Job Zone / Restrict Zone for Drive & Pocketing Ops?

Thread: Job Zone / Restrict Zone for Drive & Pocketing Ops?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Job Zone / Restrict Zone for Drive & Pocketing Ops?

This seems like a simple question, but I'm stumped!

I'm cutting a piece larger than the table (Tormach 770). When using the waterline operation I set a restrict zone for the area off the table and Sprut does the right thing.

Now I'm trying to get the Drive ops and Pocketing ops to work the same way, but they don't have the job zone or restrict zone features for these ops. For the Drive op, I'm using "add faces" to define the areas to cut, but some faces cross outside the table area. For pocketing ops I use "add pocket" for those that fit within the table, but the same problem occurs when pockets cross outside the envelope.

Is there a Job/Restrict zone for these ops?

Is there a way to "split" faces so I can define the areas to cut more precisely?

Thanks!
    --Bryan

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Job Zone / Restrict Zone for Drive & Pocketing Ops?

So I finished programming this part, but it has required adding another setup on each side with the part moved a half-step (about 4") to catch the overhanging pockets. So; cut what's on the table, slide 4" to cut the overhanging pockets, then rotate to cut the other half. Flip and do the same for the other side.

Very annoying to have 3 setups per side when it should only take two.

Love to hear other techniques!
    --Bryan

Downloads
    Uploads

I found the best ways to restrict tool paths if job zones are not doing it. Is to draw a line or box around the area to restrict then make it a fixture and add it to fixture list of the operations you want to restrict. You can add thickness or stock to the line or box for depth. I wrote a small thread called "put it on my tab" in sprut forum that will give you the basics of using line as fixtures. If that don't get you going I can post more info!
    md

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mountaindew,

I appreciate the response. I was unable to find the thread you mention - do you mean forums.sprut.com or some other Sprut forum?

I tried using a fixture, but it has odd behaviors:

Let's say I have 3 ops:
    Op 1 - fixture over unreachable area.
    Op 2 - after rotating the Local CS, uncheck "use previous fixtures", add new fixture representing the new unreachable areas.
    Op 3 - want to continue to use Op 2's fixtures... but it instead shows BOTH Op 1 and Op 2 fixtures.

This is not what I would expect. Do you go through each op and uncheck the box, adding the appropriate fixture manually to every op?

--Bryan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mountaindew
    I can't find the thread you mentioned . I would be interested . dzuber

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started using "Phantom Fixtures" to restrict machined areas and create tabs in the workpiece back in version 7. At least at that time, that was the only way I found that would do it. Works great.