Thread: SprutCAM 11 - Coming Soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SprutCAM 11 - Coming Soon!

What's new: New Show Points feature

Downloads
    Uploads

What's new: Overview of the machining strategies for the new '5D Surfacing' operation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

On the latest update to 10, it reversed drill default directions! My M3 went to M4. I of course didn't notice until the drills were howling! Might need to check on that

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    On the latest update to 10, it reversed drill default directions! My M3 went to M4. I of course didn't notice until the drills were howling! Might need to check on that
    Greetings,
    I have not seen this issue yet. Have you updated since then and is it still doing it? Please send me an email to jsteuber@sprutcamamerica.com if you are still experiencing these issues.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got my V11 upgrade notification email today..
    Might be early to ask but has anyone bit yet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep. I bit the bullet and upgraded due to a string of issues I was having with Sprutcam 10 after a windows reinstall.
    My tool Libary now works properly finally and I must say SprutCam 11 has a lot more efficient tools paths.
    No more jumping about and going all the way around the part to take a tiny bit off a corner.
    I loaded a previous project from Sprutcam 10 and It came up with an error. Clicked ok. Had to sort a few little things out and It shows a weird tool path that's not used in the simulator. I can't seem to get rid of it but I don't think it will effect the process.
    Process like face milling now has strategy and process in the parameters menu which is nice.
    Other than that it's too early to tell what other improvements there are

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the report Labern. I plan to upgrade to stay current but nice to know some things to expect.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Labern View Post
    I loaded a previous project from Sprutcam 10 and It came up with an error. Clicked ok. Had to sort a few little things out and It shows a weird tool path that's not used in the simulator. I can't seem to get rid of it but I don't think it will effect the process.
    I want to stay current with this program but this will effect me a great deal. Unless Sprutcam allows me access to version 10 to use on my current parts and all new parts I can use Sprutcam 11 on so I dont have to spend 100's of hours re loading clean models into new version 11 and rebuilding cam setup from scratch because new version is not compatible with previous versions files. I have over 500 parts NOT 5 or 10. Some of my projects have 25 cam files alone and to reload one in a new version to change maybe a simple feed or speed on one operation or a number of ops because of type of tool change like number of flutes or SS to carbide will not work and in short be a disaster for time and cost! Also someone out here will tell me or give the excuse of HAND EDIT the old file! Then why even use the cam software or pay for upgrade if I am going to hand edit it and add even more ways for errors and crash my very expensive mill and tools and parts I make! In short Why pay money for something that will cost you time and money in the process unless they allow you access or option to old version and the option to use it on older files.

Something for Sprutcam developers and resale vendors to consider!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I want to stay current with this program but this will effect me a great deal. Unless Sprutcam allows me access to version 10 to use on my current parts and all new parts I can use Sprutcam 11 on so I dont have to spend 100's of hours re loading clean models into new version 11 and rebuilding cam setup from scratch because new version is not compatible with previous versions files. I have over 500 parts NOT 5 or 10. Some of my projects have 25 cam files alone and to reload one in a new version to change maybe a simple feed or speed on one operation or a number of ops because of type of tool change like number of flutes or SS to carbide will not work and in short be a disaster for time and cost! Also someone out here will tell me or give the excuse of HAND EDIT the old file! Then why even use the cam software or pay for upgrade if I am going to hand edit it and add even more ways for errors and crash my very expensive mill and tools and parts I make! In short Why pay money for something that will cost you time and money in the process unless they allow you access or option to old version and the option to use it on older files.

Something for Sprutcam developers and resale vendors to consider!
    You realize that as software improves, settings on files made in previous versions change. There is no way around it and that is standard for software across all platforms. CAM software is much more in depth than the average software and as much as people hate it, you may have some work to do on previous files. People demand improvements and when they are made, complain about having to do the work to "improve" the file. The upgrade process though now is through email. You use your 10 dongle and have access to it if needed. Have you talked with the vendor about this???

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use A Tormach and I found only one of the files I have edited had that weird tool path that I can't get rid of.
    When I load an old model it says the machine schema used in the project has been updated. When it loads the machines global cs and part are different positions which screws it up.
    Also under fixtures, the folder is ticked with an error even when I haven't loaded any fixtures. so I just delete it to remove the error.
    I don't have many files to edit so not much of an issue for me but yeah I would be grumpy if I had 500 parts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Labern View Post
    I use A Tormach and I found only one of the files I have edited had that weird tool path that I can't get rid of.
    When I load an old model it says the machine schema used in the project has been updated. When it loads the machines global cs and part are different positions which screws it up.
    Also under fixtures, the folder is ticked with an error even when I haven't loaded any fixtures. so I just delete it to remove the error.
    I don't have many files to edit so not much of an issue for me but yeah I would be grumpy if I had 500 parts.
    I've found resetting and then run has fixed this issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyb24 View Post
    You realize that as software improves, settings on files made in previous versions change. There is no way around it and that is standard for software across all platforms. CAM software is much more in depth than the average software and as much as people hate it, you may have some work to do on previous files. People demand improvements and when they are made, complain about having to do the work to "improve" the file. The upgrade process though now is through email. You use your 10 dongle and have access to it if needed. Have you talked with the vendor about this???
    I am sorry imho you are WRONG!
    I know software improves but sprutcam has problems opening files made by other users of the same version. And this should be a their main concern NOT added features. Added features does nothing if you cant use your previous files without problems. Backwards compatibility and bug fixes should be their number ONE concern when evaluating each code block that is added! I dont have one purchased program that has this problem except sprutcam. Freeware is that and I would expect problem because its free. Just think if you had to re draw every part because you updated software or new version. Re write every note or word in a book or anything else because of this problem. They are a professional software company and should know this! I use to consult and helped write code for a very complex software program for estimating huge construction projects. And the company was very very careful about this Most people cant even use this program very well. I can because I know how to look for bugs and work around them I also could guess what language its written in and the compiler used to compile it. uneducated guess is c# by microsoft! I use a couple very expensive programs that have no problem opening version 1 files all the way to version 15 files I dont expect version 1 to open version 15 files. Again INHO sprutcam could be a better product if they make it bullet proof and as error free as possible. Just ask tormach about the problems with their new rapid turn product. You try to avoid this as much as possible but sometimes it bites you. And ends up costing you more money then it will ever be worth short term anyway. People will move to other products if they find yours to be a problem to use.

And NO I have not explained this to them I am a Dumb user and they are PROFESSIONAL software developers and should KNOW this. btw I know that software is like the game of chess 12 moves into the game the number of branches approaches infinity so it pays to be very careful and to control every branch! imho its nice to get feedback from customers and use their ideas. but not at the expense of added bugs and backwards compatibility!

It looks like Sprutcam started this thread and I hope they use my user FEEDBACK.

BTW I spent 12 hours figuring out a simple error when I upgraded from 9 to 10. The chip pan in the machine definition had NOTHING to do with my PART or my operations caused me to spend that much time. I showed this to the tech support they said it was my fixtures that was causing problem . And it was the chip pan. now all my chips fall on the simulation floor. I would be embarrassed if such a simple error made its way into a new software distro like that. Hope companys that use this mentality never write code for flight systems of self driving cars

This is my way of communicating the problem private or public makes no difference to me. If I am wrong I learn from it, change my methods sometimes reluctantly and try not build on it! Build on a bad foundation its just a matter of time before it fails.

Last edited by mountaindew; 04-24-2017 at 11:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast