Need Help! TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics

Hi Graphicman

you have done well to have the 4 axis TB6560 board to work for 3.5 years with a 36V power supply

TB6560 PDF data
    TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics-tb6560ahq-datasheet-pdf

part of page 6
    TB6560 - operating range of motor supply voltage 4.5V to 34V DC

TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics-part-tb6560-data-page-6-jpg

the TB6560 boards design errors don't help
    this thread goes into great detail :-

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    These diodes ( 5 for each axis ) should prevent the voltage from going negative. 4 are for the wires to the motor, the 5th is on the power input for the driver chip. the 21ths diode is to protect the transistor that switches the relay
    If only 4 are working, that means the others are "open" and won't do anything at all. Bad protection on the board.
    I expect that the first problem did some more damage to the board ( parts on it ) which resulted in the fast subsequent dead of other driver chips.
    As you can see in many articles on this forum, the TB6560 doesn't have a good reputation. It;s famous for problems. The chip itself isn't to bad, but it's sensitive to all around.
    The higher current for the Y driver is hardly a reason for a higher failure chance. Most electronic parts die because of a ( very short ) over voltage or reverse voltage. They Flash through and it's finished.
    The main chip will only draw a tiny bit of power when configured, but no motor connected. It will try to deliver the power until output voltage is at max, Nothing bad should happen as long as you don't connect anything when power is on.
    If you can afford, have a look at separate drivers and a breakout board this will have much less chance that one failure will affect the other drivers.
    The picture is the inside of my box, I use a CNC-USB MK2 card and 4 DQ542MA drivers running from a 36 Volt 9 A power supply stable for about 4 years This is connected to an old small PC not connected to the internet.
    I take the files from my PC on a USB stick to this set.
    Attachment 378646
    I totally agree with you
    I have got the board again and tested the diodes myself
    it seems that the guy tested it did not check it at all, I found all the diodes working, except the blown one ofcourse (I get a reading on only one way)
    although there is no any visible damaged to the main chip, but more than one told me it could have failed internally
    I have already ordered a new control, bob + 5pcs tb6600 single axis (extra driver just in case)

The tb6560ahq has more than one generation, I disagree about the bad reputation it has from the very beginning then referring to that famous thread
    simply because that the version/generation that that thread was discussing is pretty old and the board keep updating and changing for SURE, yes there might still be problems in it
    mine is an example, however mine is not new, it is also an older version at least 4 years old but not obsolete, and it survived quite a good time
    I believe the main reason of the bad reputation was because of the poor poor manuals with different missleading information on top of that no writing on the board itself that even tell which is + or - for the main voltage input!
    as a result of the above, people swap the polarity and the board is blown straight away

I dont know why my board died that way, and it seems it is had to know, however I wanted to ask if an axis is fully configured in mach3 and enabled but disconnnected physically
    would it have the same lifetime as the one that is connected and functional? I asked someone and he said yes, if that is true then no wonder why the barley used A axis failed

also I am planing to use the tb6600 with 36v + 25%Amps, let me know if that should be safe enough

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Hi Graphicman

you have done well to have the 4 axis TB6560 board to work for 3.5 years with a 36V power supply

TB6560 PDF data
    TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics-tb6560ahq-datasheet-pdf

part of page 6
    TB6560 - operating range of motor supply voltage 4.5V to 34V DC

TB6560 4 Axis smoked after power on (3.5+ years old) + pics-part-tb6560-data-page-6-jpg

the TB6560 boards design errors don't help
    this thread goes into great detail :-

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-software.html

John
    I guess so John
    just wanted to know if the issue was from something else other than its lifetime!
    thanks for your input

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Graphicman

to add to the possible damage by using a power supply over 34V

any returned energy when stopping or decelerating a rapidly moving axis will increase the supply voltage

when its rotor is mechanically rotated , a stepper motor acts a generator

the AC generated current will be rectified by the TB6560's protection diodes and added to the power supplies output voltage

possibly taking the supply voltage above the TB6560's Absolute Maximum supply voltage of 40V
    which is only 6 V above the Operating Range or just 4V above your 36V power supply !

or the back EMF generated when the connection to a motors coils is either made or broken when the power is on
    this could be due to a broken wire or faulty connector
    (or you connection or dis-connecting the A axis with the power on for instance)

John

Downloads
    Uploads

as a normal user the boards says clearly up to 36v
    yes not a very good idea to get too close to its limits

one more thing here
    lets assume pressing the reset button on mach3 take 1 sec

how many seconds were used for pressing the reset button on mach3 compared to the amount of time the machine was actually up and moving in 3.5 years?

not to mention the amount of higher load and stress on the board when it is driving the motors

the board never did a single mistake while running for over 3.5 years and failed 2 times only while I pressed the reset button in only 2 days
    that what I dont understand
    there MUST be a load/mistake in the board that is big enough to blow the board in such a fraction of a time compared to its working condition!!
    think about it, which state should have a way higher chance for the board to fail?

I still need to know if I should disable an unused axis from mach3 if I am not using it or it is enough to d/c it physically only

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12