Why does my motor driver become so hot when powered by the adapter?

Thread: Why does my motor driver become so hot when powered by the adapter?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Why does my motor driver become so hot when powered by the adapter?

I have a TB6612FNG motor driver module( TB6612FNG,C,8,EL - Toshiba Semiconductor and Storage - PMIC - Motor Drivers, Controllers - Kynix Semiconductor ). I am trying to control one DC motor (toy DC motor) via Arduino. When I try to run this setup using a 9V battery the motor runs as expected (albeit really slow). But when I change the power supply to a 9V DC 1A AC-DC adapter the motor controller IC gets super hot. When I check the current from the adapter to the circuit, it shows 1.5A, and the voltage across the supply is 4.5 V. The motor runs for a second or two, then it stops. I guess it is because the supplied voltage dropped below the Arduinos operating voltage.So, my questions are:Why does the IC become hot when powered by the adapter? (I guess I burnt one chip already. Shouldn't there be a thermal shutdown?)Why does the voltage drop? I guess probably because the adapter is unregulated, but I am not sure. Do I need to get a different adapter? If yes, what should be the specs? (When I bought this adapter, I did not know about regulated vs. unregulated. The Arduino website suggested 9V 1A, so I got that.)How can I avoid overheating of the IC when running with an adapter?FYI: I am a hobbyist and a newbie in electronics. Please feel free to suggest alternatives and point out the mistakes. I need to control 4 DC motors.Thanks