Humble NEWB Seeks HELP of Expierienced CNCers. Donated Motors.

Thread: Humble NEWB Seeks HELP of Expierienced CNCers. Donated Motors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Humble NEWB Seeks HELP of Expierienced CNCers. Donated Motors.

Hello community! I come asking for advice and direction with humility.

When it comes to building a CNC I'm a NEWB. I've been dreaming about building a CNC Router from MDF/Plywood, I'm set on a Gantry style build with the following requirements for travel:

~36" on X Axis
    ~24" on Y Axis
    ~6" on Z Axis

I'm planning to drive all 3 axis' with Leadscrews.

I'm only in the planning stages, so now is the point I'm open to changing plans. I like to buy EVERYTHING at once and have everything I need for a build ready on day 1. Consider me CHEAP but Patient. I'm also a very confident DIYer.

In an effort to keep things cheap as possible I've decided to try to salvage as much as possible. I reached out to a local office supplier about old printers that I might be able to salvage, and they sent me a box of shafting and motors for FREE! Feels like a SCORE, but I don't know what printers they came from or much about them. That's where (Hopefully) the experience of the group can help me determine what I need to know to select the drivers, and if they will work for what I have in mind. I'm going to list everything I know about the motors below.

The following motors didn't have a manufacturer listed, my research leads me to think they're probably Shinano-Kenshi, but I can't get a definite answer from them or any information on the motors. So the manufacturer is NOT confirmed.

1. STP-58D1008 - 1.8*/Step, 3.8(Ohms) LFa - 27Z97G - NEMA 23
    2. STP-59D1009 - 1.8*/Step, 2.1(Ohms) LFa - No. 26460G - NEMA 23
    3. STP-59D1019 - 1.8*/Step, 1.3(Ohms) LFa - 03970G - NEMA 23
    4. STP-59D1015 - 1.8*/Step, 1.3(Ohms) LFa - No. 28663G - NEMA 23
    5. STP-59D1015-01 - 1.8*/Step, 1.3(Ohms) LFa - 09503G - NEMA 23
    6. STP-42D2082 - 1.8*/Step, 3.9(Ohms) LFa - No.06564G - NEMA 17

The following motor I have very little information on.

7. STEPPING MOTOR - 57BYGH56-401A, 1.8 (assuming this is the */Step), FH no: 10.09.24 - NEMA 23

The following are all Minebea Co motors.

8. Astrosyn STEPPER Type 17PM-K320-G1V, No. T9Z01-01 - NEMA 17
    9. Astrosyn STEPPER Type 17PU-H307-G3ST, No. T7Z03-03 - NEMA 17
    10. 17PM-K145-GIV, No. T6707-01- NEMA 17
    11. 17PM-J212-G3VS, No T6522-01T - NEMA 17

The following are just random motors that I assume are not worth trying to use for this application, however information on them may prove useful down the road as I have plans to build a small desktop 3D Printer once I've become accustomed to building a CNC.

12. TEC STEPPING MOTOR - SP-55HD-027, Coil 22(Ohms), 7.5*/Step, Lot No F3420
    13. Sanyo FBQD00018 - 930313, A4.7 (Ohms)
    14. STEPPING MOTOR 9W OKI 8X18AL1 - KBL42CCB560B, DC 6.4V, 10.4(Ohms), 7.5*/Step
    15. STEPPING MOTOR 9W OKI 8D22 - KHL42CC36A, DC 5.5V, 7.6(Ohms), 7.5*/Step
    16. 614X - ?????

Any information I can get either on the motors, or how to determine the right driver for these would be appreciated. Also, I'm certain I don't know everything I need to know to choose my drivers and power supply.

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Humble NEWB Seeks HELP of Expierienced CNCers. Donated Motors.

Boy oh boy ........I would have to say that pushing sh!t uphill with a sharp stick is going to be easier.

If you just want to dabble with building a quircky gantry router for the fun of it, the path you are treading will satisfy your curiosity........but for real...... you need to go the conventional path and buy in the proper materials and follow a proper design build.......otherwise you'll be chasing your tail.....forever....trying to work out why the "durned ting don't wanna do what ya' want it ta"...........yeah, I'm a conventionalist.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like you're going to be running this thing from arduino.

Yes, to satisfy your curiosity, it could be fun. Just expect a low performance threshold and expect whatever you make to move slowly. It might actually make some nice carvings, it would just take a long time to do it. Just knock the frame together with some scrap bits of wood. A dremel tool for a spindle? Could be a fun little project. I should make something with these cheap components too. Not a serious CNC machine......no, that would be silly,.......I was thinking more along the lines of a little R2D2 or BB8. Some toy fun robot thing.

If you could figure out the amps/phase on those motors that would be a good start for choosing a board and drivers. You should call that office supply place back up and tell them that they forgot to give you the motor mounts and power supply.

Wow, I found where you can buy 5 stepper motor drivers for under $10!

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-St...dp/B00MQR93QC?

I assume those are for Nema 17's !?!?

You just have to watch them, because if you read the reviews, they do tend to catch on fire from time to time

Perhaps one of the other popular Arduino options then.

Good luck, keep us posted on your project as it progresses.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My intention would be to build the best CNC I can with what I have. If I find the experiment enjoyable and want to increase the quality of what I've built, I figure it probably wouldnt be too difficult to replace the motors and drivers down the road.

Handle wanker, is your concern mostly the motors? Or do you feel mdf/plywood builds are too unconventional? Or maybe its the gantry style?

Nic, I'm going in with zero expectation on performance and speed. Im thinking about using either my dremel or a cheap trip router. I was able to find a 36"x96" piece of 3/4" MDF in the pallet burn pile at the dump. Most of this build will come from that.

Is there a way to use the information I know about the motors along with a volt meter or something to find amps/phase? Or am I out of luck without a spec sheet from the manufacturer?

I will create a build diary for this project when its off the ground. (Too many projects on my list)

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk