Need Help! Need stepper motors for new build machine. Fast woodworking.

Thread: Need stepper motors for new build machine. Fast woodworking.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need stepper motors for new build machine. Fast woodworking.

Hi. I would like to buy some fast stepper motor that i am going to use for wood.i already have some nema34 with 12 nm but with the pc on parallel port and some chinese drivers i can only get to 3300 mm/min. And sometimes i lose steps.i understand that some nema23 are faster.i would like to use servos but they cost too much.i got the motors from this guy on ebay.
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/EU-DE-Free-Wantai-3Axis-Nema34-Stepper-Motor-1232oz-in-Driver-7-8A-Laser-CNC-/222376548943?hash=item33c6acda4f%3Ag%3A2mwAAOSwopR YeJYX&_trkparms=pageci%253A6d578da5-15ce-11e7-b170-74dbd180d28c%257Cparentrq%253A22b8fb1215b0aa118295 da08ffffe645%257Ciid%253A2
    I would like to ask some help so that i can get more speed from a stepper motor without lossing steps.if not i would consider buying servomotors.
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need stepper motors for new build machine. Fast woodworking.

You need to provide all specs of your machine. Size weight, how it's driven, gear ratios, ....
    Pictures may help.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

looking at the kit you have
    the motors inductance 6.5mH and the power supplies output voltage of 60V will be a limiting factor

from the Gecko Drive web site
    the ideal supply voltage = 32 x the square root of the motor inductance in mH

for motors with an inductance of 6.5mH you need to use 80V power supplies to get the maximum speed
    as 80V is the maximum for the stepper drivers it may be better to look for motors with a lower inductance

motors with an inductance of 3.5 mH would be OK with your 60V power supplies and maintains the 20V safety margin for your stepper drivers

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

aha. so thats how you calculate.i bought the kit from him but the 1600 oz-in motors 6A.well my effective are of machining will be (x)1100 mm x (y)800 mm x (z)200 mm.The bulid is totaly made out of metal tubing (40mmx20mm).i will make the slide sistem with linear rail 30 mm without support. i think this will more than enough for wood. about the drive system, i used at first a screw and nut system but it is to slow and to buy a ballscrew with 10mm thread for wood is to expensive.i would like to try belt drive but i dont know if i would lose steps.i saw on youtube someone put chains instead of belt.dont want to spent to much on it , i only have a buget of 1000 dolars.i have everything expect the motors, drive sistem ( belt or screw) and the sliding sistem (i have to buy linear rail 30mm, i already have the bearings).

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem is your drivers, not you motors. If you can build a kit, my THB6064AH drivers will fix that /right/ up. See the gallery page for videos of it tossing around a full sized router and moving a house sized concrete 3D printer. If not, buy a geckodrive.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)