Need Help! 425oz motors constantly stalling - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 425oz motors constantly stalling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 425oz motors constantly stalling

How many wires on your stepper motors? Some have 8 wires and you can wire the coils up in series or parallel. One mode use less current than the other and has no speed or torque. I found out the hard way and had to upgrade my power supply. There is nothing wrong with your drivers. I have the DM542A drives and run then at 40x microstepping at up to 750 rpm on NEMA23 AND NEMA34s

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    How many wires on your stepper motors? Some have 8 wires and you can wire the coils up in series or parallel. One mode use less current than the other and has no speed or torque. I found out the hard way and had to upgrade my power supply. There is nothing wrong with your drivers. I have the DM542A drives and run then at 40x microstepping at up to 750 rpm on NEMA23 AND NEMA34s
    Unfortunately only 4 wires...

Seriously tho, 9 inductance is way too high. What you think about those bad boys?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1492672586113

Must be vstly better considering inductance of 3,7mH.

Last edited by sanekc; 04-20-2017 at 06:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are at 320 steps per inch I would go futher into microstepping and get it at least over a 1000. Hey but what do I know. Money is a good thing to throw around. The controller I just did has the same exact setup and if I ran those motors at 320 spi it would be stalling as well. It is smooth as silk at 10000 (not exact step).

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I didn't see if you had the 48v psu on it yet. My controller is at 48v.

- - - Updated - - -

Power supply for the steppers that is.

Downloads
    Uploads

thank you for advice I will sure try this out! I think I messed about steps per mm (I don't use inches), i'm now at 3200 for this setting and when i say to machine to do +8 on Y it goes at 8cm, maybe the problem is here and I need to have a 32000 per unit instead 3200 to have millimeters. Will see what it changes.

Yes, I haven't received the 48v yet, not throwing money on new motors until I tried everything

Will invite aswell a friend of my who succesfully made a cnc but with leadshine drivers and stuff.

Will post the results!

Here I found a little calculator to mess around, gives me this :

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=359578&stc=1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 425oz motors constantly stalling-calc-mach3-jpg  
    Last edited by sanekc; 04-20-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be at that mill on Friday I will get you all of my specs. It is a taig mill and it is set up in mm as well. That is if you want them to compare against.

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely, thank you kind sir!

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys, thanks to all of you people (and also to the guy who helped me in person)! I'm stalling at 95ipm now but it's ok for me haha! 1800-1900mmpm approx.

Mach 3 settings : steps per unit (mm) 320, Velocity 1800, acceleration 250.

Thank god I haven't bought other motor yet. But yeah it's too late for the power supply so it will be 48v in a few days

Have a nice week end guys and keep making beautiful things with those fine machines of yours!

Downloads
    Uploads

1,2 5, and 8 dip switches are in the on position. x is 10100 steps y is 10100 steps z is 10649 steps and he is running millimeters on a taig mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll bet that is a knock off DM542 driver and NOT the real one. If you want to see a driver that can actually throw a load around, check out my THB6064AH driver (from the U.S.of A.) guaranteed... NOT a knock off.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sanekc View Post
    Inductance is 9mH i believe!
    It sounds like you have the same "longsmotor" kit that I bought on ebay. The ad does say 9mH but the spec sheet I found for the actual part number on the motors I received said it was 6.8mH. I emailed Yolanda at longsmotor & she said it was definitely 6.8 mh. That's at least some better than 9!

Max stepper motor rpm on 3A, 36V, 6.8 mH should be set for 265 rpm, 352 rpm on 48V. I'm going to set my axis velocities for the 36V supply that came with the kit and build a 48v linear supply later for more speed. I'd like to know how you get on with yours & hope you get it fixed. I've heard they do fine once they're set up properly.

I don't really know much about all the numbers & the theory behind it but thankfully there are online calculators that help. Stepper Motor Calculator

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davy182 View Post
    1,2 5, and 8 dip switches are in the on position. x is 10100 steps y is 10100 steps z is 10649 steps and he is running millimeters on a taig mill.
    Thank you for your trouble man!

