Need Help! Selecting a driver old stepper

Thread: Selecting a driver old stepper

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Selecting a driver old stepper

So i have a old cnc mill i am restoring and i found the stats on the motor but i have almost no cnc experience and almost no money ha. anyways the picture has the stats of the motors (3) and i need a driver for them i was considering these drivers: Leadshine nd118 digital stepper motor driver. Would this driver work? But can somebody recommend a driver if this one is not applicable or maybe a bit cheaper although i do want something of quality as this mill may start small batch of personal items. I appreciate any help and ill go ahead and thankyou in advance thankyou.
    Selecting a driver old stepper-photo-34-jpg Selecting a driver old stepper-photo-37-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Selecting a driver old stepper

hey can anybody help?

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't answer all of your questions, but from some quick google searches it looks like:

- your motor has six wires, and it was probably intended to be used with a unipolar stepper driver

- the Leadshine ND118 appears to be a bipolar stepper driver which is intended to be used with four-wire motors

- there are ways to use a 6-wire motor with a 4-wire driver, although it may not be optimal to hook it up that way

- the motor's rated winding current may be 9.2A whereas the driver apparently has a peak rating of less than that (8.2A). Operating a motor with less than the rated current may result in reduced torque. Whether or not that would be an important factor for you, I couldn't say.

- I have no information about high-current unipolar drivers that may be suitable for use with that motor - have you considered contacting Superior Electric for a recommendation?

Downloads
    Uploads

i did try to contact superior electric but i sorta got the run around and they were like contact one of our distibutors. I do relize the amperage below but that is the highest i have found so far. So i have considered new motors but i have also considered testing the old motors with the new drive and if the torque is not enough i will probably buy new motors. So thats my situation i was just hoping someone would know of maybe an older the drive which would function.

Downloads
    Uploads

hey could anybody help me with the setup also? Also does anybody know about long motor as the advertise a drive rated for 9.8 amps which would allow my motors to run at full power. This is a link to the driver NEMA 34 42 Stepper Motor Driver DM2722A 110 230VAC Peak 9 8A 200MICSTEPS | eBay I dont understand this stuff and as much as i read i still dont understand how to wire the motors and not burn them out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can't give advice on Longs Motor or that driver.

But as for hooking up your motor, you need to first figure out which three wires represent one winding - the remaining three wires represent the other winding.

Then, for each winding, determine which wire is the "center tap" wire. You would use the resistance setting of a multimeter to do both of those things.

Once you have done that, you can wire up two of the three wires from each winding in either a "full coil hookup" or a "half coil hookup", to connect the motor to the driver - see the stepper motor basics document at https://www.geckodrive.com/app-notes.html, especially Figure 9 and Figure 10, for details on wiring up the motor.

If you are not comfortable enough with electronics to make sense of that document, do you have someone nearby who does have the electronics background to help you?

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not that I'm that uncomfortable it's just I really do not want to screw something up as I am already on a tight budget. But as far as drivers I found yet another that would suite my needs centent cno162 drive. Which is rated for a peak of ten amps and is American made so it works well for me. But will it actually work well I don't know as they are old drives.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

checking back to see if you ever did find a drive that works well with this motor.... I'm in a very similar situation myself...
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up with some dc kelling servos 1100oz with gecko drive and I also have a set of bridgeport servos with dgs2 drives

But currently I'm stationed in 29 palms and those projects have halted.