Need Help! Choosing the stepper motor torque...

Thread: Choosing the stepper motor torque...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Choosing the stepper motor torque...

Good Evening,

I am totaly a newbie to CNC world.

I bought a CNC without its electronics. It is 5' x 3' (150cm x 100cm) and has steel gantry of 60lbs (27 kilo) which moves on ball bearings.

The size has to be Nema 23.

I was wondering if 439 oz-in.(3.1nm) will be enough or should I go for 566 oz-in.(4.0nm) versions?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Choosing the stepper motor torque...

You're focusing on the wrong numbers. Those figures are about holding torque - how hard the motor holds still. This is not as important as how well it moves. That's determined by other things, like inductance (lower inductance means higher speeds without faulting) and voltage (more voltage makes a motor go faster, up to a certain point). The formula is: square root of the inductance times 32 equals optimum voltage to be supplied. So if you want the motor to go fast, you need to use a driver that will handle enough voltage, and give it an appropriate power supply. In practice, the sweet spot is around 50 volts for most NEMA 23 steppers, which works out to about 2.3 milliHenries of inductance. The running torque of a stepper depends on how much current it can handle. In a 23-frame motor, that will vary between about 2.5 to 4 amps per phase. But the inductance goes up along with amperage, so you have to balance all these factors. Look at the torque curves that should be listed with the motors to find one that maintains good torque at the speed you think you'll be running them, since torque falls off with speed, sometimes drastically.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You're focusing on the wrong numbers. Those figures are about holding torque - how hard the motor holds still. This is not as important as how well it moves. That's determined by other things, like inductance (lower inductance means higher speeds without faulting) and voltage (more voltage makes a motor go faster, up to a certain point). The formula is: square root of the inductance times 32 equals optimum voltage to be supplied. So if you want the motor to go fast, you need to use a driver that will handle enough voltage, and give it an appropriate power supply. In practice, the sweet spot is around 50 volts for most NEMA 23 steppers, which works out to about 2.3 milliHenries of inductance. The running torque of a stepper depends on how much current it can handle. In a 23-frame motor, that will vary between about 2.5 to 4 amps per phase. But the inductance goes up along with amperage, so you have to balance all these factors. Look at the torque curves that should be listed with the motors to find one that maintains good torque at the speed you think you'll be running them, since torque falls off with speed, sometimes drastically.
    Thanks a lot for the reply.
    I was just wondering what inductance means as I was reading the threads...

I have no idea in reality about what speed that I need, but as I was going through some sites etc. lets say, it could be around average of 16 inches/min as suggested on one of the sites. Or should I be looking something with more speed?
    I will be working mostly on wood and perhaps some aluminium.

The kits that I found are 4.2 ampers for motor with either CW5045/DM542
    or
    tb6560 for 3.0A motor with 3.5A drivers and 36V power supplies.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson11 View Post

I was just wondering what inductance means as I was reading the threads...

I have no idea in reality about what speed that I need, but as I was going through some sites etc. lets say, it could be around average of 16 inches/min as suggested on one of the sites. Or should I be looking something with more speed?
    I will be working mostly on wood and perhaps some aluminium.

The kits that I found are 4.2 ampers for motor with either CW5045/DM542
    or
    tb6560 for 3.0A motor with 3.5A drivers and 36V power supplies.
    The DM542's are a great driver and pretty bullet proof, I would suggest don't even bother wasting your time on anything TB6560 based, you'll be bitterly disappointed and after spending weeks of time trying to turn that pigs ear into a silk purse, will go and buy better drivers.

A 48VDC PSU would be much better than a 36VDC PSU in this case.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea in reality about what speed that I need, but as I was going through some sites etc. lets say, it could be around average of 16 inches/min as suggested on one of the sites.
    You want at least 200-300ipm, if possible.

How is the machine driven? Screws, or rack and pinion? What are the specs of the drive components?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    The DM542's are a great driver and pretty bullet proof, I would suggest don't even bother wasting your time on anything TB6560 based, you'll be bitterly disappointed and after spending weeks of time trying to turn that pigs ear into a silk purse, will go and buy better drivers.

A 48VDC PSU would be much better than a 36VDC PSU in this case.

cheers, Ian

Here are more likely options that I have:

(they have single shaft version for the same price)
    IT FREE,3 AXIS Nema 23 Stepper motor 4.2A 425oz-in 8mmshaft 4-Lead 115MM CNC HOT | eBay

or

Nema23 Stepper Motor Kit 4Nm x 3 Axis + Mounts CNC Parts Mill Router DIY Hobby | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You want at least 200-300ipm, if possible.

