Toshiba TB6600 - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba TB6600

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, that makes sense. The Rattm's run led stayed on at idle, so no idle reduction. I recall the Rattm Vref was ~2.1V with the current pot set to a guess of 3.5A. 2.1 / (3*.227) = 3.1A, so that explains at least part of why it ran cooler.

David Malicky

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

To enable idle reduction from Mach, try this. Go to Config---Ports and Pins---Motor Outputs. Change DirLowActive to the opposite of what it is currently set to.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would one of the electronics experts on this thread compare the two stepper drivers below and tell me which is better and why. I am in the process of upgrading my CNC controller to discrete components.

Thanks

THB6064AH MassMind.org

CNC THB6064AH Two 2 Axis 64 Micro-step 4A Stepper Motor Driver MACH3 No Heat #A559A on eBay.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm biased because I sell the massmind kit. But...

The ebay item is better because it's less expensive, already assembled, comes with the heat sink and opto-isolation.

The ebay item is worse because it's totally undocumented, will have NO support after the 7 day feedback limit (and won't arrive until after that limit has passed), is poorly made and is difficult to repair.

The Massmind item is better because it's better engineered, comes with higher quality components, is well supported and easy to repair (since you build it from a kit).

The MassMind item is worse because you have to build it, it's a bit more expensive, doesn't have opto-isolation, and you have to supply the heat sink.

But you know why you should buy the kit from me, really? Because here I am. I saw and posted an honest answer on your thread within a day. Ask china a question and see what you get. I can show you videos of machine running from my driver, built by people just like you. Ask them if you should buy one or not; ask them if I took care of them. Ask any of the thousands of people who bought a cheap TB6560 driver from china and then come here whining for help when the seller wouldn't return their emails and the board fried and they don't know how to repair it.

Did I mention I was biased? ,o)

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I'm biased too :-)

But there are 2 things that stand out just by looking at the chinese drive:
    - First the "no heat" is not true, there's no way you can seriously reduce the power dissipation of the chip, It will be 3.2W minimum @ 4A for each chip and thus 6.4W minimal for the 2.
    What they refer to is the on board 5V regulator wich is a switched one iso of a linear, this is how they mention it in poor english: "The drive uses two antihypertensive treatment, with the same DC module buck, almost no heat". There is some heat from a linear regulator like the one I use but this is peanuts compared to the heat from the chips.
    (Sidenote from Google: Antihypertensives are a class of drugs that are used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).)

- Look at the very small (and poor quality 85°C) filter capacitors and compare these with the ones on our boards, ours are high quality Panasonic 105°C low esr ones. Good capacitors are expensive and it's the easiest part to reduce the price and thus reduce the lifetime of the drive by a factor 3 or 4. This can be proved by comparing datasheets with ESR and allowed ripple current.

There's probably more that I can't see. Testpoints to adjust the motor current correctly is one.

Bottom line: Choice is yours: quality with 'lifetime' support or cheap and...

James and I have sold hundreds of drive kits with only a few minor issues wich have been solved promptly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just read the TB6600 data sheet and notice that max current to sink at Alert and MO pins is 1ma. Then I looked at the Haoyu circuit that lucas posted and they are lighting a LED with 8ma. I assume to save a transistor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha! So you get ONE error, and then the LED fries the error output and you never /see/ another error, your motors just don't spin. Funny. Luc and I use a larger resistor so the LED will be dimmer, but the output won't blow and provide an option for a transistor if you want a brighter display.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have looked at the TB6600 datasheet to determine the max current that can be sourced by Vreg. without success. Has anyone found this out? The Haoyu schematic if done right should draw 15ma or so and seems not to be unreasonable. By done right I mean transistor for the Alert led.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 100% idle holding torque

Hello! I have also two questions.
    1. I used cheep chines TB6560AHQ driver before it burned out. It had small idle holding torque. So ~175oz/in motor will lift 1 kg up (on 8cm wide shaft), but later this 1 kg will fall back. It looked like it had only 20% of normal torque when stopped. I could easily force it in back direction with 2 fingers. I guess it helped to burn my old drive Is this small idle holding torque to be the same on TB6600? Can I do something with that? I need full idle holding torque for max 20 seconds. 10 sec for spin. Then very ofren I will not use the drive for few minutes at all. I write my own arduino code so it's no problem to use any enable pins as much I will need.

2. My motor needs 2.8A current. Some drives give only possible 2.5A and 3 or 3.5A. Is it ok to give more current if I will disable motor for few minutes after 20-30 sec. work? Or 2.5A is ok? Is it better to buy drive with no step current regulator?

