Control electronics choice help

Thread: Control electronics choice help

Default Control electronics choice help

Hello cnc people.

My head is a-splode, about to anyway.
    Need advice on electronics needed to run motors on JGRO.
    I have ordered all needed parts for frame/table build, but now need to sort out electronics to run it all.
    Looked thru things here and my head is about to explode. Reminds me of the time i got into RC, too much choice.

I'm diy oriented and budget driven (in other words cheap ) do dont mind wave soldering iron need be.
    Can i get complete electronics (sans motors) for under 100gbp ? Preferably ebay/cheap place ? Drivers/controllers.
    Also strong believer in futureproofing, so mostly looking with something more than your basic capability, leave some space for expansion, ability to run bigger motors etc.

I have some 4ph 57BYG007-01 motors for starters, but i was assured its not gonna be quite good enough for cnc. Planning to go ahead anyway to get basics right then upgrade motors.

I really need a nudge in right direction here.

Please help.

I'm UK based.

P.S. See what electronics can i fish out of the old plotter i have here...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Control electronics choice help

Cheapest would be a arduino grbl setup with cnc shield v3 clone. About $30 on eBay and should handle those motors fine as the amps on those motors is small.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Nah, wont be going into arduinoland...

What about kits like this ?

3 Axis 3A Stepper Controller Cnc Kit Nema23 24V Psu For Milling Machine | eBay

Whats the general sentiment ? Good(ish?), workable or crap ? There are a lot of controllers like these about on ebay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably hit and miss on that. Worth a try. You still need a controller like linuxcnc or Mach 3 or grbl (though that unit would be a little easier for the first 2).

Its not a controller, it's a break out board coupled with some cheap drivers.

Still could use with arduino which would replace the Mach 3 option.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

HobbyCNC.com + LinuxCNC.com

WoodWorkerB
    WoodWorkerB.com

Downloads
    Uploads

That ebay link is to a 6560 based driver. That chip is not designed for this environment and will fry on power up randomly. Please read up on here about those drivers. They are bad.

The grbl CNC shield will be very under powered, but it's a good starting point and you can replace the drivers with something more powerful later... like my thb6064ah driver :cough: see the link in my signature.

Hobby CNC isn't bad either.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)