Need Help! Steppers Underpowered by Galil controller?

Thread: Steppers Underpowered by Galil controller?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Steppers Underpowered by Galil controller?

I have tried a selection of motors in a project, all with the same result: not enough torque at the speed it needs to move. Because this is a typical problem I thought it was just a matter of getting the best motor I could and living with results.
    HT23-597 HT23-599 HT23-601
    After talking to an electronics engineer and trying out his motor that is "strong enough to break your arm" it's clear that the motors are not operating at full power.
    I'm using a Galil DMC4183 controller with their SDM-44040 driver and it's been working for the 6 other steppers that are being run at much lower speeds. Although, I'm now wondering if solving the problem with the 7th motor will improve the performance of the others.
    The Galil is connected to a variable power supply set to 30V, and I've seen the total current up around 5A when 6 motors are running. The seventh motor alone never draws more than 0.85A (from the supply), whether I'm using a 2.8A or a 4.2A or 5A motor.
    The Galil manual and codebook have a lot of information pertaining to servo motors and driver models I don't have. Does anyone know if there is a current limitation hiding in the background or if I'm a fool for thinking 30V 0.8A input should result in 30V 0.8A output? Are my motor choices just too ambitious for the driver?
    I just can't express how limp these motors have seemed.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steppers Underpowered by Galil controller?

The 30V may be the issue. If you want more speed, increase the voltage.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You might check the Amplifier Gain (AG command) It might be set low for that motor.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The driver is for 1.4 A, so I expect you put the coils in series.Then the motor has 10,.8 mH your powersupply is 30 Volts
    These figures give about 300Rpm max. If you want faster you need higher voltage or lower mH
    If you have a driver that can handle 2.8A, you could put the coils in parallel resulting in 2.7mH that would about double the RPM at 30 Volts to 600Rpm
    If you go above these calculated Rpm figures, the power will drop fast

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your help everyone, I wasn't present when the original system was designed and purchased and I've been tearing my hair out trying to integrate this new addition without fully understanding any of it.
    It makes more sense now, I need to stick within the available current and use your advice to make the most of it unless and until it becomes practical to upgrade the drivers themselves to the ones that can handle 60V input.