Newbie first CNC

Thread: first CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default first CNC

Hy

I'm inthe planing of my first CNC and would needsome previous knowledge feedback.
    -Proxxon MF70
    -upgrade GE70 long table
    -upgrade GE70 long base
    -upgrade GE70 long spidnles
    -brackets from the bubblegum MF70 kit with all 6end switches
    - 3xNEMA17 40-65Ncm
    -(maybe) ER11 with collets
    -brushless 12V 5kV motor for ~50kRPM @12V 150-300W

The use will be for PCB milling and on some resin,plexi, aluminium and other softmaterials.
    The data for the used mill will be
    - max 50kRPM spindle with PWM control
    - 1rev=1mm travel
    - max500mm/min on X or Y
    - max250mm/min on Z
    - table280x70mm, travel ~200x75mm
    - 200step/rev
    - current ~6A total on all 3motors

Now the question.
    - I read most topics regarding micro stepping and that it lowers noise/jerkiness at low revolutions of the motor, but it lowers also the holding torque. At higher the micro steps and not required and also lower the driving torque of the motor. So the question: what is the most good micro step setting on the driver to be in the middle (torque/noise)
    - about drivers there a lot topics, I managed to get the info that TB6560 china kits are to stay away as to low torque regardless the specs, possible bad planing with future blowouts, missed steps at high feed ... Similar with DIV268N (TB6600 -bad construction with cooling, circuits specs, low torque, ..). Gecko is good,but the prices is not what I can afford. PlanetCNC is expensive taking all inconsideration, plus the cost f the license. What about the others (DQ542MA,M542, 2M542,DQ542A, ST-M5045...)? I was looking on this 3axis onehttp://i.ebayimg.com/t/Professional-G-Code-Aufnahme-Funktion-3-Achse-CNC-TB6600HG-Steuerung-Mit-Gehaeuse-/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/I-kAAOSw~bFWOdmn/$_12.JPGfor which I was assured that it doesn't have the problems as the DIV268. I like the compact design, allows work with PC, 1 month to return with full refund ifnot satisfied. Did anyone had this and tested it? Of is there a other unit which is cost effective to run a NEMA17 or 23, micro steps, some functions for protection of the driver board, current around 3.5A.
    - similar question with the controller. which is cost effective to drive with still good micro stepping without lost steps, with DB25 or USB connection to MACH3. Something with 4 axis and spindle control (PWM or relay)?
    - where to buy NEMA17 motors 40-65Ncm for still some quality at normal price?
    - In the case I will need it, is there a USB to DB25 which if effective at a normal cost? Something like the HyCNC-4P, but I rather ask.

The controller and driver I would like to get something for long that I could then reuse if I get a bigger miller and put some NEMA23 at 3A

Last edited by vlakci; 11-24-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: first CNC

I would avoid the TB6600's. Some people have good luck with them, but they are noisy and vibrate a lot. I would recommend the THB6064AH drivers. (I have a bias, but still...). If you have money, buy a GeckDrive. If you can solder buy my THB6064AH kit. As long as you DO NOT buy the TB6560, you won't go far wrong.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'd avoid the tb drivers, not going to go into detail but they are awful. Planet cnc you are right, completely overpriced and specs are questionable.

If you look to use with 23's then I'd recommend cw5045's, they are chopper type hexfet mosfets not nforce which run hot and rated current settings have tested as repeatable current not peak current like the tb/Sanyo drivers, and good value for money. Also have metric and imperial microstepping which is nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    I would avoid the TB6600's. Some people have good luck with them, but they are noisy and vibrate a lot. I would recommend the THB6064AH drivers. (I have a bias, but still...). If you have money, buy a GeckDrive. If you can solder buy my THB6064AH kit. As long as you DO NOT buy the TB6560, you won't go far wrong.
    Thb is still a toshiba chip if your lucky and don't get a counterfeit one that makes up a good percentage of that market. I don't have any experience with this driver but I can't imagine a hot running sinsunodal chip will perform as well as a cool running mosfet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you explain regarding PlanetCNC? Why are specs questionable?

Downloads
    Uploads

In my experience, the Sanken 7078MPR chips are robust and reliable.

WoodWorkerB
    WoodWorkerB.com