How important is the driver ?

Thread: How important is the driver ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How important is the driver ?

Hi, i was wondering about some questions in my project. It's the first time i design a CNC machine and i intend to begin with a simple one using steppers.

I have a few questions if anyone can answer:

1) Between 2 drives with a considerably difference in price, the speed that the stepper can reach is different?
    2) The instant torque present at a motor between these two drivers will be different ? Like one will putting more current, or feeding a nicer wave, something like that.
    3) Can anyone point to me the different driving technologies in each driver, sometimes i read "chopper pwm", other times, "constant current bla", or any other stuff, even some really long names.
    4) About those different driving technologies, which one is the better, or there are applications for each ?

PS: I posted the topic in a wrong area of the forum, can it be moved to the stepper section ???

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How important is the driver ?

bump

Downloads
    Uploads

Without getting into the specifics because there are so many variations and drives out there... normally if it cost more, there's a reason. Not just the quality of the parts, but the design circuitry provides a more efficient driver which can increase overall efficiency and performance in a number of ways as well as increased reliability, system protection, setting/tuning options etc. The best bet is to look at all the specs of say 2 or 3 different drivers and compare their capabilities and performance statements.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The most obvious difference between low and high end stepper drivers is that the latter will be much quieter. Cheap stepper drives make a loud hum/buzz/whine whereas the expensive stuff is often silent.

In terms of performance, torque at 0rpm is going to be very similar but more expensive drives tend to do better as speed increases. I don't think you can really compare the quality of stepper drivers with just datasheets, too much depends on exactly how the algorithms are implemented.

I know from experience the leadshine digital and gecko work well. I'd assume pretty much any mid-high end stepper driver made by a decent brand will perform well. Random Chinese drives will turn the stepper but I don't really like using them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, and i intend to run at high speeds, 1200 RPM. So a good driver would be nice, any recommendation ?

Downloads
    Uploads

The specific motor and the voltage you are using has more to do with speed than the drive. But I'd recommend either Gecko, or Leadshine Digital drives. Leadshine AM882's from Ebay are the best bang for the buck.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I would say that the drive is very important, and as said above, the drive cost is a function of the features of the drive. Normally the higher the cost, the more control you have.

Here are two examples that I use:

CNC Stepper Digital motor driver 80V/7.8A/256 Micro Wantai DQ860MA, $45.00 This drive will turn a stepper motor with reasonable performance. I use these for non-critical applications.
    CNC Stepper Digital motor driver 80V/7.8A/256 Micro Wantai DQ860MA

How important is the driver ?-img_1499-jpg

SureStep DC advanced microstepping drive, 10A per phase, 2-phase, 24-80 VDC, $275.00 This drive will control a stepper motor and is fully tunable and programmable. These are ones I use for running CNC machines.
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../STP-DRV-80100

How important is the driver ?-img_1500-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I would say that the drive is very important, and as said above, the drive cost is a function of the features of the drive. Normally the higher the cost, the more control you have.

Here are two examples that I use:

CNC Stepper Digital motor driver 80V/7.8A/256 Micro Wantai DQ860MA, $45.00 This drive will turn a stepper motor with reasonable performance. I use these for non-critical applications.
    CNC Stepper Digital motor driver 80V/7.8A/256 Micro Wantai DQ860MA

How important is the driver ?-img_1499-jpg

SureStep DC advanced microstepping drive, 10A per phase, 2-phase, 24-80 VDC, $275.00 This drive will control a stepper motor and is fully tunable and programmable. These are ones I use for running CNC machines.
    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../STP-DRV-80100

How important is the driver ?-img_1500-jpg
    I see. I think my doubt has been solved. I'll be looking more in those two drives and see the difference between both. Thanks man, again!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guys, is there in the market drives that control Digital Servos and Stepper motors? I saw somewhere, but i lost the link i think!

Also what's the difference between these Digital Servos and Analog Servos, mode of control and why there are two types, i thought they're just servos.

Downloads
    Uploads

Granite Devices I think makes a drive that works with both steppers and servos.

I believe that the difference between analog and digital is if the drive takes an analog control voltage, or step and direction. There's no difference in the motor, except maybe the type of encoders used.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

There are Digital Servo Drives and ''digital drives''

True Digital Servo Drives accept a command signal from a digital motion controller, normally over EtherCAT, or CANbus. These are a relatively new development in the motion control world. I first saw reference to them about 10 years ago. I have never seen them in anything but high end heavy industrial equipment. As far as I know, the motors are the same as the analog drive systems. I don't know if any machine tool manufactures are using them.

The analog drive has been the industry standard for at least 50 years. Normally accepts a +/- 10V command signal. I have also seen some newer low end ones that accept a 0-5V command signal and use various combinations of analog and digital input. In this case digital means an On or Off signal to control the direction.

Then there are the ''digital drives'' you find on Ebay. This is more marketing hype than a true description. These normally have a DSP chip in them and may be user programmable to varying degrees. I suppose that any common stepper drive could be called a ''digital drive'' because they accept a ''digital'' signal for step and direction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    There are Digital Servo Drives and ''digital drives''

True Digital Servo Drives accept a command signal from a digital motion controller, normally over EtherCAT, or CANbus. These are a relatively new development in the motion control world. I first saw reference to them about 10 years ago. I have never seen them in anything but high end heavy industrial equipment. As far as I know, the motors are the same as the analog drive systems. I don't know if any machine tool manufactures are using them.

The analog drive has been the industry standard for at least 50 years. Normally accepts a +/- 10V command signal. I have also seen some newer low end ones that accept a 0-5V command signal and use various combinations of analog and digital input. In this case digital means an On or Off signal to control the direction.

Then there are the ''digital drives'' you find on Ebay. This is more marketing hype than a true description. These normally have a DSP chip in them and may be user programmable to varying degrees. I suppose that any common stepper drive could be called a ''digital drive'' because they accept a ''digital'' signal for step and direction.
    But a digital servo drive could be used on a stepper ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by imitheo View Post
    But a digital servo drive could be used on a stepper ?
    No, servo drives and stepper drives output two completely different signals to the motor. A stepper motor is 2 phase, a servo motor is 3 phase (brushless dc motors), or DC. There are some servo drives that will operate both brushless and brushed motors. I have never seen a drive that is advertized as being able to operate both a brushless and stepper.

The digital drives are referring to the input control signal rather than the output to the motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are drivers that use closed loop with 3 phase stepper , they are more quiet than rest and achive higher rpm .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    There are drivers that use closed loop with 3 phase stepper , they are more quiet than rest and achive higher rpm .
    The only problem is that i was unable to find them in my country.

Downloads
    Uploads

Neither i dint find them in my country , but i was buying from aliexpress , and all works ok .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    Neither i dint find them in my country , but i was buying from aliexpress , and all works ok .
    The thing is, i need to buy here.