Need Help! Stepcraft Choice

Thread: Stepcraft Choice

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepcraft Choice

Hi Guys, I'm new so hopefully posting in the correct place.
    I am about to purchase my first ever CNC machine to help build guitars--for parts such as fingerboards, necks, Bracing etc etc
    I saw the stepcraft and its available here where I live in Ireland but I was wondering if its just a hobby machine or would it also be suitable for light production work.
    Any info gratefully accepted and thank you
    Regards
    Rusty

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepcraft Choice

It's a pretty light duty machine, since one of the spindle choices is a dremel, and the largest is only a 500w spindle.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reply and I was kinda coming to that conclusion as well
    The other option I had was this one: JBEC LCS 6042 CNC | CNC Router Systems | CNC Milling Machine
    It boasts a Rapid feed speed: 6,000 (mm/min)
    The bed is 600x420 so I'm hoping thats large enough. It costs a lot more than the stepcraft but is more powerful.
    But , much more expensive of course.
    So much to learn as well !! But, I'm now looking forward to this unknown journey and hoping it will all be worthwhile.
    Cheers
    Rusty

Downloads
    Uploads

I still think that one is too light duty. From that manufacturer, I'd go for this one. JBEC professional 106512 CNC | CNC Router Systems | CNC Milling Machine
    But I think it's made in China.

I'd look into getting an XZero, if you don't mind assembling a kit and having it shipped from Canada. Not sure about taxes and duty, but it's a lot cheaper, and better quality. A friend of mine has two XZero's, and uses them for acoustic necks, fretboards and bridges.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No the Jbec is not made in China. Some of the parts are made in Germany but the remainder is made here in Ireland. I had a look at one myself and saw where they are made. Did you purchase one rusty?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by laurahb View Post
    No the Jbec is not made in China. Some of the parts are made in Germany but the remainder is made here in Ireland. I had a look at one myself and saw where they are made. Did you purchase one rusty?
    No, Still hoping to buy one shortly when I get cash organised for it. It sounds like the best option for what I need. Mostly guitar parts including bodies for electric, necks and bridges etc etc.
    When you say you saw them being made --was that in Kilkenny by any chance ?
    Cheers
    Rusty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes Rusty it was. Didn't see them being actually made. but saw all the machinery used to make them. Have you gone to see John yourself?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No , but I do intend to make the journey down soon --I'm in the west---but I did chat to him for about an hour by telephone and he certainly sounds like he knows his stuff.
    Have you experience of cnc yourself ? Its a first time for me so pretty much starting from scratch but looking forward to learning.
    Rusty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no experience of cnc myself. I do printing and laser engraving, so this is all new to me. My head is wrecked trying to make a decision. If I was going for the jbec I would go for the professional one though. I'm looking at getting the Alu 1390 with the high frequency spindle.
    I wont be doing massive amounts of work on it so I'm not looking for a heavy industrial cnc. I like the idea that the supplier is based in Ireland so the support is there. I have bought other machines from England and not had much luck support wise so that is a big plus for me. Downside is he is snowed under at the moment and the waiting list is approx. 12 weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads

The best is to check directly eith them if you live there! It is hard for me to do it as I live far from Ireland, otherwise I'll pay a visit to them and get all info.
    Good luck!
    Teodor

Teodor
    Imprint Tech

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Imprint3D View Post
    The best is to check directly eith them if you live there! It is hard for me to do it as I live far from Ireland, otherwise I'll pay a visit to them and get all info.
    Good luck!
    Teodor
    Thanks to all who replied,
    Just trying to get the cash together now to buy it. I will keep u all posted when I get it delivered and up and running .
    Does anyone here use CNC for guitar parts and what are the options for using it on Acoustic Guitars---i.e. Bridges-- that should be easy enough ?,
    Necks--?, String pins ? Routing for rosette --?, Inlay on headstock --yes I'm pretty sure that can be done by cnc
    Oh, and very important--bracing.
    Not too sure about what else it could be used for.
    Thanks
    Rusty

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this answers your question, found on youtube about the Stoney machine: