SprutCam error message

Thread: SprutCam error message

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SprutCam error message

Looking for any insight into an error message I'm getting on my Tormach PCNC 1100 mill when I try to load a Sprutcam program. The message is:

G code error
    near line 3
    No characters found in reading real value

I originally thought I had a corrupted drawing file, so I started completely over with a new SolidWorks drawing and a new Sprutcam program, but am still getting this message. Not getting it on any other jobs.

Thanks for any help.
    Jim

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SprutCam error message

We need more info such as; is the controller PathPilot or Mach, Include as much of the G code as you can. At least the first 7 to 10 lines. It will be much easier to help you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My machine has PilotPath. Here is the first few lines of the G-code
    %
    OTest

( POSTPROCESSOR: )
    ( GENERATED BY SprutCAM )
    ( Date: 3/12/2017 )
    ( Time: 5:12:33 PM )

(Tool) (1) (Diameter) (0.5) (.500 2fl HSS End Mill) (Operation) (2D contouring)

N10 G90 G64 G50 G54 G80 G17 G40 G49
    N20 G20 (Inch)
    (2D contouring)
    N30 G30
    N40 T1 G43 H1 M6
    (.500 2fl HSS End mill)
    N50 S2000 M3 M8
    N60 G0 G94 X-1.654 Y0.
    N70 Z0.3

There's something else going on that seems strange. This part is a test part that I drew just to do troubleshooting of the post processor. I processed it twice. One of the files runs, and the other one doesn't. Looked at the G code, and they're identical. Wondering if there can be some kind of error in writing the file to the thumb drive or to the machine. The error code is the same one I saw on the earlier file, so is independent of the part.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimearsley View Post
    My machine has PilotPath. Here is the first few lines of the G-code
    %
    OTest

( POSTPROCESSOR: )
    ( GENERATED BY SprutCAM )
    ( Date: 3/12/2017 )
    ( Time: 5:12:33 PM )

(Tool) (1) (Diameter) (0.5) (.500 2fl HSS End Mill) (Operation) (2D contouring)

N10 G90 G64 G50 G54 G80 G17 G40 G49
    N20 G20 (Inch)
    (2D contouring)
    N30 G30
    N40 T1 G43 H1 M6
    (.500 2fl HSS End mill)
    N50 S2000 M3 M8
    N60 G0 G94 X-1.654 Y0.
    N70 Z0.3

There's something else going on that seems strange. This part is a test part that I drew just to do troubleshooting of the post processor. I processed it twice. One of the files runs, and the other one doesn't. Looked at the G code, and they're identical. Wondering if there can be some kind of error in writing the file to the thumb drive or to the machine. The error code is the same one I saw on the earlier file, so is independent of the part.

Jim
    Jim,
    Please feel free to contact me at jake@tormach.com. I would be happy to look into this for you.

Best,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wanted to post a message about the resolution of this problem. I also want to thank Jacob Steuber at Tormach for his assistance. There's no doubt I'd never have figured this one out on my own.

Turns out it was a software problem with PathPilot. I was unaware of new software updates, so have not been making them. Seems an older version of PathPilot had a problem with file names. Jacob said the error referring to line 3 was talking about the file name, not the G code. Not sure of all the issues, but the program didn't like the name I gave the job. That is why the second, identical, job ran because I had renamed the file. I have now updated the software and the original file loads properly. Definitely will pay more attention to software updates in the future.

Jim