6-Foot Falling-Up Robot with Steppers

Thread: 6-Foot Falling-Up Robot with Steppers

Default 6-Foot Falling-Up Robot with Steppers

Had a heck of a time dealing with stepper induced vibration. It confuses the tilt sensors making it difficult to balance the 6-foot tall robot. Aside from microstepping and using sinusoidal current control, not sure what more can be done aside from filtering the accel & gyro measurements. I think it worked out okay, but if there's more that can be done, I can use the tip.

I used the ST-M5045 stepper drivers found at Sainsmart. Stepper are KL23H276-28-4B dual-shaft 2.8A motors.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6-Foot Falling-Up Robot with Steppers

1. The linistepper provides a much smoother signal. Not perfect, but closer to a sine wave.
    2. A hocky puck on the shaft can absorb vibration.
    3. A quick running average on the sensors can extract the trend from noise.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Okay, I got the XBEE communication working with the Teensy 3.6 mcu, and able to send motion commands to the Falling-Up Robot. Able to yaw and translate the 6-foot robot while maintaining tilt stability. It's no longer tethered to the USB port and the power supply unit. See latest video below. Recommend headphones.

Downloads
    Uploads

So? How did you resolve the vibration problem?

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    So? How did you resolve the vibration problem?
    I installed rubber vibration isolators from McMaster-carr between the stepper motors and mounting brackets, and I use ST-5045 stepper drivers with sinusoidal current control and microstepping. These attenuate the vibration to tolerable levels. Originally the robot had $20 drivers without sinusoidal current control, and it shook the whole robot frame in a noisy manner. Still, even with the fixes, some panels still vibrated at certain RPMs, so I put aluminum tape over those as a damper.