Newbie Having Trouble Calculating Tool Path

Thread: Having Trouble Calculating Tool Path

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Having Trouble Calculating Tool Path

I am currently working on my first SprutCAM project on SprutCam Version 8, and have run into a little bit of trouble with something that seems like it is supposed to be really simple. I've been given the simple task to produce a G-Code from a given .STEP file. All it requires is to drill 25 holes through a quarter inch plate of metal, and then cut out a 4 inch diameter circle around the holes. I have gone through the whole process of identifying the holes in the model, but when I try to run the hole machining operation, it immediately says that it is calculated, but nothing else seems to be happening. The operation icons all have green arrows on them as if the toolpaths were successfully calculated, but there is no toolpath showing onscreen. My toolpath visibility is activated too. I'm curious what I might be missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and you'll probably save this intern from losing his job. Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Having Trouble Calculating Tool Path

Quote Originally Posted by brokellermann View Post
    I am currently working on my first SprutCAM project on SprutCam Version 8, and have run into a little bit of trouble with something that seems like it is supposed to be really simple. I've been given the simple task to produce a G-Code from a given .STEP file. All it requires is to drill 25 holes through a quarter inch plate of metal, and then cut out a 4 inch diameter circle around the holes. I have gone through the whole process of identifying the holes in the model, but when I try to run the hole machining operation, it immediately says that it is calculated, but nothing else seems to be happening. The operation icons all have green arrows on them as if the toolpaths were successfully calculated, but there is no toolpath showing onscreen. My toolpath visibility is activated too. I'm curious what I might be missing. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and you'll probably save this intern from losing his job. Thanks!
    Did you actually add the "center" of the holes to the hole machining operation? Note that there should be a list of items inside of the red circle before Sprutcam will generate any toolpaths.

Having Trouble Calculating Tool Path-sprutcam_holemachining-png

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=wtopace;1724714]Did you actually add the "center" of the holes to the hole machining operation? Note that there should be a list of items inside of the red circle before Sprutcam will generate any toolpaths.

Under Job Assignment, there is a list of 25 holes based off of their coordinates. Is this what I need, or should I be adding somethings else? Also, I am curious if it has anything to do with my fixture and/or workpiece? Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ive attached a file of my project and a screenshot of what I have so far.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like your CAM software might have scaled your STEP file way down when you exported it. You have a 1/4" tool selected, but the holes look to be 0.00025" in diameter. Sprutcam won't try to generate a toolpath that would "gouge" the part by drilling an oversize hole.

Having Trouble Calculating Tool Path-dynorotor1-png

Let me know if reconfiguring your CAD software and re-exporting the drawing fixes your issue.

Edit: Strangely enough, I can't get Sprut to generate any toolpaths with a part this small, I changed the machine to the Tormach2012 profile to get a perspective and it is about the size of a speck of dust =) Perhaps there is a minimum tolerance setting that Sprut rounds down to 0?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I don't have access to the CAD software at the moment, is there a way to prevent SprutCAM from scaling it down in the imports? It seems that even when I don't have SprutCAM convert the design from millimeters to inches, it still scales it down. The original measurements for the holes should have diameters of 6.35 millimeters, or .25 inches, but they appear as 0.00635 millimeters and .00025 inches.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, so I found how to change the scale of the part in the transformation menu, and I turned off the "check for gouges" option in the parameters. This gave me the tool path and allowed me to run a simulation, which is good news! The problem now is that it is drilling the same hole 25 times, instead of moving to each location and drilling the 25 holes in their designated spots.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All is figured out! Im not sure why the scale was messed up through import, but all you have to do to get the scale that you want is select the whole part in the model tab, right click it, and open the transform menu. From there, there is a tab for scale, allowing you to make the proper edits. After I did that, I had to re do the holes because it still had the original .00025 diameter holes. From there, I was able to get the toolpath and simulation I wanted.

Thanks for pointing out that error I had, wtopace. That was really the turning point in this project for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great news! I'm glad you got it all sorted out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad that you were able to achieve some sort of outcome with these struggles. FYI- in the future try to get IGES files to work with any time that you can. They tend to roll a LOT smoother than any other type of import in Sprut for some reason.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pickled View Post
    Glad that you were able to achieve some sort of outcome with these struggles. FYI- in the future try to get IGES files to work with any time that you can. They tend to roll a LOT smoother than any other type of import in Sprut for some reason.
    I always use .igs files with Sprut, the only problem I have had with them is when the model is flawed, too many changes or mods to the model can produce an .igs file that Sprut doesnt like even though its correct in Rhino.
    If I have problems selecting a curve or hole on a model, I go back and redraw the model without changes and it works.

mike sr