Raiding photocopiers for steppers - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Raiding photocopiers for steppers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting. Do you have any guidlines on the approximate year the major vendors started switching to steppers? Most of the machines I have seen recently being scrapped are about 10 - 12 years old. Any guidelines for when the sales folks would start steering customers towards replacing instead of repairing?

Brian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A good copier dealer will replace a machine every 3 to 5 years. The machines are usually sold on a lease. After that 3 to 5 years the problems start. Of course you have the dealer that keeps supporting older machines, they just don't understand how much they spend on labor and parts. Copiers are almost always under a maintenance contract and the dealer only sees that maintenance check coming in, not the time and parts going out. These are the guys that end up going out of business.

Anyway, enough of that. I can't speak for every manufacturer but about 5 years ago is when the steppers really started being used.

As far as the laser in a copier, don't think they would even make a good pointer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Xerox XDL33D Photocopier with ADF

Here are some shots of a Xerox XDL33D photocopier equipped with an ADF. The ADF has two stepper motors, a small one on the left side and a larger motor on the right. The chassis contains 3 visible stepper motors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-front-png   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-adf-png   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-adf-big-stepper-png   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-chassis-stepper1-png  

Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-chassis-stepper2-png   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-chassis-stepper3-png  
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kyocera-Mita FS-8000C Color Printer

Here's some pics of the stepper motor and driver board in a Kyocera-Mita FS-8000C color printer. The pictures don't show the physical size of the NEMA23 stepper motor but it appears to be approx. 2 1/2" in height.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-kyocera-mita-fs-8000c-png   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-kyocera-mita-fs-8000c-stepper-driver-board   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-kyocera-mita-fs-8000c-stepper-driver-board  
    HayTay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good Harry, at that rate you will soon have a boatload of steppers.

Here is a pic of a servo with what looks like a gear reduction. Not sure of the brand copier I took it from.

Jason

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-servo-reduction-jpg  
    Last edited by Jason Marsha; 09-10-2006 at 06:56 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a bit confused, whats the difference btwn. a stepper motor and a servo?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    Here are some shots of a Xerox XDL33D photocopier equipped with an ADF. The ADF has two stepper motors, a small one on the left side and a larger motor on the right. The chassis contains 3 visible stepper motors.

Does it possible to use this steppers on pic for cnc mill. Does it have enough torque for milling wood, plastic maybe aluminium. How much stepper have amps does it writes 3,35A.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-xerox-xdl33d-adf-big-stepper-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toneV8
    Does it possible to use this steppers on pic for cnc mill. Does it have enough torque for milling wood, plastic maybe aluminium.
    The quick answer is, YES, "it is possible to use this steppers on pic for cnc mill." The real answer is, IT DEPENDS. It depends on what you're trying to move, how quickly you're trying to move it, and how much it weighs. I'm using 100 oz-in steppers on my JGRO CNC router with 1/4"-20 threaded rod to move a gantry with an approx. 6.5 lb. router attached. The results are more than satisfactory for this type of CNC Router. The large stepper motor you're referring to in the picture is rated at 180 oz-in per the specifications from Sanyo Denki (see abbreviated screen capture below).

How much stepper have amps does it writes 3,35A.
    ??? Please rephrase the question. ???

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-sanyo-denki-103h7126-xxxx-png  
    HayTay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post

How much stepper have amps does it writes 3,35A.
    ??? Please rephrase the question. ???
    On pic that I attach does it 3,35A stepper motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toneV8 View Post
    On pic that I attach does it 3,35A stepper motor.
    Sorry for the delay, I kept forgetting to take a look at the label on the motor.

YES, the stepper motor is rated at DC 3.35A.

HayTay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to add to this. Yesterday I found at the landfill a Fujitsu DL5600 printer and since it was fairly heavy I grabbed it. There are 2 Astrosyn steppers in it with both 40 volts and 1 5.1 VA and the other 7.2 VA. Both are type 23.
    Thought I would mention this also and if I am out of line for mentioning it, sorry.
    John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HayTay: can this type of machine on pic with 3A stepper motors machining aluminium.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-61_3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ajl6549 View Post
    I'm a bit confused, whats the difference btwn. a stepper motor and a servo?
    Never mind I got the answer from another thread.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HayTay:

I just now buy 5 stepper motors.

SANYO DENKI
    3,25A
    1,8° DEG
    type 103H7124-1041

Can I use this motors for milling wood, plastic.........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

dont discount canon copiers if you do rob the steppers of them then also look for the motor driver board as these will contain all the drive chips, i noticed someone had a canon 4050, theres a lovely little power supply, from memory ilooking at the back of the machine its on the right hand side 1/2 way up this makes a good workshop power supply giving 24v,12,v -12v and 5 volts , also canon use 3 wire photo interupters everywhere, these come in 24v 12v and 5v flavours also positive or negative trigger basically you have a + and 0v and an output very useful,if you can find som early finishers there are some nice big steppers in there

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I raided a big Canon copier, can't find a thing on the steppers, and other motors I found. Anyone got a place to look?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post a pic of the motors or indicate what brand and relevant info.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the major parts I got. I couldn't get one of them to focus right. Last 3 are brushless motors.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raiding photocopiers for steppers-parts-002-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-parts-004-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-parts-005-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-parts-007-jpg  

Raiding photocopiers for steppers-parts-008-jpg   Raiding photocopiers for steppers-parts-009-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! I never realised that photocopiers are such a goldmine. I've gotta keep my eyes open for them from now on. I already know of one in work thats on its last legs....has been for quite a while though....anyway, fingers crossed!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of the steppers and motors found in copiers are OEM. They are made specifically for the brand of copier. Some of them do come very close to commercially available ones. Sometimes it's a longer shaft, different mounting arrangement and so on. The first set of numbers or letters sometimes match up with the commercially available ones and the last set will be different indicating the motors difference.

If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast