I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalShavings View Post
    I went to the link you provided and from the descriptions I found that I'm basically setting up my Chamfering tool paths the same way. There is a little variance in how I do it but very similar. Following is a zip file of the stand alone tool path that I had set up in SprutCam for when I initially finished side number one of my part than then turned the part over and set up another Chamfering tool path to Chamfer around the entire edge of the opposite side or the back side of the same part.

Maybe you can spot something that I haven't been able to that's wrong with this code.

MetalShavings

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!-double-parenthis-png  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I Finally Figured Out How To Use The Chamfering Tool In SprutCAM- BUT!

the last line in the snip (H0.25)) is what is in the line,
    should be (H0.25) , this is the problem I had a few years back.

If you take out the extra paranthesis ) it should work.

I will try to run it on my machine probably tomorrow if youre still having trouble.

Edit: I dont have a working copy of Mach 3, I can try it in Pathpilot if you like?

I couldnt get that file you sent to be accepted by PP, you will need to post the .stc file from Sprut, then I can open it in sprutcam and post a file.

Last edited by popspipes; 08-25-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    the last line in the snip (H0.25)) is what is in the line,
    should be (H0.25) , this is the problem I had a few years back.

If you take out the extra paranthesis ) it should work.

I will try to run it on my machine probably tomorrow if youre still having trouble.

Edit: I dont have a working copy of Mach 3, I can try it in Pathpilot if you like?

I couldnt get that file you sent to be accepted by PP, you will need to post the .stc file from Sprut, then I can open it in sprutcam and post a file.

I did see that but I thought nothing of it because I figured it was proper since it was just a set of parenthesis imbedded within a set of parenthesis. I take it that within the G-Code world each snippet of the tool description line has to be separately sandwiched between it's own pair of parenthesis and not imbedded within another pair of parenthesis?

I'll go out back right now and edit the code I have loaded to see if it makes any difference.

MetalShavings.

Downloads
    Uploads

I did see that but I thought nothing of it because I figured it was proper since it was just a set of parenthesis imbedded within a set of parenthesis. I take it that within the G-Code world each snippet of the tool description line has to be separately sandwiched between it's own pair of parenthesis and not imbedded within another pair of parenthesis?

I'll go out back right now and edit the code I have loaded to see if it makes any difference.

MetalShavings.
    Your right, I have been trying to run it and having no luck when it comes to the engraver regardless of changes!

As near as I can remember it had to do with the tool description, not the code back then??
    I do think the latest update to sprutcam will fix the problem....

maybe you can copy and paste one of the engraver ops that do work, then change the particular settings and try that?

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Your right, I have been trying to run it and having no luck when it comes to the engraver regardless of changes!

As near as I can remember it had to do with the tool description, not the code back then??
    I do think the latest update to sprutcam will fix the problem....

maybe you can copy and paste one of the engraver ops that do work, then change the particular settings and try that?

I'm having a slow work day today so I was able to go out back to the shop and fiddle around with the G-Code on this parts run. Before, I was only able to get as far as loading the G-Code; then the highlight bar would only go as far as line five of the tool description. This is the line that held the odd number of parenthesis. I edited that line of tool description code by putting each piece of the tool description in between its own set of parenthesis. I saved it and then re-loaded it into Mach3. I still got no tool path images in the viewer to the right but now, the highlight in the G-Code column went all the way down to where the Engraver tool was introduced as the next tool change.

In the Mach3 software there's an icon that reads, "Change Code". When I click on it, it opens up a separate page that contains my G-Code in an editing software so I can change what needs changing. Anyway, in this editing page I scroll all the way down to the line that introduces the Engraver as my last tool change. I notice that this line too has the odd number of parenthesis so I initially edit those the same way I edited the tool description line at the top of the page. I saved it and re-loaded it into Mach3 but I still got the same results. The highlight would automatically scroll down to that bottom Engraver tool change line and stop there. I still had no image of my tool paths in the small screen to the top right of the Mach3 screen.