How is the machine driven? Screws, or rack and pinion? What are the specs of the drive components?
    Thank you for the reply.
    Leadscrew of 25mm diameter / 3mm.
    Don't know what other specs you need?

The leg of the gantry slides on 2 triangular profiles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Choosing the stepper motor torque...-img_20170926_005104-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here are more likely options that I have:

(they have single shaft version for the same price)
    IT FREE,3 AXIS Nema 23 Stepper motor 4.2A 425oz-in 8mmshaft 4-Lead 115MM CNC HOT | eBay

or

Nema23 Stepper Motor Kit 4Nm x 3 Axis + Mounts CNC Parts Mill Router DIY Hobby | eBay
    I wouldn't consider either of those two to be very great kits, one has steppers with 9mH inductance and is supplied with a 36VDC PSU, the other has 12mH inductance if you wire is series, and 3mH in parallel, but at double the current load. And again supplied with a 36VDC PSU.

The DM542's or equivalent, a 48VDC PSU, and steppers as close to 2.3mH or so inductance for any small to mid (or even large) machine will usually be the sweet spot and most optimal config.

The rough but tested way to size a stepper's PSU is 32 x square root of the inductance, so as an example a 2.3mH stepper works out to around 50VDC, so a standard 48VDC PSU is just perfect.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't consider either of those two to be very great kits, one has steppers with 9mH inductance and is supplied with a 36VDC PSU, the other has 12mH inductance if you wire is series, and 3mH in parallel, but at double the current load. And again supplied with a 36VDC PSU.

The DM542's or equivalent, a 48VDC PSU, and steppers as close to 2.3mH or so inductance for any small to mid (or even large) machine will usually be the sweet spot and most optimal config.

The rough but tested way to size a stepper's PSU is 32 x square root of the inductance, so as an example a 2.3mH stepper works out to around 50VDC, so a standard 48VDC PSU is just perfect.

cheers, Ian
    so dm542 is OK.
    psu of 48VDC is OK.
    The thing that I can not understand is they wrote 9mH but under where there is the specs "image" it says 3.8.
    or am I missing something?

here is 2.4 mh:

ACT Motor GmbH 3PCs Nema23 Schrittmotor 23HS6430 Stepper Motor 3.0A 56mm 110Ncm | eBay

So you say that the torque / amper etc. does not matter in my case? These steppers with dm542 + 48vdc psu will be way better then the others?

Downloads
    Uploads

so dm542 is OK.
    psu of 48VDC is OK.
    The thing that I can not understand is they wrote 9mH but under where there is the specs "image" it says 3.8.
    or am I missing something?

here is 2.4 mh:

ACT Motor GmbH 3PCs Nema23 Schrittmotor 23HS6430 Stepper Motor 3.0A 56mm 110Ncm | eBay

So you say that the torque / amper etc. does not matter in my case? These steppers with dm542 + 48vdc psu will be way better then the others?
    The torque/ratings do matter, but you can actually size a stepper too large for the purpose. A PSU that is matched to a good stepper can be far more efficient than a larger stepper incorrectly matched to the load and PSU.

The specs in the listing don't all add up to the details in the image, so I don't know what's going on there or if I'd trust it.

But the latest listing are good steppers. They'd be a great match for most machines. In fact they are pretty much identical to the ones on my large 6090 machine and perform flawlessly.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The torque/ratings do matter, but you can actually size a stepper too large for the purpose. A PSU that is matched to a good stepper can be far more efficient than a larger stepper incorrectly matched to the load and PSU.

The specs in the listing don't all add up to the details in the image, so I don't know what's going on there or if I'd trust it.

But the latest listing are good steppers. They'd be a great match for most machines. In fact they are pretty much identical to the ones on my large 6090 machine and perform flawlessly.

cheers, Ian
    Thanks a lot again,

I am just a little bit worried because perhaps your 6090 machine has a lighter gantry, smaller leadscrew (mine is 25mm), 100 x 150 cm and I am pretty sure mine is less efficient.

Considering these I wanted a little bit more power. So in your opinion, what could be a little bit more powerful setup? or am i worried too much?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How about these? with dm542 and 48v psu?

