Raiding photocopiers for steppers - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Raiding photocopiers for steppers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

KrashKing,

That last motor picture looks to be a 20 volt PM DC gearmotor by Toshiba with a tach or an encoder on the back end.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff View Post
    KrashKing,

That last motor picture looks to be a 20 volt PM DC gearmotor by Toshiba with a tach or an encoder on the back end.

Those last 3 all look almost the same, only difference was the first one had the sticker on the end instead of the side. Also while sifting through the stuff I kept, I found another small stepper. Could I use the brushless motors as servos?

Last edited by KrashKing405; 12-18-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi

Nice thread this one , thats what forums are all about sharing information

I have stripped a few large copiers also

will post some pics on the motors i found in the photocopier

cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KrashKing405 View Post
    Could I use the brushless motors as servos?
    Those brushless motors wouldn't make very good servos, not very much torque. If you would want them as servos first you would have to reverse engineer the circuitry to get the motor to reverse and then adapt an encoder wheel to it. If you wanted more torque then the armature would have to be rewound with larger wire and upgrade the electronics to handle more current.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They should have encoders, I know for sure one was used to move the scanning head.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi

" Stepper Motors and Drives Discuss stepper motors, drivers and related topics here. "

Everyone or 95% of the people that come in here seems are doing some form of a cnc project

Has anyone looked into possible making stepper or servo motors from ground up

Everyone is making some nice machinery , i have seen some amzing trick machine work people have done in here , how complicated could it be to make a stepper and or servo motor with all the knowledgeable people in here ???

cheers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-inside_steppermotor1-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-inside_steppermotor2-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is another thread about making servo motors here http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29029. I wonder if I should take the ones apart that I have to see if there is an encoder.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most encoders that I come across on servos are attached to the motors shaft under a plastic cover mounted on the end of the motor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The covers on these are metel. I may try to remove them here in the next day or so to see what is under them, maybe find some more info about the motors themselves.

Well, I took the cover off one, it apears the encoder uses a hall effect switch to detect amount of movement. There is a metal disc attatched to a short shaft that has a ring magnet under it, with a small circuit board under that. The board has 4 wires, one labled + one labled -, one that grounds to a screw hole, and one that has no lable on it. The board has EPG007 screen printed on it, that is all. I'll grab a pic of both sides later on, try to determin what the IC is on the board.

Last edited by KrashKing405; 01-07-2007 at 09:33 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone come across 2.0 deg steppers. A friend found some large (at least nema 34) steppers in an old printer. I figure they can work , its just a matter of adjusting the steps per unit.

Full Step 180 steps instead of 200
    Half step 360 steps instead of 400
    Quarter step 720 steps instead of 800

And so on.

Will get a pic and post it.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I find 7,0 deg stepper.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a few stepper motors my self. Thay came from one coppier. But dont know if thay are the right kind. Which coppiers should I look to extract the steppers and the controler boards for to make a 2 or 3 axis home cnc with close precision?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toneV8 View Post
    I find 7,0 deg stepper.
    I would avoid 7.0 deg steppers, the angle is too large.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
    I have a few stepper motors my self. Thay came from one coppier. But dont know if thay are the right kind. Which coppiers should I look to extract the steppers and the controler boards for to make a 2 or 3 axis home cnc with close precision?
    Any of the large copiers will normally carry steppers. Post a pic so we can see
    what we are dealing with.
    Take the boards just in case.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile copiers

OK guys, I can offer some info. I have been dismantling copy machines for about 2 years and they are really a goldmine of parts.
    Stepper motors are usually in the document feeder (on top of the machine) or in the sorter unit (usually on the left side of the machine). There are smaller steppers inside the machine, usually a 5-phase stepper for moving the carriage in the scanner (sometimes servo or brushless motors here). The main drive motors are almost always brushless dc motors, but don't discount these either. If you turn these they will generate dc electricity if they are enclosed motors, or if they are the type with the circuit board and rotor exposed, you can take them apart and make a 3-phase generator by putting 6 diodes in the wye wired output for dc. Put a prop on this and light some lights or charge some batteries. On some machines, there are very nice s/s rods that make great ways for building a cnc machine (in the scanner unit). Lots of bearings and small shafts, power supplies, etc. And when you are finished tearing the machine apart, you are left with a nice roll around table or tray with good casters on it to slide all the stuff under your workbench. Have fun and collect those copier parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently found some motors in an HP DesignJet 600 plotter.
    They are marked as follows:

Buehler, Raleigh, N.C., USA
    3140-0907
    1.13.043.219-7 A
    DC 19.1V 31/2

There were only two, one apperes to have some sort of an encoder on one end the other dosen't, any clues?

A.J.L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Limit switches

Inspired by all your adventures with stripping copiers, I recently brought home a Canon copier measuring ~24"X18"X18" and proceeded to strip it down. I picked out 2 steppers, a load of limit switches, and all the boards. The main board had no fewer than 5 transformers on it. Haven't had the time to sort through the mess. The steppers appear to be in the >50oz/in range. Searched all over and could not find any specs on em other than a supplier website that identified the model number on the moter as a stepper (figured it had to be with 6 wires).

Has anyone used any of the limit switches out of copiers for a DIY machine? It looks like it would be be easy and cheap alternative to purchased ones. These have three leads to each sensor and appear to have a guilotine action (a piece of plastic moves in and out of two posts).

Can post pictures if desired.

BMG

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They are called photo interrupters.

Jay

Downloads
    Uploads

Those are photosensors. If you put +5v on one side and ground on the other side, the center pin will go high until interrupted by something passing between the horseshoe that stops the IR beam from getting to the IR sensor on the other side. Very nice and fairly trouble free if you are using ttl logic.
    Sorry, I don't remember which side gets the ground wire so you'll have to try one and maybe burn it up, but what the he**, they are free.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Harold, Thanks for the heads up on how to use the photosensors. I got at least 8 sensors, so I reckon I could burn one up.

I am building a Lionclaw CNC Router kit and can see these sensors fitting in nicely with the limit switching. All I would need to do is mount these on fixed surfaces and mount the "blade" on a moving surface. I reckon I will need to avoid open locations where cuttings might get flung into the sensor.

Brian G.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast