Need Help! Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers

Thread: Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers

Hi All,

I need some help connecting my breakout board to my stepper motor drivers.

The breakout board is a Chinese HG05 make, does anyone know this board or has any experience with it.

My main problem is the markings on the breakout board, it has 5 output pins:

EN = ?
    CW = ?
    CK = ?
    Vcc = positive power to controller
    Gnd = negative power to controller

Then on the controller units I have a bit more information:

Microstep Driver CW230:

Vcc+ = positive power from breakout board/power supply
    Grn- = negative power from breakout board/power supply
    A+ = red wire of stepper motor
    A- = green wire of stepper motor
    B+ = yellow wire of stepper motor
    B- = blue wire of stepper motor

Rest – = motor free
    Rest+ = motor free
    CW- = stepping direction
    CW+ = stepping direction
    CP- = stepping pulse input
    CP+ = stepping pulse input

Microstep Driver CW8060

Vcc+ = positive power from breakout board/power supply
    Grn- = negative power from breakout board/power supply
    A+ = red wire of stepper motor
    A- = green wire of stepper motor
    B+ = yellow wire of stepper motor
    B- = blue wire of stepper motor

CP+ = stepping pulse input
    CP- = stepping pulse input
    CW+ = stepping direction
    CW- = stepping direction
    EN+ = motor free
    EN- = motor free

I have three wires on my breakout board and four connections on my controllers. How do I know if the wire from my breakout board connects to the + or – side of the controller connection.

The HG05 breakout board’s rated power input is 18V to 36V and I want my CW8060 controllers to run on 48V. Am I correct in saying that I can connect the controller directly to my power supply (48V) and then just receive the signals from my breakout board instead of using the power supply from my breakout board (max 36V).

I hope someone can please give me more information on the terminal markings and how to connect the drivers to the breakout board.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers-hg05-small-jpg   Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers-cw230-en-small-jpg   Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers-cw8060-small-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I do not have direct experience with either your breakout board or your drivers.

So this info is just based on my experience with other such units.

EN = Enable (the enable signal is supposed to be asserted in order for the driver to power the attached stepper motor)

CW = Direction signal (a high signal may signify "clockwise" direction, while a low signal may signify "counter-clockwise" direction, however the motor direction will also depend on the wiring to the motors)

CK = Step pulse (or clock) signal - one pulse on this line moves the motor one step (or microstep, depending on the mode set within the driver)

Downloads
    Uploads

As far as the 18 to 36 volt input of the breakout board, that is almost certainly independent of the power supply for the drivers. Most of the breakout boards that I have seen have only a 5-volt power supply. But you will need a power supply for the breakout board that is separate from the driver power supply.

Most likely the drivers use optoisolated inputs for their control signals. They have a + input and a - input in order to give some flexibility in the way that they receive their signals.

The installation manual for the drivers probably shows two different types of wiring hookups.

With one hookup diagram, the logic circuitry within the breakout board's output stage supplies the signal/power for the optoisolators that are connected to the input terminals of the driver (with the signal connected to the DIR+ and STEP+ inputs, for example), and the - inputs are connected to ground (the DIR- and STEP- inputs, for example).

With the other hookup diagram, the + inputs (DIR+, STEP+, etc.) are connected to a positive power supply, possibly through a current-limiting resistor, and the - inputs (DIR-, STEP- etc.) are connected to the breakout board output terminals, because the logic circuitry in the breakout board shunts those inputs to ground. In such a case, there might be a pullup resistor shown on the diagram for each of those inputs.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would connect like this: (98% sure)

BOB to CW230:
    EN -> Rest+
    GND -> Rest-
    CW -> CW+
    GND -> CW-
    CK -> CP+
    GND -> CP-

BOB to CW8060:
    EN -> EN+
    GND -> EN-
    CW -> CW+
    GND -> CW-
    CK -> CP+
    GND -> CP-

Yes, you can connect a different PSU to the drivers.

Hub

:) Current build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/264838-new-machine-desing-quot-cnm13-quot.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies and in put on the connecting of the stepper motors and drives.

I struggled and cursed for two days to get them working and it was all due to one small setting in Mach3.

I completed my test board on Monday night and was so bummed out because I didn’t have a serial parallel cable to test it.

I went to two electronic shops on Tuesday to buy a cable, but they were all sold out. At the second shop I decided to buy components and make myself a cable. I really wanted to test my motors. The unfortunate thing was that they only had a 12 core cable, but it will still work, I just have to sacrifice some of the input signals. Well needless to say after a very long night I had to admit defeat and call it a night.

On Wednesday I got a proper cable and my spirits way high. Came home plugged it in and nothing happened. I must have tried every possible configuration on connecting the stepper motors to their drivers known to man kind and still couldn’t get them to work.

After another long night of struggling I was ready to cry. I though I must have done something wrong in the early stages and fried my breakout board, it just wouldn’t work.

The next part I have to admit is the hard part to write, but..

During my 2 days of hell I repeatedly tried to download the Mach3 Support PDF, but for some reason it always abort half way through. Then after some more struggling with the motors I would try again, same thing.

Eventually I started up my old computer to see if I cant download it on that computer and I could. Well let’s just say I could have saved myself a lot of time if I have read the support PDF first.

In my breakout board manual they give you the settings for Mach3. I followed them because it was all I had to go buy. The first setting in ports and pins is for the parallel port and they say you must switch your kernel speed to 35000Hz, but Mach3 in demo mode will only operate on 25000Hz.

I say no more…

During all my reading I came across this PDF that is probably most helpful to the type of drivers I have.

I connected my breakout board to my drivers according to the Yang connection. This is Vcc+ from my breakout board to my CP+, CW+ and EN+. Then the EN, CW and CK from my breakout board to my EN-, CW- and CP- on the controller.

Thanks again for reading and all the help from the other members of CNC Zone who is sharing their information in the forums.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers-dm860a-motor-driver-pdf   Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers-dscn1664-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have this break out board.

I'm still trying to get it to work with my gecko 201v's.

Its a pain in the ass.. meh

have you figured it out yet?

I have a pdf for cnc4you.co.uk which explains it pretty well for your components

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers

i'm actually wondering the same thing did you ever get it to work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Connecting Breakout board to Stepper Drivers

Hi,

Yes I got them to work.

I connected my breakout board to my drivers according to the Yang connection. This is Vcc+ from my breakout board to my CP+, CW+ and EN+. Then the EN, CW and CK from my breakout board to my EN-, CW- and CP- on the controller.
    Its all in the PDF.

I no longer use that BOB, I must have fried something while I was doing my final wiring. Think it was a ground or earth fault. I know I made a wrong connection with the screens and the earth. There was quite a high voltage reading between ground and the screens. Not really sure what it was but after that the machine was running very erratic, stalling, just not working. I chanced the BOB for a new and different make and that solved all the problems.