Tool length & radius corrector

Thread: Tool length & radius corrector

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool length & radius corrector

I have not seen this before and maybe it came with a recent update version.
    SC10 tool library has a pre-assigned value listed for each tool; Length Corrector & Radius Corrector that seems to correspond with the tool number for an unknown reason.
    The SC10 manual does not mention this, nor does it show it as such.
    Any idea what these values mean?
    -uman

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool length & radius corrector-sc-corrector-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tool length & radius corrector

These two settings are in sprut 7 as well, what they are for is a mystery here too.......

mike sr

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have looked at those over the years as well. The only thing that I can think of is that they are a form of "wear correction" or off nominal correction for the tooling that you are using. I never change the values there and only specify the measured diameter if it is more than 0.001" off. Quite frankly measuring wear loss/deviation of a ball end mill's radius would be a PITA :-). If one is trying to hit high tolerances for a 3D surface while machining moulds, however, having the ability/flexibility to program for it and compensate the G-code generated is probably a welcome feature.

Downloads
    Uploads

They are the fields for setting where the NC program calls the tool length & tool radius compensation from

Normally they are the same as the Tool #

The length corrector appears in the NC program as a H#, and is associated with a G43 command ie G43 H1 Z1. will add the value stored in Length Offset #1 on the next Z move

The Radius corrector appears as a D# in certain operations only ie contouring when you need minor adjustment to achieve size because the tool may be smaller than programmed
    - it is activated with a G41 / G42 code ( ie G41 D1 X--- Y---) usually only on a line move, & is de-activated with a G40 code ...... read the machine control manuals for more info
    - radius comp should not be used when pocketing etc
    - compensation only applied on the active plane ie G17 (XY), the other axis is a depth position
    - it is not a 3D compensation- doesn't work on a ball nose radius, only the tool's diameter

These may / may not apply to you, but if you see them in your programs, it could open other options if needed

Downloads
    Uploads

In my very limited experience, I set up the tool in the table in the machine software for tool length, the diameters are set in my cam, when I regrind a cutter, or want a bit of diamerer correction I change that in diameter window for that tool in cam or in the stock setting window for that particular op

This may not be the correct way but it works for me.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I am trying to comprehend what Superman writes and what I am reading here. I need to get comfortable with this, so I am running tests on a simple program with different correction numbers and compensation options and reviewing the NC code.
    MIke sr you are correct, this field was in prior versions of SC, only in a slight different location and field name. SC10 changed the name (compensation to corrector) and integrated this field with the Tooling 1 field and now I see it as important.
    It appears this corrector number is only in play when compensation is ON (other than computer) so G41/42 start compensation and G40 cancel compensation are present in code.

What do the corrector numbers represent in value or effect?
    When a new tool is added the corrector number is automatically assigned and matches the N-number. But this number can be edited. What happens then?

Downloads
    Uploads

I spoke to Tormach SprutCAM tech support and he gave me this;
    The Length Corrector assigns Correction (tool) number offset value to the selected tool <interesting as Superman stated>
    The Radius Corrector has no effect in any Tormach post as of this date

Apparently, If tool #1 has correction value of 2, then tool #1 will assume tool #2 offset value; this could be catastrophic.

They recommend the following:
    All tool numbers are to match the Corrector number for length and radius
    Always select Computer compensation

I looked at my root library and found several tools with correction faults.
    I ran some test code and could not affect the radius or length of the tools by altering the length or radius correction values, but PathPilot may think different.
    -uman

Downloads
    Uploads

Uman,
    Good idea to keep a close eye on the tool length corrector number!!!!!
    I have found sprut will assign some goofy number that IS NOT THE TOOL NUMBER. This is another error that the user needs to watch for that can cause problems and has imho no real application to the average tormach mill user. I have a large note book that details many of these and other settings that either generate NO code or cause errors in code and have no real world use for a tormach machine I recommend this for long term use of this program.
    I have been working in the 4th axis section for couple months now figuring out what works and what settings generate code and witch ones do nothing. The amount of information on this area is thin and requires the user to figure it out step by step or take some advanced sprutcam class if there is one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Uman,
    Good idea to keep a close eye on the tool length corrector number!!!!!
    I have found sprut will assign some goofy number that IS NOT THE TOOL NUMBER. This is another error that the user needs to watch for that can cause problems and has imho no real application to the average tormach mill user. I have a large note book that details many of these and other settings that either generate NO code or cause errors in code and have no real world use for a tormach machine I recommend this for long term use of this program.
    I have been working in the 4th axis section for couple months now figuring out what works and what settings generate code and witch ones do nothing. The amount of information on this area is thin and requires the user to figure it out step by step or take some advanced sprutcam class if there is one.
    This happens frequently with SprutCAM 10 for the Tormach lathe and the tool library frequently forgets what tool number for a defined and saved tool. It's enough to drive one to Fusion 360.

