Need Help! More torque needed for motors, but how?! Any ideas to solve this?

Thread: More torque needed for motors, but how?! Any ideas to solve this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More torque needed for motors, but how?! Any ideas to solve this?

We have a real problem with loss of torque on each stepper motors.
    We cannot get enough "power" out from those motors. They starts to skip steps while driving...specially Y-axle.
    The size of the motors should be big enough and there should be plenty of torque in those, but we just cannot get them work.

On X- and Z-axle there is MAE HY200-3424-0310-AL04 motors and Y-axle is driven with Sanyo Denki 103-815-7.
    Stepper controller is TB6560 with Mach3 and 24V power supply.

We have tried tons of different setting on Mach3 motor tuning without result.
    We also tried 36V power supply but no suggess.

Starts to be helpless situation to get the machine running perfect, but can anyone give any advice to check or tweak to make those steppers work?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: More torque needed for motors, but how?! Any ideas to solve this?

Those motors need about 4.5amp? And your driver is 3.5amp maximum? Most likely it's limited in some way, so as not to blow up though. So maybe you need new drivers. Never a good idea to run things maxed out either. I read somewhere that a good rule is to have 2.5x the power that you actually need to drive the most powerful motor. Don't know if this is true or not though.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEnSea View Post
    Those motors need about 4.5amp? And your driver is 3.5amp maximum? Most likely it's limited in some way, so as not to blow up though. So maybe you need new drivers. Never a good idea to run things maxed out either. I read somewhere that a good rule is to have 2.5x the power that you actually need to drive the most powerful motor. Don't know if this is true or not though.
    Thanks for reply. This might be the case. We need to try another driver to get more amps.

Downloads
    Uploads

You haven't provided enough information. I hate having to try to look up the info for people. You look it up and provide it please.

Torque vs speed graph for the steppers using that voltage of power supply? 24V is really low voltage, this will effect the torque at speed alot.

If you can't find a torque vs speed graph, then at least what is the holding torque and inductance of the stepper motors? Will be in mH.

What kind of machine, Rack and pinion (if so, what gear reduction and pinion size), ballscrew (if so, what lead, diameter, and lengths)?

The approximate weight of your different axis (this includes everything that the motors move)?

What are your top speed and acceleration settings in Mach 3?

General advice would be to use a higher voltage power supply, and to reduce the speed and acceleration settings in Mach 3 until you are no longer missing steps.

Higher amp draw occurs at lower speeds, more voltage to get better performance at higher speeds. Where torque is lower at higher speeds, this is likely where you are loosing steps and the amp limit probably isn't the issue.

Not trying to be rude, but usually when someone asks a question like this, they have done something silly like direct driving a pinion with the stepper and no gear reduction, high inductance motors geared for high speed operation, using a small lead ballscrew that is long in length or with high inductance motors and having unrealistic expectations, or using a power supply with way too low of a voltage, or a combination of all of those things.

In this case however, a quick internet search leads me to believe part (or all) of the problem may be with your TB6560. Just google "TB6560 Fix" and you will see what I mean. They are apparently notorious for missing steps, but some people have modified them to work. Gecko or Leadshine products are where it's at. I'd avoid the cheaper Chinese electrical components.

Downloads
    Uploads

Get some new motors. Am I correct that those are Nema 34's with only 250 oz-in of torque?

Also get some better drives, and up the voltage to 48V-60V.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a thread for you to read, Dalton,

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ftware-74.html

Looks like those drivers are limited to 36V max.