Need help

Thread: Need help

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help

Hi yall,
    Im new to the forum and well im having some problems... im working on building my own cnc plasma cutting table and well i cant seem to get the motors to work... i ended up buying the longs motor kit off amazon with 4 nema 23 stepper motors. I wired everyhting up according to what they said in the wiring diagram and nothing... when i plug everyhting in the motors get power and all lock up... i checked the driver test on mach 3 and it came back that my pulse rating was excellent... also my drivers and power supplies all have green lights as well as the bob... i dont know what i should do ive tried several different things and nothing seems to work.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Randall

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help

Are you using a 32-bit version of Windows? Mach3 won't run the parallel port with a 64-bit OS. Another thing you might check is to make sure the LPT port is set to EPP mode in BIOS.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear sir,
    Thank you for the reply, i had a hard time finding this forum it got moved... anyway yes i have. 32bit computer and i checked the other day and my card is set in epp mode...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also my computer is running windows xp if that matters....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any help would be appreciated.... idk what to do... im thinking it has to be either mach3(i have the trail version right now), the pci card or the pci cord...

Downloads
    Uploads

If you plug a limit switch in the BOB, does Mach read a signal when it activate?

Also, manuals are not always good. I ordered a stepper from a local (Canadian) web shop and the wiring diagram was not good at all.

I had to proceed by trial and errors to find which wire is associated with which coil.

Careful though, ALWAYS power DOWN the drive before you unplug the stepper from it.

Last edited by Biggs427; 06-16-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think what Biggs meant to write was "power DOWN the drive before you unplug the stepper" - and give a little extra time for any caps to drain.

Looking at the feedback on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=...b=&vasStoreID= , it seems that Longs isn't as unresponsive as some Chinese sellers. Have you tried asking them what might be going on? I'd look particularly at the positions of the DIP switches - it seems that at least one person thought they were upside-down.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I think what Biggs meant to write was "power DOWN the drive before you unplug the stepper" - and give a little extra time for any caps to drain.

You are right, I typed too fast; I corrected the post.

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post

Looking at the feedback on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/sp?_encoding=...b=&vasStoreID= , it seems that Longs isn't as unresponsive as some Chinese sellers. Have you tried asking them what might be going on? I'd look particularly at the positions of the DIP switches - it seems that at least one person thought they were upside-down.
    Thank you for the repies guys! I will try swiching the dip swiches around in the morning after work... also i dont have any limit switches yet. Should i go ahead and order some?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also i havnt tried different wiring combination s on the steppers cause i didnt want to burn them up... but if it isnt going to burn them up ill give it a try

Downloads
    Uploads

A limit switch is just a contact. You can just take a wire and jump the limit input and ground or vcc. I don't know which one your bob needs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    A limit switch is just a contact. You can just take a wire and jump the limit input and ground or vcc. I don't know which one your bob needs
    Ok ill also try that in the morning.. thank you

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so i wired a estop up 2 the bob in pin 13 and the ground connection and mach3 doesnt see it.. i tried flopping the wires around too nothing... this is what i was afraid of... not what next? Bad pci card, cord,maxh 3 settings? Also btw the pci card is add on card.... thx

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also i made sure to set the port to 1 and the pin to 13...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok guys i went to the college yesturday and tried seeing if i could get anything to work there... no go.. the reason i tried that computer is cause i know the pci card works on it (it runs a plasmacam)... any more suggestions on what i should do?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok guys finally got the motors to turn.. i ended up buying a usb bob from build your cnc and it looks like a really nice bob.. anyway i the motors not turn.. im not sure if it was the bob, the parrellel cable, or the printer card... at least now they at least turn...lol thx for your help