Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stepper motor not rotating

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: stepper motor not rotating

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Haitem56,
    You MACH3 ports/pins configuration looks wrong. Please try this configuration as your board uses the standard parallel ports and almost all boards have this configuration.

Attachment 352936

I think when you fix this you will sudden find that your motors work just fine.

Russ
    I tried this configuration but its the same nothing rotate but all the three led light up https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...56a120ff58.jpg

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    mach3 pin setting from the manual
    Attachment 352940

to test for step & direction signals from your printer port
    you will find it easier with a logic probe
    the step pulses as you jog an axis will be easier to see on the amber LED on the probes stretched output
    than the jumbled display of a digital multimeter

Attachment 352964
    this logic probe is from
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOGIC-LEVEL...ds=logic+probe

once you are sure you have the expected output from the printer port

with the board connected to your computer you should see the 3 activity LEDs on the board respond to the step pulses
    provided the logic levels are high enough to drive the boards inputs

Attachment 352950

John
    Am getting only 3.39 volt from the parrallel port shouldn't be 5 or near

Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,
    John-100 apparently found the manual on this particular board set it back to the way it shows in the manual. Then you can use your multi meter to test the X axis first. How are you trying to move the motors? Please explain exact what you are trying to do, and also post a picture of the motor page inside of MACH3 for the X axis motor. The idea is to get one working and then move to the other motors.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

If your MACH3 software is NOT licensed and it is the demo software please set the kernel speed to 25000 it will not work above that if the software is not licensed.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be looking for a high logic output to be between 4V & 5V to be sure

your 3.39V is very close to the limit depending on which version of the 7414 IC's used on your board

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    I would be looking for a high logic output to be between 4V & 5V to be sure

your 3.39V is very close to the limit depending on which version of the 7414 IC's used on your board

John
    Ok now i found 5.02 volts in some pin and 3.39 in others

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,
    John-100 apparently found the manual on this particular board set it back to the way it shows in the manual. Then you can use your multi meter to test the X axis first. How are you trying to move the motors? Please explain exact what you are trying to do, and also post a picture of the motor page inside of MACH3 for the X axis motor. The idea is to get one working and then move to the other motors.

Russ
    Cnc man Sry but what do you mean by how am trying to move the motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,

When you are in the MACH3 software how are you trying to get the motor to work? Did you go to the JOG screen and press the LEFT and RIGHT arrows to try and spin the motor or are you giving the machine G code commands? They don't just move without giving MACH3 some instructions

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cncman172
    Oh sry try two things first is i give a gcode and press cycle start when that doesnt work i press the tab key for MDI and play around with the x y z button but it doesnt work with both

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Haitem56 View Post
    Ok now i found 5.02 volts in some pin and 3.39 in others

You can't just measure between ANY pins. On the 74HC14 you have to measure between pin 7 and 14. That's where you should have 5V.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,
    I don't have the manual for your breakout board/driver but many units have an enable input that enables the drivers to move or disables them, which is normally tied to limit switches. Do you have a manual for your controller?

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,
    I don't have the manual for your breakout board/driver but many units have an enable input that enables the drivers to move or disables them, which is normally tied to limit switches. Do you have a manual for your controller?

Russ
    CNCMAN172
    The only manual i have is for configuration of port and pinstepper motor not rotating

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,

Russ
    Hey i kinda figure out why my stepper didnt rotate its was caused i think with my operating system(windows 7) some how mach3 wasnt compatible with the oprating system now the motors rotate with Windows xp but another problem my steppers are missing steps when i try to add a little resistance (my hand) on them what might be the problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Haitem56 View Post
    Hey i kinda figure out why my stepper didnt rotate its was caused i think with my operating system(windows 7) some how mach3 wasnt compatible with the oprating system now the motors rotate with Windows xp but another problem my steppers are missing steps when i try to add a little resistance (my hand) on them what might be the problem

That's a TOTALLY incorrect analysis. Mach3 is compatible with Windows 7 and also Windows 10, but Windows 7 32-bits is the last with parallel port support. If you have uninstalled Windows 7 32-bit and installed Windows XP (which is always 32-bits) and is now working then there was something else you also did, for example unplugged some, or all the cables, which may have fixed a contact issue, reinstalled your parallel port driver and so on. All that could have caused problems which are gone now, but the reason is NOT that Mach3 is not compatible with Windows 7. I have been using Mach3 with Windows 7 and am using with Windows 10, but have an external motion controller (UC300USB and UC300ETH) which I have always used between my PC and the CNC.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,
    As A_Camera shared Mach3 works just fine with Windows7. Perhaps you did not have the parallel port driver for Mach3 loaded correctly or something else. I have used Mach3 in Windows XP and Windows 7 with the parallel port with no issues. Anyway now that you have the motors turning but have little torque you probably need to check the voltage you are using with the motors and the current level of the stepper driver. Those are what control the torque of the stepper motors. What size stepper motors to you have Nema23, Nema34 ?

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haitem56,
    As A_Camera shared Mach3 works just fine with Windows7. Perhaps you did not have the parallel port driver for Mach3 loaded correctly or something else. I have used Mach3 in Windows XP and Windows 7 with the parallel port with no issues. Anyway now that you have the motors turning but have little torque you probably need to check the voltage you are using with the motors and the current level of the stepper driver. Those are what control the torque of the stepper motors. What size stepper motors to you have Nema23, Nema34 ?

Russ
    The driver is 3.5A and i was setting it to 25% which was 0.875A now i set it to 50% 1.75 A and the torque is good but am afraid it will fry something because the rated current is 1A any advice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12