Need Help! power supply

Thread: power supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default power supply

hello,
    I need some advise and help, I purchased lamtechnologies products:
    4x DS1076 Stepper Motor Driver 90Vdc 6Arms (8.5Apk).
    4x M1233071 NEMA23 Stepper Motor 3Nm (425oz-in) 6Arms.
    1x DP1742 Unregulated Power Supply with braking resistor control (rectifier bridges and filter capacitors, electronic circuit for the capacitors discharge).
    1x ANTEK single phase Toroidal transformers 600VA 2x outputs 54V 5.6A
    I attached all the files,
    I have a few questions and I hope you can answer me
    What I need to know is:
    - Does one Toroidal transformers 600VA and the DP1742 are enough to supply the correct power for my 4 steppers and drivers ?
    - What is the maximum current value I can select in DS1076 ? can I set the current to 6Arms in the 4 drivers without problems?
    - What Braking resistor value I should use with DP1742
    - What is the suitable rating of AC MCB or fuse to use before the power supply (toroidal transformers) how many amperes? or should i use a fuse between the transformer and the DP1742 ?
    - Is it necessary to add DC fuse or DC MCB between DP1742 and each DS1076? If yes, what current value you recommend me to use ?
    appreciate if you can help me

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power supply-dp1742-pdf   power supply-ds1076-pdf   power supply-m1233071-pdf   power supply-6454-pdf  

Last edited by assadi; 11-30-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: power supply

Here is my opinion about this set
    I expect that the transformer will do the job.
    Your DP1742 is 8A max for single phase, while the transformer can deliver over 12 A I would max connect two of your drivers to this unregulated power supply.
    You could connect two DP1742 to the transformer each to one of the secondary coils and have each connect to two drivers
    Your drivers and motors can handle the 6A. If you want / need max power this setting should be fine. If you don't need the full power, you can decrease it. this will lower the motor temp as well
    For the fuses I can't help you as I'm not familiar with local rules. Here in the Netherlands I would only put fuses in the primary side of the transformer

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    Here is my opinion about this set
    I expect that the transformer will do the job.
    Your DP1742 is 8A max for single phase, while the transformer can deliver over 12 A I would max connect two of your drivers to this unregulated power supply.
    You could connect two DP1742 to the transformer each to one of the secondary coils and have each connect to two drivers
    Your drivers and motors can handle the 6A. If you want / need max power this setting should be fine. If you don't need the full power, you can decrease it. this will lower the motor temp as well
    For the fuses I can't help you as I'm not familiar with local rules. Here in the Netherlands I would only put fuses in the primary side of the transformer
    Thank you for answering, I'm a little bit confused now... To buy extra DP1742 Or to buy a new complete Antek power supply 1000w 80vdc 12.5a ?! The cost will be similar !! I have no experience with DP1742 (it need Braking Resistor Connection)... !! And every question to LamTechnologies they refer me to the distributor !!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

So you suggest me to do option #2 ?! What wrong with option #1 ?! Attached 2 files

Tapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File option%201.pdfTapatalk Cloud - Downlaoad File option%202.pdfhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f3028e5007.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1825b89b6c.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power supply-option-2-pdf   power supply-option-1-pdf  
    Last edited by assadi; 12-11-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Buying one larger supply for all the motors will work fine.

Ben

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

In option #1 you will overload ( to much Amps ) the DP1742 and it might fail.
    The complete Antek will do the job and be easy to connect

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you.
    It's always the hardest part for me to size the power supply needed for the stepper motor !!! Also I use stepper driver & motor rated in Arms and not Amps !!!! I even don't know what is the difference ...
    The driver/motor manufacturer told me "Our products have high efficiency and it draws about* 1/4 of the rated motor current when it is in stand still with 50% current reduction, and about 1/2 of the rated motor current when the motor is running. The correct way is always to start from the mechanical power and then apply 0.7 efficiency factor to the result"
    So for my system I need
    6Arms x 4 = 24Arms
    1/2 = 12Arms when the 4 motor running !??!! So a power supply rated 12.5amps should be enough !!
    How to calculate!

Downloads
    Uploads

Those figures are normal for good ( modern ) drivers. They reduce the current when the motor is stopped for some time ( half a second or so )
    Arms = Ampere Root Mean Square ( the effective current )