Smart setup for large cut-out region?

Thread: Smart setup for large cut-out region?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smart setup for large cut-out region?

Hi All, I'm trying to create (in SprutCAM 7) a nice finish on a piece of 1/4" 6061 plate with a large cut-out in the center. What I'd like to do is perform a 4-pass (1/16" per cut) roughing waterline to cut around the center section (which is scrap and will drop away) and leave 0.005" around the edge of the cutout. Then I'd like to perform a single full-depth finish pass to remove the final 0.005" and leave a smooth finish.

I've tried starting with a roughing waterline pass with a "fixture" created from an 2D equidistant profile to prevent the pass from roughing out all of the center section -- but I can't seem to setup the offsets and other parameters to force waterline roughing to perform only a single loop per level -- it always wants to run two loops -- along both the inside and outside of the cut. Any ideas? How would you normally set this up?

Thanks!
    -Bill

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smart setup for large cut-out region?

I would do it in separate 2D contouring operations then you will have more control off the toolpaths.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tkgb View Post
    I would do it in separate 2D contouring operations then you will have more control off the toolpaths.
    Hey tkgb -- thanks for the helpful tip. I haven't used SprutCAM for a couple of years and somehow I had it in my brain that 2D contouring couldn't do that...

Best -- and Happy New Year!
    -Bill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finishing waterline does what you want to do as well. The finishing routines only machine next to your part. They assume the excess material is removed in previous steps. I have used finishing waterline for exactly your purpose since it will not gouge. With 2d contouring you are responsible for ensuring no gouge.