Newbie Brainstorming, using an Arduino GRBL kit from eBay for a router build

Thread: Brainstorming, using an Arduino GRBL kit from eBay for a router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Brainstorming, using an Arduino GRBL kit from eBay for a router build

I bought an Arduino GRBL kit from eBay ( Arduino CNC Kit w/ UNO + Shield+ Stepper motors DRV8825 Endstop A4988 GRBL | eBay ), and i plan to build it into a CNC Router.
    I guess my biggest question at the moment is, are NEMA 17 steppers strong enough? they look pretty small, and i can stall them with my fingers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

~Travis

Similar Threads:
    Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).
    about 48 X 48 X 5 inch working, Perske 3PH 5HP spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Brainstorming, using an Arduino GRBL kit from eBay for a router build

a little research suggests that NEMA 17 motors are a little weak for routing. perhaps i can use them for a laser engraver.

I am currently sourcing some inexpensive NEMA 23 motors/drivers that will work with my GRBL Arduino shield (without the OEM stepper drivers installed).

~Travis

Techno Isel Gantry III (?) base machine. EMC/LinuxCNC controller (Mesa 7i80HD-16).

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Brainstorming, using an Arduino GRBL kit from eBay for a router build

just bought 3 of these to upgrade my current setup in prep for NEMA 23 steppers: ( TB6600 stepper motor driver 2phase 12-48VDC 5A for NEMA17 23 motor CNC router | eBay )
    I will have to build a conversion interface, but they should be compatible, if i did my homework right.
    while waiting for those, and money for the upgrade steppers, i will take the time to draw up a rough design of what i want my machine to look like.

As i am going for a mostly wood frame (i am a carpenter, so it is the easiest for me to work with), i will have to design in some extra bracing to maintain rigidity. I suspect i will also have to polyurethane the heck out of it to seal the wood. mainly just to prevent decalibration from humidity, if possible.

~Travis

Downloads
    Uploads

why was this thread moved? it is not just about stepper motors, it is a brainstorm in progress of a build i am planing for a DIY CNC router using open source components.

~Travis