So, I went back down to the Engraver tool change line and removed everything but the word, "Engraver" sandwiched in between it's own set of parenthesis and tried again to load the G-Code. I think that was the fix I was looking for because when I loaded the G-Code it loaded like normal and I got the full image of my tool paths in the small viewing screen to the right of the Mach3 screen.

I'll be trying make up some tool paths for the back sides of these same parts tonight after work. If editing the tool descriptions lines at the top of my G-Code page and at the bottom where the Engraver tool change is displayed turns out to be the fix for this problem, I should be able to confirm it when I try to load it into the Mach3 software as strictly a single engraving tool, tool path. If I'm able to load that code like normal and get an image of my tool path in the Mach3 viewing window I'll be a happy camper.

I spent most of the morning yesterday running a small batch of these parts. I spent part of this morning doing the post machining clean up on those parts. I wish I had found this G-Code fix a little earlier. It would have saved me a lot to work.

Oh well; I learn these lessons the hard way so the lessons stay learned.

Mike Sr.; thank you very much for your assistance. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it all turned out next time I run those same parts.

MetalShavings

Last edited by MetalShavings; 08-25-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I took the time to generate all new G-Code for these same parts using a 3/8" end mill for my roughing tool paths instead of the 1/2" end mill I was using before. I still had to edit those same lines of code that I did before in order to get the Mach3 software to accept my G-Code. I had four different sets of G-Code. The tiny parts I'm making are used as Match-Grade-Trigger components for a specific line of air rifles. Two of those sets of G-Code are for the front faces of the parts and the other two sets of G-Code are used when I turn the parts over to plane off the backside and apply the Chamfer to the backside of those same parts.

I was able to load each page of code without a problem. It all loaded like normal with the accompanying tool paths visible in the Mach3 view screen I won't be running any more parts until I've sold off my present inventory but I'm feeling confident that editing code in the tool description line was the simple fix I was looking for. Thanks again for your suggestions. I look forward to not having to do all of that post machining clean up work on these tiny parts.

It's ironic that I developed these parts so that I could improve the trigger pull and enjoy my air gun a lot more. Instead I find myself having to spend to much of my free time making more parts rather than shooting my air gun. This Chamfer fix might also fix my free-time dilemma as well. With a little more free time I might actually have time to shoot my air gun now.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

I took the time to generate all new G-Code for these same parts using a 3/8" end mill for my roughing tool paths instead of the 1/2" end mill I was using before. I still had to edit those same lines of code that I did before in order to get the Mach3 software to accept my G-Code. I had four different sets of G-Code. The tiny parts I'm making are used as Match-Grade-Trigger components for a specific line of air rifles. Two of those sets of G-Code are for the front faces of the parts and the other two sets of G-Code are used when I turn the parts over to plane off the backside and apply the Chamfer to the backside of those same parts.

I was able to load each page of code without a problem. It all loaded like normal with the accompanying tool paths visible in the Mach3 view screen I won't be running any more parts until I've sold off my present inventory but I'm feeling confident that editing code in the tool description line was the simple fix I was looking for. Thanks again for your suggestions. I look forward to not having to do all of that post machining clean up work on these tiny parts.

It's ironic that I developed these parts so that I could improve the trigger pull and enjoy my air gun a lot more. Instead I find myself having to spend to much of my free time making more parts rather than shooting my air gun. This Chamfer fix might also fix my free-time dilemma as well. With a little more free time I might actually have time to shoot my air gun now.

MetalShavings
    I made up some steel tuned pipes from kits because they were much cheaper, I wound up selling over 1000 of them! I got to where I didnt have time to run my RC boats, just make parts for them.......They did pay for my Tormach and related tools and equipment though..
    I make exhaust and carb parts for the RC boat engines as well, but it did teach me a lot about CNC machining.

Sprutcam has done really well for me, I dont know all the ops but the ones I use I dont have issue with. The early versions of sprut had problems with engraving text, safe height etc., the latest issue has fixed all that.
    Still not an easy program to learn.

