What is a "safe" running temperature

Thread: What is a "safe" running temperature

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What is a "safe" running temperature

I'm running two TB6600 on my X axis and one AM882 digital drive on Y.

I ran a job for 45 minutes. This job was heavier than what I usually do. 3d adaptive cleaning with a 1/2 ball cutter, 3/16 DOC at 130IPM.

While the job was running I monitored the temperature of the steppers. The ambient temperature was 21 Celsius.

At the end of the job, the Y motor was at 36 Celsius which is good, but the X1 at 51 and the X2 at 54.

Are the X stepper running too hot? I will have more jobs like this one to run so is it time to speed up my digital drive research?

What is the safest temperature to run stepper motors?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What is a "safe" running temperature

I saw this in another post, 80 degree C or the wire isolation and rotor-magnetism will degrade, When I saw your post I was thinking 60C to 70C, this is what I see on most electronic parts. When I have a long run I use a small table fan to reduce the heat, it takes very little air movement to cool the stepper down. I worry about the rotor-magnetism degrading.

Downloads
    Uploads

we tried to demagnetize some servo motors by running current through them until they stopped heating. It didn't do anything, and they would get to 175F. We had to put insulation around them to get them that hot. We did this many, many times

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    I'm running two TB6600 on my X axis and one AM882 digital drive on Y.

I ran a job for 45 minutes. This job was heavier than what I usually do. 3d adaptive cleaning with a 1/2 ball cutter, 3/16 DOC at 130IPM.

While the job was running I monitored the temperature of the steppers. The ambient temperature was 21 Celsius.

At the end of the job, the Y motor was at 36 Celsius which is good, but the X1 at 51 and the X2 at 54.

Are the X stepper running too hot? I will have more jobs like this one to run so is it time to speed up my digital drive research?

What is the safest temperature to run stepper motors?

Thanks
    Safe temperature is hotter than that. Steppers can get very hot, even hotter than 60-70 C, so don't worry. Which stepper gets hotter depends on which one is doing most of the working but also depends on the driver and the driver setup. If the driver is differently set up for one motor than for an other then they may have different temperatures even if they work equally much. Also, some drivers, especially Toshiba based, are not that good at keeping the steppers cool, the current saving is not well implemented.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by unterhaus View Post
    we tried to demagnetize some servo motors by running current through them until they stopped heating. It didn't do anything, and they would get to 175F. We had to put insulation around them to get them that hot. We did this many, many times
    175F is about 80C. It is hot but should not represent an issue unless it is for a long time. I think the lubrication of bearings will be vaporised at that temperature pretty fast, and that should definitely be a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWill View Post
    I saw this in another post, 80 degree C or the wire isolation and rotor-magnetism will degrade, When I saw your post I was thinking 60C to 70C, this is what I see on most electronic parts. When I have a long run I use a small table fan to reduce the heat, it takes very little air movement to cool the stepper down. I worry about the rotor-magnetism degrading.
    60-70 C is perfectly normal for motors, 80C is maybe a bit too hot. I would not worry in your case.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow,

That's some heat. I was worried because mine will get warm in my hand. I'm just going to put some 12v computer fans cable tied to the motors just in case.

I calculated my motors at somewhere near 46v I think and I'm running them at 48v.

Happy Days

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Per the manual for the TB6600: Operating temperature = -30 to 85 °C
    I operate smaller servos at higher temps in a 3D Lab. They have to be cooled and kept dust free with dry compressed air because of the materials we work with.