Need Help! How to Wire Stepper Motors Facing Each Other For Same Direction Running...

Thread: How to Wire Stepper Motors Facing Each Other For Same Direction Running...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question How to Wire Stepper Motors Facing Each Other For Same Direction Running...

Hello Folks,

I have two stepper motors that are facing each other to run my Y axis, and when I try to run them,
    they try to run in opposite directions. How do I wire them to run in the same direction? They are
    4 wire motors. I tried reversing the power wires from the CNC controller to one of the motor drivers,
    but the motor didn't move at all after that. So I am assuming that I am going to have to re-wire the
    A- A+ B- B+ wires in some fashion, I'm just not sure how.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Patrick

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to Wire Stepper Motors Facing Each Other For Same Direction Running...

I don't think it's recommended to run two motors off the same driver, which it sounds like you're trying to do. To make your configuration work, you'd have to run one forward and the other in reverse, off different drivers, at the same speed. Steppers aren't reversed by wiring them backwards, like regular DC motors; you need to change the Direction bit. Or you could give yourself a break and get one motor that's strong enough to do the job...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to Wire Stepper Motors Facing Each Other For Same Direction Running...

hey patrickmm not sure if this will help you or not but check this out and see
    https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_Motor

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think it's recommended to run two motors off the same driver, which it sounds like you're trying to do. To make your configuration work, you'd have to run one forward and the other in reverse, off different drivers, at the same speed. Steppers aren't reversed by wiring them backwards, like regular DC motors; you need to change the Direction bit. Or you could give yourself a break and get one motor that's strong enough to do the job...
    The above is wrong.

1. Stepper motors are run off the same driver all the time in the 3D printer world and it works fine.
    2. You CAN reverse one motor by simply switching the + and - wires on one coil. Do this on only one coil, either A or B, but not both. This will reverse the rotation of that motor.