Downloads
    Uploads

The SC library phenomenon is probably attributed to a user action - direct or indirect. I visit the root library often to observe those indirect effects and learn why.

Yea MH. CAM creativity requires complex control and SC certainly has that, unfortunately SC manipulation of those controls is often ambiguous мой друг. I am determined to achieve a master level of CAM control with SC. F360 is an awesome CAD/CAM, but like you, I use Alibre Design for the past 10yrs and F360 is dissimilar. I if figure the time investment to master F360 CAD/CAM is greater than the time to master SC - I hope.
    -uman

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    This happens frequently with SprutCAM 10 for the Tormach lathe and the tool library frequently forgets what tool number for a defined and saved tool. It's enough to drive one to Fusion 360.
    And then turn right back around because the Fusion 360 lathe is garbage. Doesn't compensate for the backside of the tool. I did exactly that and found out the hard way that the grass isn't greener.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyb24 View Post
    And then turn right back around because the Fusion 360 lathe is garbage. Doesn't compensate for the backside of the tool. I did exactly that and found out the hard way that the grass isn't greener.
    Has anybody else (or everybody else) had that experience with Fusion 360 lathe? I don't want to waste time on it if it also has major problems. Better the devil you know than the one you don't as they say.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    They are the fields for setting where the NC program calls the tool length & tool radius compensation from

Normally they are the same as the Tool #

The length corrector appears in the NC program as a H#, and is associated with a G43 command ie G43 H1 Z1. will add the value stored in Length Offset #1 on the next Z move

The Radius corrector appears as a D# in certain operations only ie contouring when you need minor adjustment to achieve size because the tool may be smaller than programmed
    - it is activated with a G41 / G42 code ( ie G41 D1 X--- Y---) usually only on a line move, & is de-activated with a G40 code ...... read the machine control manuals for more info
    - radius comp should not be used when pocketing etc
    - compensation only applied on the active plane ie G17 (XY), the other axis is a depth position
    - it is not a 3D compensation- doesn't work on a ball nose radius, only the tool's diameter

These may / may not apply to you, but if you see them in your programs, it could open other options if needed
    Correct but,

it depends on your machine, yes a lot of machines have same H and D values and have special tables (right next to the tool height you would have a comp D value), but many Fanuc controls do not have a different H or D, thus require a D always different then the H, a lot of machines just have a offset table and you could use them for D or H, which means the machine can not tell difference between them its just data.

These values become important based on machine and post used, so for me its very important and all my tools that would use any compensation have different values, and normally I have offset the D's following after the tool change number so if you have 30 tools, the D's start from 31 and continue on, so tool 1 = H1 D31 for example.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by drutort View Post
    Correct but,

it depends on your machine, yes a lot of machines have same H and D values and have special tables (right next to the tool height you would have a comp D value), but many Fanuc controls do not have a different H or D, thus require a D always different then the H, a lot of machines just have a offset table and you could use them for D or H, which means the machine can not tell difference between them its just data.

These values become important based on machine and post used, so for me its very important and all my tools that would use any compensation have different values, and normally I have offset the D's following after the tool change number so if you have 30 tools, the D's start from 31 and continue on, so tool 1 = H1 D31 for example.
    I agree,
    The earlier controllers don't have the H / D fields.....they are the GEOMETRY and WEAR offsets
    ....the #1 WEAR offset is ADDED to the #1 GEOMETRY offset to give a total offset for that offset number.....this is why the H[offset number] MUST differ form the D[offset number]
    ( I do use a D number that is 30 higher....but you could use one that is 2 pages later - so that your cursor stays in the same field )

--- BUT you will find it best if the T# ALWAYS MATCHES the tool length (H0 offset number.
    ( create your own procedure.....and rigidly stick to it......& apply notes in your program, if you (on occasion) have to alter numbers from your standard.