Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600

Thread: Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600

After reading up on the thread of "TB6600 drive from eBay", I was wondering what I had over here.
    Bought off of Banggood, at 7 or 8 USD I think. So being a newbie, nothing to go wrong with for first try. If it goes up in smoke, lesson learned...
    Anyhow, tested this weekend first time on the Z-axis of my Router in Progress, and works all fine.

So today decided to take it apart and check what's inside.
    1. Sure no TB6600.. But it is a Toshiba IC (if it's not a fake/copy)
    2. Found the full details: http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/a...7S109AFTG.html
    3. It seems to really be a 4A Driver, but no clue to its capabilities yet..
    4. With the little bit of testing it got hot very fast.. There was a very thick thermal-pad, then a small block of aluminium, then some heatsink past (way too much) and then the board on it.
    So that needs to change anyway. Good to open up stuff.

Some pictures and full description can be found here: TB6600 Upgraded Version 32 Segments 4A 40V 57/86 Stepper Motor Driver Sale - Banggood.com

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=332162&stc=1

Given the data-sheet, and 2 capacitors rated at 50v max, (470uF) could I give this board 45v?
    Currently running from a 36v PowerSupply.

Will put all 4 drives on a huge heatsink.. think I still have some old G5 towers at work. Those heatsinks would be perfect to use..So heat should then not be an issue.
    Just wondering about everything else for these drivers. Anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks and regards,
    Luc

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600-img_5109-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600

Some more pictures of the other side of the board:

Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600-img_5123-jpg

Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600-img_5124-jpg

Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600-img_5119-jpg

Need help: Cheap Driver Advertised as TB6600-img_5120-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

If you read the datasheet, 4 amps at 50 volts is the absolute maximum and the notes clearly indicate that is limited by temp. With the Ron as high as it is, and that tiny little heatsink connection, you would have to use water cooling to get anywhere near those ratings. The "Operation ranges" table is more honest with 3 amps and 47 volts as the max, and even that is questionable without a good heatsink.

Typical Chinese junk that is way over spec'd for what it can actually do. But for the price, I can see giving it a try. Or just using it at 1/2 to 2/3 it's stated capacity.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello James,
    Thanks a lot for your comment. At least I have some confirmation of what I suspected and can work on it...
    Next morning after my original post I read up more on the subject and figured that the manufacturer was not all that bad, in a sense, by putting a 40v Maximum operating voltage on the casing. Guess he knows it's going up in smoke with his heat-sink when going above that..

Need to tear down some old PowerMac here for some massive heatsink. Nice to have a recycling business...lol

Hope to get a few hours of running the machine out of them and then head over to longer lasting, good quality drivers. Not decided yet, but looking at leadshine digital drivers...
    Just for info, the NEMA 23's are 3 Amp, and currently on 36v PS so way within the safety margins. Just need to make a better heat-sink for it as the tiny aluminium block on top as a connection to the heatsink is just a ****ty way of doing it.
    Likely will have that changed by routing out recesses in a larger Alu-block for the soldered legs, then having the driver-IC directly on the aluminium heatsink block.
    Makes for an interesting experiment..see how far it can be driven..

Will update asap.

Thanks and regards,
    Luc

Downloads
    Uploads

Luc, I made the same purchase. 3 "Upgraded TB6600's" for about $8 ea on ebay, but they had this other chip. On Amazon, 18 people purchased the same thing and all of them gave it 5 stars. Anyways, I want to go 3 Amps and 48 Volts, so I can get more out of my Nema 23, 270oz, 3A, 3V, 3.5mH steppers. If you did the upgrade of the heat sink, would you share your experience?

Thanks,

-Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Schuimpge View Post
    Given the data-sheet, and 2 capacitors rated at 50v max, (470uF) could I give this board 45v?
    At least you got a 470uF cap. Mine was 330uf. I have a little project with these boards that removes those janky connectors that wires always fall out of for me. Few other mods we'll see how it goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

I too have a couple of these drives, and they work well at 36 - 40V on 3Amp motors without overheating.
    I would love to know your solution to replacing the unreliable screw connections, before I install them on my mill. Right now, I have only bench tested them.
    Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by millhead View Post
    I too have a couple of these drives, and they work well at 36 - 40V on 3Amp motors without overheating.
    I would love to know your solution to replacing the unreliable screw connections, before I install them on my mill. Right now, I have only bench tested them.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schuimpge View Post
    After reading up on the thread of "TB6600 drive from eBay", I was wondering what I had over here.
    Bought off of Banggood, at 7 or 8 USD I think. So being a newbie, nothing to go wrong with for first try. If it goes up in smoke, lesson learned...
    Anyhow, tested this weekend first time on the Z-axis of my Router in Progress, and works all fine.

So today decided to take it apart and check what's inside.
    1. Sure no TB6600.. But it is a Toshiba IC (if it's not a fake/copy)
    2. Found the full details: TB67S109AFTG | Motor Drivers | TOSHIBA Storage & Electronic Devices Solutions Company | Asia-Pacific
    3. It seems to really be a 4A Driver, but no clue to its capabilities yet..
    4. With the little bit of testing it got hot very fast.. There was a very thick thermal-pad, then a small block of aluminium, then some heatsink past (way too much) and then the board on it.
    So that needs to change anyway. Good to open up stuff.

Some pictures and full description can be found here: TB6600 Upgraded Version 32 Segments 4A 40V 57/86 Stepper Motor Driver Sale - Banggood.com

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=332162&stc=1

Will put all 4 drives on a huge heatsink.. think I still have some old G5 towers at work. Those heatsinks would be perfect to use..So heat should then not be an issue.
    Just wondering about everything else for these drivers. Anybody have any experience with these?

Thanks and regards,
    Luc
    Hi. I bought a similar driver and interfaced it to a NEMA34 motor. There is one problem I am facing. The maximum current the driver seems to draw from the power supply is 1.2 amps approx around which point the motor starts slipping. Any suggestions on how make the driver input 4 amps as it is advertised for ?

Downloads
    Uploads

A stepper driver will never draw the same current as the output to the motor. It will always be lower. Here is what one driver manufacturer says about this:

Since the input voltage to the driver can be significantly higher than the coil voltage, the measured current on the power supply can be quite a bit lower than the coil current (the driver and coil basically act like a switching step-down power supply). Also, if the supply voltage is very high compared to what the motor needs to achieve the set current, the duty cycle will be very low, which also leads to significant differences between average and RMS currents.