ebay.. I had talked to him in email and told him I would eat half the cost if he would and refund me 31 bucks.. well anyway today he emailed me said he refunded me 30 bucks. Ok good enough.. Live and learn.. So i go to store. get back home and there is another board in mail from him. ? LOL no idea why he refunded me 30 bucks AND sent me another board. But i have it and would like to Use it if at all possible. OR I have been practicing making my own PCB's and im getting close to getting it down. Would i be better off striping the new TB6560 and make 6 sep boards ? 5 drivers and 1 controller ? Anyone live near New Smyran Beach FL i can bring board to and pay to look at ? I dont want to fry another one..
    Consider this the cost of your induction into into the TB6560 drama. Save your money and buy Geckos or Keling. Thanks. Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hommersimpson View Post
    You might want to compare notes with user mmcp42 - he designed a single-axis TB6560 board last year - here is one of his posts, but he might have a more up-to-date version of the circuit and board design by now:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/922358-post60.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you.. that's exactly what i was looking for.. Neat.. thanks..