New machine electronics setup questions

Thread: New machine electronics setup questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New machine electronics setup questions

New machine build and having trouble with power supplies faulting on overvoltage (I suspect) while motors are decelerating. I have attached my simplified wiring diagram with pertinent information regarding to problems. I had originally had power supplies and drivers spec'd for me based on my motor info before purchasing.

What I am finding is that if my Max Vel is set to over 400IPM, that on occasion, I trip the power supplies. I have a dual Y axis motor set up and have 1 Y axis motor on each power supply. This happens when Y axis is decelerating and no other axis movement. It has tripped either PS, but never both.

My machine (FLA Saturn 4x4), should be able to rapid at speeds of 750IPM, but I would be happy with around 5-600.

Can someone look at my setup and see if there is anything I can do differently with the hardware I have. Would changing the Max Accel help? Should I go slower or faster?

When this happens, my drivers (2) loose power and all I have to do is cycle power to power supplies. The problem with that is, that my software doesn't know that I have lost 2 drivers and wants to let the toolpath continue. Is there some how to prevent this? May be with the ENA+/ENA- terminals on the drivers? Keeping in mind that the drivers are not powered when the PS faults on overvoltage.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Dave

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New machine electronics setup questions-stepper-wiring-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New machine electronics setup questions

You could run 48V from your power supply to the coil of a relay, and have the relay trip an estop when the DC drops out.

To prevent it, you could try lowering the acceleration. But you really want acceleration as fast as possible, for best performance.
    Adding large capacitors between the power supplies and drives might help. But, it might be cheaper and easier to just get a toroidal power supply, instead of the switchers.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New machine electronics setup questions

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You could run 48V from your power supply to the coil of a relay, and have the relay trip an estop when the DC drops out.

To prevent it, you could try lowering the acceleration. But you really want acceleration as fast as possible, for best performance.
    Adding large capacitors between the power supplies and drives might help. But, it might be cheaper and easier to just get a toroidal power supply, instead of the switchers.
    What size toroidial power supply would I need based on my motor specs? If I am going to do that, should I also go to 70V instead of 48V? Thanks for the relay idea, too! For the time being, I am going to try keeping my rapids at 400ipm so that I can see what else I need to do.