4.5A THB6064AH Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver Review - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.5A THB6064AH Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver Review

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4.5A THB6064AH Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver Review

Those 3 resistors from what I see are current limiting resistors for the optocoupler diode. They should be set to provide 5-10mA depending on the voltage you connect to +5V terminal. I use Chinese breakout board you can see on the video and have used 5V onboard source and I have no problem. Where did you measure floating voltage (it should be depended of input voltage you connect to common + terminal). For - signal (EN, DIR, STEP) you should be using open drain output with no pull up and you should be fine. Strong pull-up can provide unwanted current for optocoupler diode and cause it to lock up in conducting state.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am reading this again and I have feeling that you misunderstood how input works. The input uses 5V power on +5V terminal. Other terminals are 0V driven NOT LOGIC HIGH. Driver expects logic low pulses (connecting to GND) and floating (connecting to nothing) as idle. Did you connect it like this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tinky1233 View Post
    I am reading this again and I have feeling that you misunderstood how input works. The input uses 5V power on +5V terminal. Other terminals are 0V driven NOT LOGIC HIGH. Driver expects logic low pulses (connecting to GND) and floating (connecting to nothing) as idle. Did you connect it like this?
    I'm pretty sure I understand how this should work. A logic level Vin draws current from the +5, through the optodiode, through the resistor to Vin. The current through the optodiode should be 5mA to turn it on. The problem with the design is that the VinHigh of my parallel port is only 3.3V which causes enough current to turn the optodiode on. (Even more current when my VinLow goes low (0.8V), so with the optodiode never shuts off.

I could take a look at the design and try using 3.3V instead of 5V, but the resistor change is working.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You didn't have to change anything on the stepper board, the design is fine and 300Ohm value is ok for 5V optodiote. You should make an open drain (or open Colector) output, and you should be fine. I am using cheap chinese breakout and it works fine.

You can make open drain output with simple mosfet, or open colector with general purpose NPN and 4.7K resistor, it should solve all problems and no board modification is necessary, here is drawing:
    4.5A THB6064AH Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver Review-open_drain-jpg

You need to invert output after this modification!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You didn't have to change anything on the stepper board, the design is fine and 300Ohm value is ok for 5V optodiote. You should make an open drain (or open Colector) output, and you should be fine. I am using cheap chinese breakout and it works fine.

You can make open drain output with simple mosfet, or open colector with general purpose NPN and 4.7K resistor, it should solve all problems and no board modification is necessary, here is drawing:
    4.5A THB6064AH Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver Review-open_drain-jpg

You need to invert output after this modification!
    My preference is to modify the driver to be TTL compatible so it works with my parallel port or BBB without adding another circuit board. I agree your method would also work.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jtrantow View Post
    I'm pretty sure I understand how this should work. A logic level Vin draws current from the +5, through the optodiode, through the resistor to Vin. The current through the optodiode should be 5mA to turn it on. The problem with the design is that the VinHigh of my parallel port is only 3.3V which causes enough current to turn the optodiode on. (Even more current when my VinLow goes low (0.8V), so with the optodiode never shuts off.

I could take a look at the design and try using 3.3V instead of 5V, but the resistor change is working.
    I am curious why the breakout board's open circuit output high level is only 3.3v. The cheap non-isolated boards typically use 74hc gates to buffer the signal. The power supply is 5v, from a usb cable.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After a month of light usage, I can say I am really happy with the 6064 driver, and I have ordered 2 more for x and y axis. TB6560 drivers are so much inferior and built like Chinese crap compared to THB6064AH. I will do some more hard work once new drivers arrive, and report how it goes.

can you share link of which supplier you bought it from.. i was searching on Ali express and came u with this link

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...999.278.uECT4r

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm........it seems people will still try to save a dime and spend a dollar despite what the critics have pointed out.

The Massmind kits for the 6064 are selling for $35 (DIY) and the Aliexpress go for US$28....already built .....my money would be on the Massminds kit offer as it appears from the write up on another thread that they use better components.

This decision is now after my having bought a couple of the 6066 efforts a year or so ago.....not used etc.......long story.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem with buying from China is you never know what you are going to get. One time it will work, the next it will fail, the next it will sort of work. No consistency. Here is a good example:

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, thanks for the vid.....I previously saw it on the Massminds.org site.....this revelation tipped me over the edge to place an order for some kits......now maybe I'll revive the steel tube router build I started some time ago.

I was quite amazed at the lack of holding torque with the cheap 6064 import.......it seems even with a good product the Chinese manufacturers just have to cut corners and spoil the ship for a hapoth of tar etc.

I already have a CNC mill and I'm quite aware of the amount of force you need to apply to make the stepper turn once it's powered up.

I don't know if it's possible but the boxes that the TB6600 I previously bought came in might suffice for the kit build when I complete them ........the innards will get sold off or given away.....whatever.
    Ian.

Last edited by handlewanker; 08-30-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I just had a look in the garage to see what I bought some time back and the drivers turned out to be M542 types not the TB6600 as I thought......so much for putting things away in the backs of cupboards etc.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I am new to the CNC world and assembled an OX CNC with Nema23 motors which were, as I thought hard to the A4988 drivers on CNC shield and Arduino UNO to handle. as I am in the middle east and it will be expensive to buy from the US, so I bought these Chinese drivers from AliExpress, but to be frank, I don't know how to connect them to the Arduino shield. I know that I need to connect the DIR and STEP pins, but there are PP, PM, DP, DM, EP, and EM. And there is no 5v connection
    I don't know what to connect with the shield.. PP should be the pulse, DP, the DIR, what about the Ms, are they GND, and do I have to connect the Es somewhere?
    thanks for the help

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.5A THB6064AH Single Axis Stepper Motor Driver Review-whatsapp-image-2017-09-12-5-08-a  
    Last edited by Khomouda; 09-12-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: to add a photo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12