Bipolar to Unipolar

Thread: Bipolar to Unipolar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bipolar to Unipolar

I am a total newbie on the subject of stepper motors and drives and I have been reading as much as I can to learn. However I am not getting very far. Here is my problem: I have built a table and am trying to connect these nema 23 motors. (23HS8630/23HS7430). The spec sheet says these are bipolar and made by Longs Motor. I also had a combination breakout board and driver. You all know the Chinese TB6560. Somehow I did get all three axes working and responding to Linuxcnc commands. Then while one axis was moving (probably had it set too fast) one of the chips started smoking and burned up. So I bought another Chinese BOB and this time, 3 separate TB6560 drivers. I am not having a lot of luck trying to configure these. First of all I don't know what I'm doing and cannot find definitive documentation on this equipment.
    This is the long winded run up to my question. Are the above mentioned suitable for a llnistepper driver? The linistepper docs advise that they will run a unipolar stepper motor, but I cannot figure out if a stepper can be a bipolar motor and configured as unipolar. I figure I could build some of these and actually learn while I was doing it. And also be able to repair them when I burn them up as I think that could be a distinct possibility.
    If anyone can understand what I'm trying to say please point me in the right direction. I will be most happy to RTFM if only knew where to find it and start.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bipolar to Unipolar

Looks like it has 6 wires, so it can be used in a unipolar configuration. The Linistepper can run it.

Having said that... I would strongly recommend the THB6064AH kit instead. It's bipolar, it's well documented, and you still have to put it together (so it's no worse) and it's actually a little easier to assemble.

I would recommend NOT buying either the Linistepper or the THB6064AH kit from me unless you are comfortable with a soldering iron. These are kits... as in, you get the PCB, and the components, and YOU solder the components onto the PCB. The advantage of that is that if you fry a chip (which is MUCH less likely, BTW) then you can easily replace it yourself... you know how to solder it on, so you can cut it off and solder a new chip on. The chips are $10. The disadvantage is you have to take the time to put it together. Which means you must be able to solder. These are NOT good kits to learn to solder on. I DO fully support them, answer all questions, solve all problems, and stand by my customers until they are happy... or (very rare cases) they get a full refund and therefore aren't my customers anymore. ,o)

If you can't solder, or don't want to take the time to learn, purchase a THB6064AH driver from China. They work better than the TB6560 (by a LONG ways). Or purchase a GeckoDrive. Then you get both a great driver AND full support.

James hosts the single best wiki page about motors for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://techref.massmind.org/techref/io/motors.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)