PSU parallel connection

Thread: PSU parallel connection

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PSU parallel connection

Having some doubts about PSU connection in my build.
    so far I have tested board, drivers and motors with a single 36V 10A PSU, however I have 2 of them and want to connect parallel.
    36V with 20A in total.
    the question is: can higher number of DC ampere damage stepper drivers?
    currently now I have 2x leadshine 860 for X and Y axis and tb6600 for Z axis.
    motors may use up to 4.7A

Please excuse me if thread is under wrong category.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PSU parallel connection

Not a good idea to connect power supplies in parallel unless they are designed for this kind of operation. It is better to split them, i.e. connect each driver to its own power supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

CitizenOfDreams, thanks for an answer.

I cannot imagine what wrong could happed to PSU themselves. And even if they would have some feedback from any other component or 2nd power supply unit, a simple diode should ensure safety, right?
    Would be nice if anyone could provide an successful example or explanation why this scheme can't work. Not trying to convince that I am right or something. Just curious.
    PSUs are like this 36V 11A AC/DC PSU Regulated Switching Power Supply 400W | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

As per post #2, I would not do it, these are SMPS's and they generally try and regulate the output to whatever the adjustment pot is, if you have one slightly higher than the other, it may try to overcompensate or other undesirable effect, if you place a couple of steering diodes, this could result in just one power supply supplying power.
    If that curious try it, let us know how it works out!
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

if it`s DC then the same voltage, connecting it in parallel makes the amperage add up, I even use twin power supply on my PC to ramp up the amperage on my 12V because last time I used a high amperage video card, single PSU trips @ 15 minutes of gaming, so I bought another PSU to help carry the high current loads, same thing on solar + wind mill in one charge controller, DC Voltages does`nt contradict with each other compared to the AC voltage that you need a phase match circuit to be able to connect it in parallel due to the Hz, if the frequency does`nt match for sure it will contradict with each other.

Parallel PSU

Parallel PSU Refrigerated PC