3. I see allot of new drives with TB6600. Any ideas which is better for single axis TB6600 - GoodLuckBuy.com

Thank's for any advice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I see that 3-d pin of TB6600 is Torque (output current) setting input pin. Does it mean that I can unsolder it from driver pcb to get 100% of idle holding torque? I do not see any switches for that on chinese drivers. My budget is limited to this drivers and I don't think I'd like to solder these drivers myself. I am have no experience for that .

Thank's for any help.

Downloads
    Uploads

You set the current with the vRef. The idle reduction is used when the motors aren't moving to reduce heating.

Soldering isn't that bad. See my videos:

You can start soldering on the break out board (which only costs $8) and replace it if it goes horribly wrong. But it just isn't that hard. Even a half blind old guy like me can do it. My 13 year old kid soldered one up and I swear on my mothers honor I did not help him.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question holding torque.

Thanks for reply James Newton!
    As I understand current reduction mean that it's easier to push/pull shaft of the motor. So motor runs at full current and can lift 10 kg weight, then it automaticly switch to 30% of current and shaft is not able any more to hold the weight it lifted, so shaft moves back creating huge back emf with risk of board death

If I start with prebuild driver how can I disable current reduction? Any way to avoid situation using arduino?

Or I need stronger motor? Here is a photo of part of my device with 57bygh56 -401A motor. Is it possible it's too hard to lift 1 kg weight for it? Gears are 120mm, shaft is 30 mm.
    Even with no microstepping it was not so easy going..
    Speed is 90 RPM, acceleration to full speed in 0.5 sec. Immediate stop.
    Toshiba TB6600-screen3-png*

Thank's for any help.

Downloads
    Uploads

With the driver Luc designed, the current reduction is an external circuit. If you just don't populate those components, you get full power all the time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by James Newton View Post
    With the driver Luc designed, the current reduction is an external circuit. If you just don't populate those components, you get full power all the time.
    You're the best sellers and still forcing too much )) I just need advice at questions I asked. Are there any good people at this planet? Helping me it's just few inputs from keyboard. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your application can lift but not hold the weight?

The idle current reduction on the TB6600 can be eliminated by removing the torque pin from the PCB and connect a 10K resistor from that pin to the +5V.
    Torque input must be at high level for full current.
    With a schematic there might be other easier ways to do it like simply removing a component.
    The above is only valid if the drive uses the torque input, it's possible to design a drive with an adjustable current reduction wich worls on the VREF input.

Choose a drive with a trimmer to adjust the motor current iso switches, this will allow you to match the current with your motor.

Open source CNC electronics and accessories:
    http://home.scarlet.be/ldt006/THB6064AH.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much lucas! I will buy driver and try to find what to disassamble ))
    By "torque pin" you mean pin 3? and by "torque input" pin 5? So if I give 5v to pin 5 i get 100% holding and running torque, 2.5v - 50% of that?

Last edited by yurkomik; 06-28-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yurkomik View Post
    You're the best sellers and still forcing too much )) I just need advice at questions I asked. Are there any good people at this planet? Helping me it's just few inputs from keyboard. Thanks.
    Wow. I'm sorry, but I have NO idea how my answer failed to address your question. Or what "forcing" means, or why you think I'm not a good person. ,o)

As Luc said, if you don't want torque reduction, don't connect the torque pin to the torque reduction circuit. I believe that pin is internally pulled up, so the 10K resistor to +5 shouldn't be required, but Luc would know better than I. If he says you need it, you do. But there is certainly no need to clip the pin... or to airwire a resistor. On the PCB (the version Luc made for me anyway, I believe it's the same on Luc's version), the torque pin goes to the + side of C9 and +5 power is available at the far side of Q1. Simply don't populate Q1 and C9 (or R5) then install the 10K resistor between +C9 and the collector of Q1. That is: The square pad of C9 and the pad of Q1 farthest from C9. This will be much easier than trying to solder a resistor to a pin in the air and will have the same effect.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you James Newton I knew you're a good person. I am just new to electronics so sorry for so easy questions for you ))
    I will try do cut the line to pin 3 and if needed to add the resisor. I will write you about results.
    Thanks again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Haoyu TB6600 Driver

I received my drivers and checked the schematic posted in this thread. I have redone the schematic with designations matching the board. As noted before the WARN LED circuit is not correct. Further I have found that two of the unused inverters have been left floating. So there may be noise problems on the board.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toshiba TB6600-haoyu_tb6600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to be clear, the drivers that rinthesun received are NOT from Luc or I. Had he ordered from us, the errors he notes would not have been there, and the drive would work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast