Years ago I did some rotary engraving. Now I can't remember how I did it!

Thread: Years ago I did some rotary engraving. Now I can't remember how I did it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Years ago I did some rotary engraving. Now I can't remember how I did it!

A few years ago, I wrote a program in Sprutcam 7 to engrave my initials onto a shot glass. If you're interested, video of the operation is here.

I want to do some more engraving, so I dug up the old Sprutcam 7 file, and I cannot figure out how in the heck I got this to work.

In the file,I have a solid model of the shot glass, but I didn't use it. Instead I defined a cylinder as the stock. And I have imported a .dxf with the letters, but they're flat, not curved. Somehow I did some magic in Sprut to get it to perform axis substitution, wrapping the text around the cylinder.

I'd love to figure out what I did years ago, so that I can do it again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sincerely,
    Frederic

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Years ago I did some rotary engraving. Now I can't remember how I did it!

See if this helps you out......
    I put it together a while ago. Just fast forward until you see the Sprut Screen the rest is probably going to be pretty boring for you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Years ago I did some rotary engraving. Now I can't remember how I did it!

I remember making this video thinking, "Uggh- I know that I won't remember how to do this in an efficient manner in a month or so- better upload this quickly!". I have had to go back and look at it 2 times myself so don't feel bad because it is not an "intuitive" CAM procedure. I always think 4th axis = rotary machining operations and I am almost always wrong.