ACT Motor GmbH 3PCS Nema23 Stepper Motor 23HS2442 Schrittmotor 4.2A 112mm 3.0N. | eBay

http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...1B%203.1Nm.pdf

http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...8B%202.2Nm.pdf

there is
    23HS1442 model with a inductance of 3.0 value but has a smaller shaft of 6.35mm. I prefer 8mm.

Last edited by Crimson11; 09-26-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a lot again,

I am just a little bit worried because perhaps your 6090 machine has a lighter gantry, smaller leadscrew (mine is 25mm), 100 x 150 cm and I am pretty sure mine is less efficient.

Considering these I wanted a little bit more power. So in your opinion, what could be a little bit more powerful setup? or am i worried too much?
    My X leadscrew is 20mm from memory, but my Y leadscrew is 25mm, although my machine is a smaller footprint and working area than yours, my gantry is very sizable and quite heavy. I have around 300 oz/in NEMA23's on the Z and X axis, and the Y axis is a NEMA34 about 330or so oz/in. These perform well more than adequately, mainly because the PSU and drivers are well matched in specs and requirements.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

How about these? with dm542 and 48v psu?

ACT Motor GmbH 3PCS Nema23 Stepper Motor 23HS2442 Schrittmotor 4.2A 112mm 3.0N. | eBay

http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...1B%203.1Nm.pdf

http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/Stepp...8B%202.2Nm.pdf

there is
    23HS1442 model with a inductance of 3.0 value but has a smaller shaft of 6.35mm. I prefer 8mm.
    You can get more optimal, bringing you closer to the max possible match, but those steppers are really good and will be more than capable of pushing a few hundred kilo's around!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My X leadscrew is 20mm from memory, but my Y leadscrew is 25mm, although my machine is a smaller footprint and working area than yours, my gantry is very sizable and quite heavy. I have around 300 oz/in NEMA23's on the Z and X axis, and the Y axis is a NEMA34 about 330or so oz/in. These perform well more than adequately, mainly because the PSU and drivers are well matched in specs and requirements.

cheers, Ian
    oh now here we go!

I decided that I need to design a Nema 32 adapter to Nema 23 for X and Y axis so that this thing of being insufficient goes away...

So another newbie question is: Can I have 2 Nema 32 with adapted driver and psu (which I have no idea what to look for) and for Z axis one nema 23 would be ok? and a breakout board will support it as the voltage etc. stuff is handled by the driver?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can get more optimal, bringing you closer to the max possible match, but those steppers are really good and will be more than capable of pushing a few hundred kilo's around!

cheers, Ian
    exatly which steppers you are talking about?

Downloads
    Uploads

exatly which steppers you are talking about?
    This is a much closer match:

Nema 23 Stepper Motor, 3.5A 300oz in. 2.4mh Inductance (1/4in Double Shaft)

Although around 2.3mH is going to be about the best achievable. As I stated before, multiply the square root of the inductance x 32 to work out the PSU value needed. The higher the inductance, the higher the PSU required, so if a low value PSU is used to match the drivers, but high inductance steppers are used, obviously they won't run optimally. This can mean stalling at higher speeds, lost steps, drop in torque, etc.

Go for the highest rated available driver in the price range, in this case 542's are just great, a 48VDC PSU of at least 5-9A, and steppers as close to 2.3mH inductance as possible, and you have a well matched system capable or really grunty work.

cheers, Ian
    cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a much closer match:

Nema 23 Stepper Motor, 3.5A 300oz in. 2.4mh Inductance (1/4in Double Shaft)

Although around 2.3mH is going to be about the best achievable. As I stated before, multiply the square root of the inductance x 32 to work out the PSU value needed. The higher the inductance, the higher the PSU required, so if a low value PSU is used to match the drivers, but high inductance steppers are used, obviously they won't run optimally. This can mean stalling at higher speeds, lost steps, drop in torque, etc.

Go for the highest rated available driver in the price range, in this case 542's are just great, a 48VDC PSU of at least 5-9A, and steppers as close to 2.3mH inductance as possible, and you have a well matched system capable or really grunty work.

cheers, Ian
    cheers, Ian
    .Thanks a lot again. I decided to go for nema 23 to nema 34 mount adapter so that this problem will go away.
    By your formula it seems that this kit is OK for me:

ACT Motor GmbH 3Axis Nema34 34HS9456 5,6A 98mm 7,7N.m + 3PCS DM860+PowerSupply | eBay