Stepper Controller Recomendations

Thread: Stepper Controller Recomendations

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Controller Recomendations

Hey everybody! Long time

So I've had the HobbyCNC 4 axis controller board running for like 10 years now - over the weekend it fried (my fault) and I had a cheap 5 axis board I got off ebay as a spare based on the TB6550 chip - well I got it all wired up and I am not satisfied with the performance... motors stalling, z axis has really weird movement (seems like some kind of noise or something) and I had to slow things down to half speed to even get anything done... I read a few posts about how to fix the board by wiring up something to clean the signal but I want to instead look for other recommendations - there are a TON of things on eBay nowadays and I can't tell what might be good LOL

What's the defacto hobby cnc controller these days?

I do need at least 4 axis if that matters

Thanks!
    Jamie

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper Controller Recomendations

If you don't mind soldering, my kits are pretty much impossible to beat for the power and reliability vs the cost. If you want the very best and can afford it, buy a GeckoDrive. If you want good value, at low cost, DO NOT buy cheap crap from China! (you already learned with the TB6560) But if you must, the TB6600's can be... twitchy, but ok and the DM542 and others like it are well spoken of...

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool - thanks for the reply - I will check out your site and probably order a couple

I need 4 axis so I can order a 3 axis kit and add 1 single?

Jamie

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BackyardWorkshop View Post
    Cool - thanks for the reply - I will check out your site and probably order a couple

I need 4 axis so I can order a 3 axis kit and add 1 single?

Jamie
    Yep. Just edit the quantity in the cart and press enter.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)