I also put a small chamfer on my parts for the same reason, then I put them in the vibratory polisher for 12 hours or so and they really conme out nice and it eliminates the hand work!

Keep us posted on how the engraving comes out..........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I've dreamed about getting a vibratory polisher for these same parts. I may still do so in the future if I can find one cheap enough. I actually have the brass tumbler I use for reloading that might work but the tube is made of plastic so I don't think it will hold up under this type of application. Also, I'd have to do some research into the proper kind of tumbling medium I'd need. Now it's on to the next SprutCam problem. It's not really a problem; it's more of an ignorance-thing on my part that I need to learn how to do within the SprutCam software.

I find that I'm able to set up my HSM tool paths pretty well but I need to find out how to tweak my G-Code so that when my end mill is cutting a tight inside corner I can get it to slow down a bit to mitigate the chatter that's produced; and the accompanying poor surface finish and shortened tool life that the chatter from those tight inside corners. I remember reading or hearing of a method within SprutCam to slow either the RPM or the FEED RATE in situations like this but I can't remember where I heard it or where I read it. I'll have to do a search on YouTube to see if I can find a tutorial on this particular subject.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

I've dreamed about getting a vibratory polisher for these same parts. I may still do so in the future if I can find one cheap enough. I actually have the brass tumbler I use for reloading that might work but the tube is made of plastic so I don't think it will hold up under this type of application. Also, I'd have to do some research into the proper kind of tumbling medium I'd need. Now it's on to the next SprutCam problem. It's not really a problem; it's more of an ignorance-thing on my part that I need to learn how to do within the SprutCam software.

I find that I'm able to set up my HSM tool paths pretty well but I need to find out how to tweak my G-Code so that when my end mill is cutting a tight inside corner I can get it to slow down a bit to mitigate the chatter that's produced; and the accompanying poor surface finish and shortened tool life that the chatter from those tight inside corners. I remember reading or hearing of a method within SprutCam to slow either the RPM or the FEED RATE in situations like this but I can't remember where I heard it or where I read it. I'll have to do a search on YouTube to see if I can find a tutorial on this particular subject.

MetalShavings
    I always use a cutter thats smaller than the radius, this helps quite a bit, also I always use a finish pass, that takes care of most of it. The same size cutter and radius will squeal big time in the corners as the cutter is cutting full width in the corners.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I always use a cutter thats smaller than the radius, this helps quite a bit, also I always use a finish pass, that takes care of most of it. The same size cutter and radius will squeal big time in the corners as the cutter is cutting full width in the corners.
    I too do both the things you've mentioned but due to the small size of the parts I'm cutting and the number of them I'm machining from one piece of bar stock I've been using a half-inch end mill that is slightly smaller in diameter than the inside corners being milled. I'll also leave some metal for finishing passes but I still get the chatter on those inside corners. It's like finger nails scratching across a chalk board. I figure if it's as bad as it sounds I'd probably better try to find a solution to that problem too.

I just recently ordered a 3/8" end mill that I'll be using to do the same tool paths. This is the reason I took the time to re-run all the tool paths I mentioned in one of my previous posts. I could swear I remember hearing in one of the earliest SprutCam 7 tutorials something mentioned about how to mitigate chatter on inside corners. I don't know if Tormach or SprutCam took down some of their older tutorial videos or not. I can't seem to find that particular video anymore.

MetalShavings

Downloads
    Uploads

On my wheelie bars, I would get a chirp on the inside corners, a shorter endmill fixed that problem as they are only 1/4 in thick. I have a Darex cutter grinder so I can sharpen flutes or ends of the endmills. 95% of my endmills are 4 flute, a bit more ridgid than the 2 flute in my opinion, I havent tried the variable helix, that may work on chatter as well??

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I've sent an inquiry to the Tormach/SprutCam support guys about it. I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I'm fairly certain that like my previous Chamfering problems, this too has an easy fix to it. It's finding that easy fix that's the hard part.

If I could find that video I alluded to I wouldn't even have to ask for help with this but asking for help seems like the way to go for this problem.

MetalShavings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12