Need Help! SC update issues - what once worked now does not, again.

Thread: SC update issues - what once worked now does not, again.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default SC update issues - what once worked now does not, again.

Sorry if this sounds idiotic, but I am a part-time user of Sprutcam, not a pro. If FAQ thread exists for folks like me doing SC upgrades, please post a link.

I've had SC since version 7, when I got my Tormach 1100. I've just done my 3rd upgrade, bringing me to version 10. When I upgrade, however, I still keep the older versions, and I'll explain why. More often than not, projects that I did in an older version will break in the new version. If I want to work from an older project and just modify it a little, I find that when I bring it up in a newer version of SC, it won't "run" in the machining tab without generating errors. Usually collisions with the part or gouges.

This is happening *before* any modifications are made. So, here's what I've done so far in the "upgrade/load old project" process:

1. upgrade to SC10
    2. In the machining tab, select the machine, right click and select "parameters". Select the proper machine.
    3. Load up one of my simpler projects.
    4. click "Run" in the machining tab, and it fails. Doh! Forgot to export tools library and select it in this version. So...
    5. double-click one of the machining operations and the "Operation:" window appears.
    6. select the "Library selection" tab, select the tools file copied over from previous SC version. Verify that my tools are all there. Verify also that my project is still using the correct tools, feeds, speeds, etc. They are.
    7. click "Run" in the machining tab (with the machine line selected so all operations will be run) Many "part gouge" errors occur.

The project is an engraved tag. The operations are, a: spot 2 holes, b: drill the spotted holes, c: engrave a bunch of text to a depth of .007 inches in 4 steps, and d: repeat c, but with only 1 step (cleanup pass).

This does not happen with a copy of the project in SC7. I found a parameter in SC10 that has something to do with it. In the machining tab, I select the machine. Then in the box below the operations, under "Simulation Method" there is a parameter called "Gouge detection tolerance" which defaults to .002. If I increase this value to .008 (greater than the absolute depth of any engraving step), the errors do not occur. Unfortunately, I am unable to find this parameter (or its setting) in SC7, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Anyone else have problems like this upon upgrading? What exactly is meant by "gouge"? I could understand errors resulting from doing a rapid into a part or trying to "cut" without having the spindle on. I don't like the idea of just telling SC to "never mind and just do it" without understanding what's going on. The idea of doing this and then running the result on the actual machine makes the hair on my neck stand up. It also makes my wallet flinch. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

-Mark

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SC update issues - what once worked now does not, again.

That gouge message is SC telling you your tool is cutting into your model beyond the work piece. The gouge value of .002 is the acceptable allowance for the conflict. Since you are engraving, your model and tool path are probably not equal in depth, width or shape; this is not uncommon for engraving. Observe the simulation and the exact conflict will be evident in the step code (red = fault). You do have the option to disable gouge detection.

Downloads
    Uploads

I find only sprut 9 loads into sprut 10 reliably and even then sometimes its messed up and takes more time to figure out problem then to just start over. Not a problem most the time because my sprut skills are better then before and I end up with a better more efficient program then before and I get better results.

As uman mentioned gouge would need to be turned off for most engrave ops unless you have that specific detail drawn into the model. Sprut has so many options for tool entry, path and retract that I can see with experience a person could get some amazing detail or style with the right settings and cutters.

Downloads
    Uploads

I upgraded Sprutcam for several years but finally gave up due to the issue of things working in one version and then being broke in the next. The company was always good about fixing the issues, but I wasted way to much time and effort finding and debugging such problems which should have been caught in their testing. I quickly tired of paying upgrade fees only to do product testing and debugging. I found a version that works for me and then stopped upgrading beyond that point. Some new features would be nice, but not worth the hassle for me at this time.

Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gouging can be tricky to figure out. If you have a straight .125 slot, and use a .125 endmill, it probably won't show a gouge. But if you have a curved .125 slot and use a .125 endmill it will likely show a gouge. Why? Because the arcs generated by SC don't perfectly match the arc in the CAD part. It will then show a gouge while you are watching what seems to be a perfectly good simulation. In cases like that the best thing to do is turn off the "stop simulation on error" option and just ignore the gouge error.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    I upgraded Sprutcam for several years but finally gave up due to the issue of things working in one version and then being broke in the next. The company was always good about fixing the issues, but I wasted way to much time and effort finding and debugging such problems which should have been caught in their testing. I quickly tired of paying upgrade fees only to do product testing and debugging. I found a version that works for me and then stopped upgrading beyond that point. Some new features would be nice, but not worth the hassle for me at this time.

Robert
    I read about those problems over the last few years, I was going to upgrade from 7 to 9 and they wanted 1500 to do it, so I am using 7 still, it is the latest of the upgrades and has some quirks but I am versed in what they are and how to deal with them and it does what I need it to do and doesnt cost anything.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

For reasons mentioned above, the calculated tool path may ever so slightly violate the model and flag a gouge.
    The tolerance for this flag can be adjusted within the simulation structure view.
    RMC the fault line and select "define workpiece parameters" and adjust the tolerance as required.