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    I'll bet that is a knock off DM542 driver and NOT the real one. If you want to see a driver that can actually throw a load around, check out my THB6064AH driver (from the U.S.of A.) guaranteed... NOT a knock off.
    I'm sure as hell it's some knock offs. The company is longsmotors and it was cheap as dirt, but I didn't want to throw too much money in this machine, my wife almost killed me when she saw the whole price.

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    It sounds like you have the same "longsmotor" kit that I bought on ebay. The ad does say 9mH but the spec sheet I found for the actual part number on the motors I received said it was 6.8mH. I emailed Yolanda at longsmotor & she said it was definitely 6.8 mh. That's at least some better than 9!

Max stepper motor rpm on 3A, 36V, 6.8 mH should be set for 265 rpm, 352 rpm on 48V. I'm going to set my axis velocities for the 36V supply that came with the kit and build a 48v linear supply later for more speed. I'd like to know how you get on with yours & hope you get it fixed. I've heard they do fine once they're set up properly.

I don't really know much about all the numbers & the theory behind it but thankfully there are online calculators that help. Stepper Motor Calculator
    I'm a newbie so I don't really understand fully how all this stuff works, I just try this and thar and crossing the fingers it'll work out haha. Good news it's 6,8mh tho! I'm just made some basic maths and with 36v it maxes normally at 1400 mmpm and with 48 at 1600 based on rpm! I think I will reduce the speed to 1400 on the motor setup page! Thank you for the link.

Right now my setting are :

on the stepper driver : 2,8A peak, pin 4 on, 1600 (1/8) microsteps.

mach3 : steps per unit - 320, velocity 1700, acceleration 250, everything else is untouched.

I've managed to setup a touch probe with success, finally, and I started to surface the working area, cmt bit 20mm, 2mm deep pass, 1600mm. It starts ok, but I've noticed when it returns to the bottom of the plane it have some weird offset, like i've tried to draw here :
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=360182&stc=1

Am I losing steps on X axis? I need to lower the feedrate to prevent this? Thank you in advance, you've been very helpful guys, appreciate this.

Here is the video of machine's first attempts :

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 425oz motors constantly stalling-sans-titre-1-jpg  
    Last edited by sanekc; 04-26-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks more like a g-code problem to me. Post the g-code so we can see it. If it isn't g-code related at least it will eliminate it as a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it's the x axis problem, i were not smart enough to have 2 motor on this one and made it too large (800mm of gantry) so when it moves it struggles. tried to make some holes today, absolute fail with holes not aligned etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

The machine makes a diagonal move in the direction opposite of what is expected. It is not missed steps and it is not stalling. Post the G-code if you really want help with this. Until we see what is being commanded we cannot begin to tell you what is wrong. I still think that looks like a commanded move and is likely in the g-code.

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately ive already deleted the file, will post something else when i have this problem again. Thank you alot!

Downloads
    Uploads

Just disassembled the table to take a look at the ballscrew... Well, the two screws on the coupler were not here anymore, with vibrations and stuff they were gone so the only force i had between the coupler and the ballscrew end was friction. Explains a lot of things...

Also installed the 48v power supply, will see if it works out better or not!

Downloads
    Uploads

I had that issue with a all in one China board. Turns out it was a defective board. They are a $38 item from China so when that issue pops up, I just get another board

Sent from my Lenovo S90-A using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I finally just disassembled everything and screwed it all back together, no problem with x axis anymore, but there is some resonance some times. I think I will try to elaborate some dampers for this matter.

Anyway, my first cuts to make holders in soft wood were successful so the situation improves thanks to you guys!

Last edited by sanekc; 05-02-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello guys, I have a problem here again... When doing a complex code with V bit the machine loosed it's zero through the code and at the end it was completely off so my piece was wasted and went to the bin... Reasonable speeds, Y axis is smooth, I lubricated all of the machine with the lithium lube.

I seriously think it is the driver losing steps problem and I considering buying the gecko g540 package and end all this pain once for all. It'll also will set the resonance problem i still have (not much but still).

Have a nice day guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast