Newbie stepper outputs

Thread: stepper outputs

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default stepper outputs

I just got a stepcraft 2 840. I'm looking at upgrading motors. Does anyone know if you can use the 4 wire outputs to the motors to drive a new pwb with more current and voltage to the steppers? I want to use the existing controller to control everything, but thought I might boost the output for maybe nema 23s. it seems to me I could make an add on driver that uses the outputs and boosts them? Thanks, Duane

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: stepper outputs

I don't think what you propose would work well. Stepper drives use a 2 wire input (well, three if you count the return). This gives the drive a step and direction signal from the computer, the 4 wire output to the motor is something totally different.

In order to do what you want, you would have to access the step and direction signal input to the existing drives. The step and direction signals to most drives is 5 volts.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your Stepcraft is running UCCNC, then it's probably using a UC100 motion controller. You would plug a breakout board into the UC100, and connect your drives to that. Or, use a drive like a Gecko G540, which would connect directly to a UC100.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I don't think what you propose would work well. Stepper drives use a 2 wire input (well, three if you count the return). This gives the drive a step and direction signal from the computer, the 4 wire output to the motor is something totally different.

In order to do what you want, you would have to access the step and direction signal input to the existing drives. The step and direction signals to most drives is 5 volts.
    I was thinking the signal is correct at the stepper output, it just needs to go through another transistor that can output more current. Much like a preamp to power amp. it's already sending the correct signals to the steppers, just amplify those signals.

Last edited by ger21; 12-21-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh.... I misunderstood what you said. I guess that might work, but I think there is some phase to phase current limiting feedback going on in the drive. Not sure how to accommodate that. Maybe looking at some stepper drive schematics would be helpful to understand exactly what is going on there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Ahhh.... I misunderstood what you said. I guess that might work, but I think there is some phase to phase current limiting feedback going on in the drive. Not sure how to accommodate that. Maybe looking at some stepper drive schematics would be helpful to understand exactly what is going on there.
    Isn't it true that a longer stepper has more torque

Downloads
    Uploads

Generally yes, in the same series motor, the longer the higher the torque. You have more rotor and windings.