Old stepper driver

Thread: Old stepper driver

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Old stepper driver

Hi everyone,

I have three stepper driver that seems quite old. It's Seledata SDM 52. 12V-42V 2.0A (here is a picture of the components : ResizeofIMG_0190_zps1d2521fe.jpg Photo by nam_cnc | Photobucket).

What is the difference between these old driver and new one?

Do you think he is good enough to be used for a small CNC?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old stepper driver-881701760_v0_2-jpg   Old stepper driver-881701760_v0_3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Old stepper driver

If you mean "should I replace it?" Probably, or at least replace those large capacitors.

If you mean "are there new drivers that will work in its place" sure... no idea what the specs are on those drivers, but modern drivers are generally fine. Just do NOT buy tb6560 or other cheap crap from China.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your answer. I don't have and can't find any documentation. But in general do you know if there is a big difference between recent driver and old one ?

Which stepper driver do you recommend. I've read a lot about these chinese driver and don't know if they are good or bad finally.

Downloads
    Uploads

The best is to try them to see how they work , maibe they work better than an china dm542 or worst , only u cant try them , is in ur hand .

Downloads
    Uploads

Older drivers tend to be Unipolar and less powerful. But more reliable (I think). Other than that, no huge differences. The one you have is bipolar... may not be that old. Here is the difference:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/connections.htm

I recommend MY stepper drivers, especially the THB6064AH kit. But it is a kit, and you have to solder it together. And it's 200 watts vs that older drivers 80 watts, so it's not a fair comparison. You could replace your old driver with a Chinese TB6600 or DM542 for less and probably be perfectly happy.

But in the end, it really depends on what you are driving. For help estimating how much driver you need, see this page:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/estimate.htm

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)