Using the A4988 stepper drivers

Thread: Using the A4988 stepper drivers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Using the A4988 stepper drivers

Does any one Use the Alegro A4988 stepper drivers,and are there any problems. I have a small cnc that uses a dremal tool for the spindle,and uses the nema 17 stepper motors.The current is at about 1.5 amps. right now I have them on gecko drivers and a breakout board. I want to use the gecko drivers on another larger machine because the current capacity of these geckos will handle about 6 amps or more.I dont need that much power for these small of steppers,(have them throttled back to about 1 amp).can order 5 each from china at about 6.00 free shipping.Again Has any one used these and have you had any problems.Or what other low cost drivers would you use with better results...THanks very much...............

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using the A4988 stepper drivers

Many many 3D printers use the a4988 to drive small nema17 stepper motors. You just have to keep them running cool with a small heat sink/fan and they will run just fine.

My laser cutter uses a4988 set at about 1amp, no issues at all. They are inexpensive and keep several as spares. Although I haven’t had to replace one yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply.Just got 5 each from e-bay for about 5.00 dollars.They have an 8 pin header soldered on each side,now im trying to mount 3-each onto a single board,but havent quite got that figgered out yet. Most likely will hard wire each one for step and direction from breakout board and too the motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeout View Post
    Thank you for your reply.Just got 5 each from e-bay for about 5.00 dollars.They have an 8 pin header soldered on each side,now im trying to mount 3-each onto a single board,but havent quite got that figgered out yet. Most likely will hard wire each one for step and direction from breakout board and too the motors.
    I use these cheap $2 Arduino stepper shields and wire them up to custom boards. Makes it just a bit easier to interface.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222768933944

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Im going to order 3 of them in the morning,thanks for the heads up,then i can just plug each 4988 carrier board into it.

Downloads
    Uploads

These small and cheap drivers are very nice in my opinion. I use them in 3D printers but if your CNC does not need more current than these can handle then it is just fine. Be aware that they can get very hot, if you drive them with more than 1A use a fan as well to cool them because the tiny heat sink is just a joke. Current limiting adjustment is necessary, using the small pot and a multi meter. Micro stepping should not be set to more than 1/8 otherwise you'll get no torque. It is also important to use a PSU with as high voltage as possible, but not less than 24V, otherwise you'll get no speed. Also be aware that these drivers are easily blown. Do NOT connect/disconnect the steppers when the power is on because that will surely fry them. Then again, they are so cheap so you can (should) have some spares at hand, just in case...

...on the other hand, a DQ542MA is really not that expensive and it beats these tiny A4988 drivers hands down with a horse length...

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Im going to order 3 of them in the morning,thanks for the heads up,then i can just plug each 4988 carrier board into it.
    Don't order 3, order at least five so you can have some spare.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would give another vote for 542A driver, Particularly from Longs Motor off eBay. I have played with the 4988's and the Geckos and this is the driver that I have found gives the best bang for buck. But they are pretty big against the others. I'm running them with NEMA 23's and can drive them at about 90,000 pulses per minute with 20x microstepping, at up to 21 metres per minute.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Recieved the A4988s in the mail,and now soldering them on a small breadboard I got from Radio shack before they went under.Going to submurge that board in veg,oil to dispinsate the heat,Im thinking that will work great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Going to submurge that board in veg,oil to dispinsate the heat,Im thinking that will work great.
    Don't do it! You will regret that if you do. Add a tiny 12V fan and that's enough. Simple, cheap and works. Submerging electronics in oil is not a good solution to solve heat issue. Never heard about anyone doing it that way. It sounds extremely over-engineered and pretty pointless because it is a complicated solution to a simple problem which is really a non-issue and is very easily handled.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

oil is does not conduct electricity,they use it all the time in for cooling of bearings in pump motors,ect,gamers that has overclocked there computers do it so im going to give it a whirl.The A4988 are small enough that will fit in a plastic container and I have cooking oil that i can use. Where I got the idea at was I had a pump motor had a float switch on it that you drop in a water tank.It would come on when low on water and turn off when full. It had blown the starting cap. and that cap was setting in oil under the top cap.when not knowing there was oil under there I lost that oil.trying to find a small amount was going to cost me over 75.00.way to much for about 4oz. so I used cooking oil and its been running for months with out any problems..Sees that An A4988 board only costs about 4.00 dollars,if I happen to fry one Ill try something else,that way I can say well that dont work.wish me luck Got the A4988s mounted on a small board,about ready too solder the wires that goes to the steppers,and break out board,and power...

Downloads
    Uploads

I know oil is not conductive, that's not what I meant when I said you'll regret it.

Anyway, if I opted for oil I'd not use cooking oil since it does not contain any preservatives and when it gets contaminated (and it will) it will also probably start to become conductive. Also, it won't prevent you from frying the drivers and once you drenched it in oil you'll never be able to clean it off before you'll be able to pop in a new driver.

...as I said, it is over-engineered and far too complicated for such a simple task as cooling a stepper driver. No benefits at all, compared to traditional methods.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The reason Im doing this is that these drivers will more than likely need to run at the max amp ratings,because they will be pulling some weight around on the nema 17 motors, this is a small cnc,and I would think it would need to run a little more current than a 3-D printer. I guess I should have thought of that before I ordered the A4988s.If these dont work out will have to go with a little greater current handling drivers.But we will see......Might have to try the THB6064AH drivers.....